Lead Balloon - Series 4 Page 4

Quote: zooo @ June 1 2011, 11:59 PM BST

Huh?

Before series 3 he appeared on Jonathan Ross show and told a story about when he was at a funeral. He said it would be in series 3 but it never was. Thought it may be in series 4.

Ahh.
Oh, I think I might have seen a funeral scene in one of the recent trailers.

Quote: zooo @ June 2 2011, 12:07 AM BST

Ahh.
Oh, I think I might have seen a funeral scene in one of the recent trailers.

"Good"
;)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 1 2011, 4:40 PM BST

And I'm also sick of Dee's tiring act. Okay mate, you're very successful, well off, and yet not satisfied and always depressed. No I don't feel for you, funny enough!

That's only his character, just like John Cleese isn't really a miserable hotel manager.

And unlike Stephen Fry who is genuinely on a luvvie downer today:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a322798/stephen-fry-i-may-well-commit-suicide.html

Alfred, if LB irritates you so much .. then I feel it's doing what it set out to do (with the neutral observers). As for the fans, I'm sure this current series is warming up nicely.

All the best,
Cal :)

I think Alfred should give this another look as Dee's Rick Spleen is really a very traditional British sit-com character; a pompous misanthropic loser who lands on his arse could describe Hancock, Rigsby or Victor Meldrew.

I like Lead Balloon to a point, it's certainly good in places, but the main thing that jars me with the show is that nobody EVER takes Rick's side, no matter how much in the right he is. His kid, his wife, his writing partner, nobody.

I don't know what I was expecting, considering it stars Jack Dee and is called Lead Balloon, but it's also so, unremittingly bleak.

Quote: Millsy @ June 7 2011, 12:34 PM BST

I like Lead Balloon to a point, it's certainly good in places, but the main thing that jars me with the show is that nobody EVER takes Rick's side, no matter how much in the right he is. His kid, his wife, his writing partner, nobody.

Agree totally. There wasn't much of that in the first episode thankfully, but that's always bothered me about the show.

That's always bothered me about Curb, but not this show so far. Very often in this show he does act like a bit of a dick and so I suppose feels less worthy of others sticking up for him.

Yes, Curb too. I think it more extreme in Lead Balloon though, as Rick's just a bit silly and doesn't want to look bad, whilst sometimes Larry does appear to be an actual dick.

Quote: Aaron @ June 7 2011, 5:07 PM BST

Yes, Curb too. I think it more extreme in Lead Balloon though, as Rick's just a bit silly and doesn't want to look bad, whilst sometimes Larry does appear to be an actual dick.

Though Larry is almost always right, Rick often acts in quite a weaselly way and sets himself up for misery; Larry tells it like it is but people still poo on him.

Pig was a good solid start to the new series, when it really hits the heights (and it did occasionally in this episode) Lead Balloon is up there with One Foot in the Grave and Fawlty Towers.

Really enjoyed this week's, though why was Big Suze in it? She didn't do anything! Bit of a thankless role.

Another enjoyable episode with more LOL moments than last week. That said, it could do with stretching itself and leaving the comfort zone ocassionally.

Liked that Rick found something (finally) that he was effortlessly good at. Pity it's not something comedy-related though.