Lead Balloon - Series 4 Page 14

Oh no, I agree entirely. Just that's how I saw it at the time.

Dan

It looks like next week Rick reaps the reward of his captivity. I'd like him not to blow it and end the series on a high, sticking it to Marty and Mel et al.

Quote: swerytd @ July 1 2011, 9:59 AM BST

Oh no, I agree entirely

*marks Dan down as a weak yes man*

<feebly> .... no... <chip twists arm behind back> OkyesyesYesYES! Let go!

Dan

Finally finished 'blade.'. Had to watch it in two parts because it was so boring. Joke free, style over content. For an example of how not to write comedy consider the moment when Coltrane grabs Rick by the throat. Great unexpected moment and reveal of Robbie. Cue priceless line: "I think you better do what he says."

If you think this episode was either good or funny then you don't know anything about writing comedy - or probably writing. (I realise this includes genuine funnyman Swertyd, but I assume he must be lying or taking the piss)

Compare with Porridge episode 'The Desperate Hours'. Even the title is better.

Wasn't The Desperate Hours title just a lift from the book, play and film (starring Humphry Bogart) of the same name?

JD knows when a gig is starting to die and this one is doing just that.

Previous series were excellent, strong funny characters with plenty of very funny stories...getting a little bit tired now. Just like Father Ted did in series 3.

I said I wouldn't watch any more but due to unforeseen circumstances - I had set iPlayer to record the series on my laptop ages ago and found myself on a train at the weekend with a loud man reading loud stories to his kid and I needed to stick my earphones in for some reason or other - I watched episode 5.

Comfortably the best episode of the series, but virtually laugh free. I'm not sure what it says about a sitcom when the best episode isn't funny, but that's what I felt.

The performances were great. It's expected of Coltrane but it's also a reminder that he is on telly jack shit nowadays. Somebody else, please, write him a part! Dee was also very good. A lot of people seem to think he can't act but I think he did the business in this episode, and I've never seen him as a weak link in the show either. The direction was also very good, which always helps these two-handers.

The big error for me was the press conference. Save that for next week if you must, but it came across as being what the writers thought of as a really funny punchline to the joke they had set up earlier (Rick being honest for once). For me it undermined anything positive I had to say about a laugh-free sitcom episode.

I won't watch next week.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 4 2011, 6:52 PM BST

Finally finished 'blade.'. Had to watch it in two parts because it was so boring. Joke free, style over content. For an example of how not to write comedy consider the moment when Coltrane grabs Rick by the throat. Great unexpected moment and reveal of Robbie. Cue priceless line: "I think you better do what he says."

If you think this episode was either good or funny then you don't know anything about writing comedy - or probably writing. (I realise this includes genuine funnyman Swertyd, but I assume he must be lying or taking the piss)

Compare with Porridge episode 'The Desperate Hours'. Even the title is better.

Agreed.
I think some writers must have a sort of 'bucket list' of episodes they want to write before they die.
The old 'two guys in a room' is a classic.
Trouble is, you should only do it if you can at least match those that have gone before.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ June 28 2011, 10:34 PM BST

Couldn't stop watching the last episode. Think they should have left out the post title press conference scene and just left it open as to wether he got out without him waking up.

I take this back, I thought this was the last ep of the series. Just found out there is another episode on tonight.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 5 2011, 1:46 PM BST

Agreed.
I think some writers must have a sort of 'bucket list' of episodes they want to write before they die.

The trouble is it shouldn't cause them to die...

Well this is becoming more like a comedy drama.

I get the feeling Rick - sorry Jack - is wanting to wind this up.

I couldn't understand why Rick wouldn't just sign the neighbour's statement backstage at the bravery awards. I certainly didn't believe he'd lock him in the dressing room.

Poor.

There were many things that didn't stack up over the whole series. Better to remember the earlier series and lay this one quietly to rest.

I admire the principle/plot behind this final episode, but the flaws are clearly visible in "a reality check" kind of way.

As it was touched on above, the clear flaw come from all the dealings with the annoying neighbour. One question I would have, is how a local neighbour would have access to such areas in the BBC (or whatever it's supposed to present?). Also, we understand the friction caused by Rick's window issue ... but why he would be so hell bent on not signing it under those conditions and pushing/locking the neighbour in his dressing room, is seriously far fetched in my opinion.

However, without picking holes in it, I enjoyed this series for what it loosely represented ... entertainment.

All the best,
Cal :)

Yes, we were asked to believe that a minor planning dispute was more important to Rick than his big comeback chance.