Newsjack - Series 5 Page 21

Quote: comedyoflife @ September 19 2011, 10:51 AM BST

two sketches sent off this week - a 100% improvement from last week in terms of volume - however quality has remained unbroadcastable.

Ambitions for this series are 4 one liners and a sketch. - I'm 3 one liners and a Sketch to go.

Oh well done, you're already doing infinitely better than most of us for this series!

I also sent off two sketches this week, and while I was happy enough to do so I'm sure I'll have changed my mind on their quality/suitability by Thursday!

Newsjack away!

haha it's amazing how much you change your mind on the quality of a sketch knowing it got rejected. This time last week I was convinced my sketch was of Python standard, now I cringe when I read it.

I just stuck with my one sketch and a one-liner this week.

Although I think this weeks comedy skud missiles are more accurate than last weeks turd based mortar rounds.

Quote: comedyoflife @ September 19 2011, 11:06 AM BST

haha it's amazing how much you change your mind on the quality of a sketch knowing it got rejected. This time last week I was convinced my sketch was of Python standard, now I cringe when I read it.

:D Agreed, and then I feel relived my stuff didn't get on as it would have been embarrassing!

Good luck everyone. Two sketches from me - one on midwife shortages and one on Britain turning into a police state. Is it a bad sign if you cringe just typing what your sketch is about?!?

No autoreply.

Quote: comedyoflife @ September 19 2011, 11:06 AM BST

Rejection and failure are diferent things.

Send it to News Revue?

From the Twitter feed in case anyone was worrying unnecessarily:

"As a few people have been asking: don't worry if you don't get an autoreply from the Newsjack email address. We will have received it."

Although I have now triple-checked I typed their e-mail address correctly after not getting the auto-reply.

Finally got round to listening to last week's show after the podcast / Listen again hiccup on Thursday. Enjoyed both John's exam line about 80-85% and BurntOutHack's Katrina line.

Has anyone done a proper trawl of what else people on here got broadcast? Don't be shy now!

Quote: Lazarus Goldfinger @ September 17 2011, 10:27 AM BST

I'm new this whole newsjack palava, but I read that they prefer short, punchy sketches, so I wondering, how long is too long for a newsjack sketch?
From your experiences, what is the acceptable upper limit of a sketch length?

(I'm struggling to crop one of mine down at the moment)

You should bear in mid the fact I've only got 2 sketches on in 4 series and another 'in the mix' when taking my advice. But generally:
- Over 3 pages no. They even say that on the website
- Onto the third page is pushing it. I wrote two sketches they liked that went onto a third page and both times they asked me to re-write it and shorten it.
- I'd say for a nice sketch that builds on the original idea and devevlops it you'd be looking at 1.5 to 2 pages (minutes). Any longer than that it starts to drag
- For a short get in-get out sketch you're looking 0.5-1 page (minutes). That's more than enough set up for one big joke at the end.

There's clearly much more experienced people than me on here so take their advice on board ahead of mine but I used struggle with length and intros. My tips (if you want them) are:
- Intro. You don't need to explain the full story in the intro, just set things up. People listening will know about the big stories. If it's obscure how can you get it down to a line or two (e.g. two computers chatting last week)
- Joke in intro. They nearly always put a joke in the intro to break it up. Force yourself to do this. You don't want to go 20 seconds without something to laugh at
- Dialgoue. Short and punchy. Try speaking it out loud. Is it easy to say? What words could you get rid off? If you see a script from the show (must be one on here from Series 4 somewhere) you might be surprised how short the spoken lines are.
- Keep to one idea. I often get tempted to build in 2 or 3 ideas in a sketch. That's tricky to do in the time. Develop one idea well.
- Bemoan the fact that Morecambe & Wise used to get 12 minutes. Become the next Morecambe & Wise then you can write 12 minutes sketches.

As I say definitely don't treat this as a masterclass, just someone like you who struggled with this and that's what I noted / tried / worked on.

Look at the last post! No wonder I struggle with length.

And end on a knob gag.

I think Stephen's advice is really good here.

Another good tip - each week, try writing double what's required - and throw half of it away. So for Newsjack, write six sketches and bin the three that you think are least funny. This worked for me back in t'day, anyway.

Oh, but please don't end on a knob gag, cos the team will only have to come up with something else. It ain't Newsrevue.

Ah yes. DEFINITELY don't end on a knob gag for Newsjack.

Failed attempt at humour at the end of a massive post.

Two sketches off and away. Fly, my pretties. Just realised I didn't really look into the formatting thang. Just did it in Arial 12pt a la:

BOB: Hello there. What's up?

Type thing. With the occasional mention of an SFX. Ah well, maybe it won't matter.
Two sketches, both monologues, one on Berlusconi's Seduction Tips (bound to have been done before) and one a teacher trying to control her class on Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Good luck everyone... and happy Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Trev

Ok, my first 2 sketches ever sent off. I'm working on On-liners.

I did a sketch on Bush warning Obama over an incoming invasion from the Empire from Star Wars

I also did an interview with the Seccy of State for Education on how to ensure that pupils get a minimum of 9 hours sleep a night.

I bloody keep on forgetting about this! Right, one liners... one liners... one liners... One. Liners. Ummm...

*goes for a walk*

I hate the bloody one liners. Easier to work on a sketch although obv much harder to get one 'on', it seems. Slight self loathing at only having two one liners so far.

Well, it's only because I missed the deadline again.

Hey Leevil how do you manage to stay addicted to cocaine with only one nostril?

Quote: Leevil @ September 19 2011, 2:41 PM BST

one liners... one liners... one liners... One. Liners. Ummm...

*goes for a walk*