Lead Balloon - Series 4 Page 3

That pig is what Magda the housekeeper would look like if she blacked up.

You're fizzing them out tonight Don. Don't wear up all the 1973 material at once, though.

Quote: Badge @ May 31 2011, 11:53 PM BST

Or if I don't want zooo-wrath, it was Ingrid Oliver, soon to be seen in a sketch show: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/watson_oliver/

:) Thanks!

Quote: Badge @ May 31 2011, 11:59 PM BST

You're fizzing them out tonight Don. Don't wear up all the 1973 material at once, though.

How rude.

Quote: zooo @ May 31 2011, 10:50 PM BST

What was she off?

I knew her from her role on Peep Show.

Not totally keen on this show. I watched last night's episode and I admit there were bits that I liked, but the ending did not work for me when Rick was trying to get the pig out out from under the table. I thought it was good at first, but then the shit came and that turned me right off. In my view, shit in comedy is rather like Elizabeth Mainwaring - much funnier in the mind than on the screen.

Well, watched the 1st episode and to be honest, I was happier than a pig in ****, to have LB back on the telly.

You can say a lot of things about Lead Balloon, as Jack's dry humour is not everyone's cuppa-tea. But ... it's consistently funny in a unique kind of way and that's the appeal of the "sitcom" to me.

The only tiny point being, that after his dealings with the pig under the kitchen table, I expected the typical routine from previous episodes, where there was a big splash in the papers, leaving Rick to do some apology speech etc etc ... but this time around, they played it very low key (didn't even read anything out, being that the reporters left Rick out of the story .. hmm?)

Anyway, look forward to more of Rick's awkward moments.

All the best!

I thought Magda had the funniest bit with her "hunting the neighbours pig" spiel.

Have they changed the way it's shot? It looked different on screen than previous series.

Very happy to see this return. It feels like ages since the first run of series three finished. (Anyone know when that was?)

A gentle opening to the new series, almost as if we were being deliberately re-introduced to all the characters, maybe for the benefit of first-timers.

Imo series two was the strongest so far, and felt like the funniest. By series two, Jack Dee's acting had massively improved and the show really got into its stride.

Michael is a superb character (brilliantly performed). Marty, who I didn't like at first, has really grown on me and totally won me over.

Maybe with this fourth series, the show will have run its course? The plot idea for this episode (the interview), and the business with the pig, though nicely executed, didn't strike me as the most inspired of ideas for an episode. Of course, it might be way too early to be saying this, and a few more episodes in, I may well be eating my words, and hailing this as the best series so far.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ June 1 2011, 12:52 PM BST

Have they changed the way it's shot? It looked different on screen than previous series.

I felt that and there was also something different about the pace. Perhaps there was more focus on Jack Dee's character and like Rick Spleen he was getting concerned about other people getting more laughs than he does.

Love the Watership Down faux pas.

I gave this a proper watch for the first time. What a godalmighty chore it was. Surely a sitcom should make being funny its priority? Yes I get the (incredibly facile) joke, that its flat style is reminding us of its title, but this was just too much. It really was atrocious: limply written, self conscious, ponderous to the point of being almost dead, never mind flat, derivative of other 'sitcoms' in theme and content, all of which deliver style over comedy.

It had glimmers of social satire and self effacing humour, (as they all do, groan) but when you consider it's written by someone who chooses to live that lifestyle and has actually done very well for themselves, I find it find quite rich, self indulgent and very insincere when it tries to send itself up. It's like Hollywood directors making award winning films viciously satirising the fat lifestyles of the corporate rich, then making millions themselves and moving next door to them. It is just so bogus. I've had enough of this cleverdick, so called 'subtle' lifestye comedy crap. It is sly, slighter than slight, overstyled rubbish.

And I'm also sick of Dee's tiring act. Okay mate, you're very successful, well off, and yet not satisfied and always depressed. No I don't feel for you, funny enough! Have you tried taking Prozac? Works for a lot people. Instead you'd rather make tens of thousands consider taking it themselves. Is it any wonder these 'feel bad' shows tend to have low ratings? Sitcoms should be for cheering folk up. And making them laugh!!

Ouch! So you're saying you're not a fan? Laughing out loud

I enjoyed it, and thought it was somewhat on par with past shows. I also thought the pig shit bit was a bit overboard, but not a huge deal.

I certainly look forward to the rest of the series.

I wonder when the grave gag mentioned in a Jonathan Ross interview will make an appearance?

Huh?