BBC DVD cuts Page 2

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 12 2011, 6:46 PM GMT

Here's hoping that these 'racist controversy' edits don't extend beyond the field of comedy into documentaries and beyond

Last time The Dambusters was shown on TV Guy Gibson's dog's name had changed to digger Huh?

I have found a sound sample and transcript of the supposedly 'offensive' piece that was cut. IMO it really is not that bad and is very funny and important to the scene:

Removal man (to the other removal man): It's no good. Here - you go for an ambulance, I'll get some help.

An Indian onlooker in his garden is astonished to see a figure start emerging from the cauldron of tar. He calls his wife to see.

Frank: Good afternoon - is this the North End council estate?

Frank (seeing the onlookers are not understanding him): English man fallen in the cauldron.

They still don't understand.

Frank: 'Scuse me - it's very hot in here. In fact, it's boiling. You give me a hand?

The Indian women clutches her head in horror.

Frank: No, no, no, no, no - not a "head", a "hand".

Frank climbs out of the cauldron but manages to scrunch his groin on the side...

Frank: Ooh! That won't do my married life any good!

Frank (to the onlookers): Thank you very much. English man very grateful to Indian brother.

Onlooker: Would English brother like a cup of tea?

Frank notices something lying ruined on the ground.

Frank: Oh, me saxifrages!

Onlooker: Ah - me, Buta Singh.

The removal men return. Frank strides indignantly up to them.

Removal man: Mr Spencer?!?

Frank: You will be hearing from my legal department... and my tailor - I only had this on approval.

He slaps shut the tar-soaked lapels of his suit and storms off.

The episode then continues with the first scene in the new house with Betty.

http://www.steve-p.org/sm/movhomis.htm (for audio clip)

Oh, now that's interesting. That would suggest it's missing from my DVD too, but I'm sure I've seen it on there...

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 9:50 PM GMT

Oh, now that's interesting. That would suggest it's missing from my DVD too, but I'm sure I've seen it on there...

Aaron do you have the un-cut version of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Moving House?

Just checked - no. :( Really disappointed. Must have seen it on a TV repeat at some point recently-ish.

I'm sure I've seen that scene, as set out above, on Gold recently.

Quote: Oldrocker @ February 13 2011, 12:10 AM GMT

I'm sure I've seen that scene, as set out above, on Gold recently.

Stupid isn't it, they broadcast it uncut and then release the cut version, you would have thought it would be the other way round ??

Quote: fasty @ February 12 2011, 8:04 PM GMT

Last time The Dambusters was shown on TV Guy Gibson's dog's name had changed to digger Huh?

I've never seen the movie but I assume the original name began with an "N"?

Don't they discuss Nigger the dog from Dambusters in The Office Christmas Special?

Quote: chipolata @ February 13 2011, 7:12 AM GMT

Don't they discuss Nigger the dog from Dambusters in The Office Christmas Special?

I can't remember that episode of The Office but they seems to be a rule for one and a rule for another, silly!! Anyone have a name or department for who is responsible so I can ask them some questions of why? I want to hear their reasoning.

I remember an cut from a VHS version of Porridge. In the episode "Pardon Me", they cut out part of the opening scene where Fletcher and Blanco are playing Monopoly.

Talking of bewildering cuts, the teddy bears screwing on Rik's bed were cut from the 2007 DVD release of The Young Ones despite having been in the earlier VHS and DVD releases. Though I've been informed here they were never in the episode (Nasty) when it first aired. Not sure about that.

Quote: maidenpriest @ February 11 2011, 10:24 PM GMT

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin - Series 3 A massive cut where Perrin's associates dressed up as a 'Rastafarin', 'Indian or Pakistania' and a 'Black & White Minstrel' to make the up tight anti non-white neighbours think they were moving into the same straight street. Now this scene was taking the piss out of those that are racist. So why the cut?

Was that cut out of the DVD? I have the boxset of Perrin and that scene is on the DVD. I completely agree with you, though. Anyone who has taken exception to that scene has missed the point, and most of the other referred to scenes. And besides, cutting them out of the DVDs just seeks to demean the programmes themselves.

Don't see the logic in cutting "racist" scenes from the TV reruns, also; if someone who's sensitive on that topic sees a sanitised version on TV, they might like it enough to go out and buy the DVD. Then when they buy the DVD, they'll see the actual full versions with the "offensive" scenes in it, and not only will be offended, but will have been effectively conned out of their money.

I don't recall what episode or scene, but I seem to recall that the recent Perrin box set had an incredible 5 minutes cut from one single episode, seemingly just so it would fit on the disc.

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2011, 3:56 PM GMT

I don't recall what episode or scene, but I seem to recall that the recent Perrin box set had an incredible 5 minutes cut from one single episode, seemingly just so it would fit on the disc.

Was it this box set? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001T46TCE/comedyguide-20/

If so, this might be the aforementioned one that had the other scene cut from it as well. The box set I have is different to that one, which would explain the differences.

(Edit: Yeah, the one I have is here (albeit, that one is VHS): http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQVMX/comedyguide-21/
Different box set, it seems.)