BBC DVD cuts

I wanted to post a poll to see what peoples' opinions are here about all the cuts that the BBC make on their DVDs in the so-called name of not being seen to be racist, but it doesn't look like the forums have that function. Every cut I have seen so far from what I remember of the original TV transmission, just doesn't make sense in the context of the programme and for me only spoiled the scene or joke.

The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin - Series 3

A massive cut where Perrin's associates dressed up as a 'Rastafarin', 'Indian or Pakistania' and a 'Black & White Minstrel' to make the up tight anti non-white neighbours think they were moving into the same straight street. Now this scene was taking the piss out of those that are racist. So why the cut?

Fawlty Towers

On the outside of the DVD set it says a word has been bleepedAngry I have not watched it yet, I suspect it was a line by the Major, which would have been normal launguage for someone like him and of that generation. Can anyone confirm in what episode this is in?

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em Series 3 - Moving House (my favourite episode)

A really stupid scene cut where Frank falls into a barrel of tar, emerges covered in the sticky stuff, and then says "Good afternoon..." as if nothing is wrong to a bemused Indian neighbour. Would this have been cut if the colour of tar was white? Now Mr Singh has been cut, Frank says "Good afternoon..." to nobody! Utterly stupid. :(

Can we make a definitive list of other stupid so-called politically correct BBC edit choices for their DVDs, and please state whether you agree it is the right thing to do for the BBC to butcher and sanitise these classic sitcoms? It really makes me so sad.
:(

They're not BBC cuts, they're 2entertain cuts (in some cases with a legacy in BBC Video - still not really the BBC as we'd normally talk about them though.

I know there's a lot hacked out of the Only Fools And Horses releases. The DVD of the A Royal Flush special even goes so far as to specifically state that it is a 2004 edit of the programme rather than the original, unmolested programme.

Most cuts have traditionally been for music rights reasons, but now they seem to be for the minutest of racial references. It's absolutely disgusting and thoroughly communist to edit history like this.

'From Prussia With Love' depends on a racial line. Cut that and there's no point in releasing the episode.

Leave it in and why cut other references?

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 12:34 AM GMT

They're not BBC cuts, they're 2entertain cuts (in some cases with a legacy in BBC Video - still not really the BBC as we'd normally talk about them though.

I know there's a lot hacked out of the Only Fools And Horses releases. The DVD of the A Royal Flush special even goes so far as to specifically state that it is a 2004 edit of the programme rather than the original, unmolested programme.

Most cuts have traditionally been for music rights reasons, but now they seem to be for the minutest of racial references. It's absolutely disgusting and thoroughly communist to edit history like this.

Hello Aaron, thanks for tidy up my first post
Wave

Music rights, although annoying I can accept because there is logic to the decisions - i.e. they are too tight to pay out the music rights holder. But those like the cut in SMDAW I just don't get. Would it have been to avoid paying the gentleman who played Mr Singh? Perhaps that actor wanted his work cut out? I need to find some answers and I will!

2Entertain is the video retail department for the BBC and is owned by the BBC. I.e. we pay for it with our licence money, so that does make it 'ours'. The people who produce the DVDs are called Second Sight Films. I really have issues with what they are doing so any ideas what I can do about it? I feel writing a letter would just go straight in the bin! :(

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 12:34 AM GMT

It's absolutely disgusting and thoroughly communist to edit history like this.

"Let's pretend it never happened" is an appropriate response for an embarrassing incident between a few friends but it makes no sense when you're talking about something that happened in front of millions of people. A simple disclaimer with a few sentences about the BBC's commitment to equality and historical accuracy would have sufficed.

No, we pay for 2entertain when we buy DVDs released from it. Unless I've a gross misunderstanding, the settlement under which the BBC was first allowed to start selling products means that the licence fee can not BY LAW be used to fund any part of BBC Worldwide - including the old BBC Video or the modern 2entertain. Even if it did receive funding, 2entertain operates as a completely separate company, and you say the box set was produced by another again, so it's certainly not the BBC's fault! So no, it's not ours at all. Sorry.

As for what you can do ... Start a petition perhaps, see if you can get some interest from the press? Highlight to some TV journo how these shows are being butchered for the most spurious of reasons - might be best to go on the angle of how they're then still often marketed as 'complete' when they're clearly not. I'm sure more people would be more angry if they really knew what they were being sold. That some sets have a brief 'contractual obligations' disclaimer in tiny writing on the back is not good enough.

Quote: DaButt @ February 12 2011, 12:58 AM GMT

"Let's pretend it never happened" is an appropriate response for an embarrassing incident between a few friends but it makes no sense when you're talking about something that happened in front of millions of people. A simple disclaimer with a few sentences about the BBC's commitment to equality and historical accuracy would have sufficed.

Totally agree, but they are making cuts when a non-western person appears on screen and just editing them out like they are scared to show them! It's crazy, and IMO they are being racist by doing that unless there is a real reason for it. It's been over 25 years since I saw the episode of SMDAE on the TV and I can't remember if there was any dialogue between Frank Spencer and Mr Singh, but Frank would not have said "Good afternoon, Paki", it is not in his nature and would have been remembered. So why the cut? Even if the dialogue was a bit 'racist' then just include a shot of Mr Singh so Frank is not talking to no one! :(

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 1:09 AM GMT

As for what you can do ... Start a petition perhaps, see if you can get some interest from the press? Highlight to some TV journo how these shows are being butchered for the most spurious of reasons - might be best to go on the angle of how they're then still often marketed as 'complete' when they're clearly not. I'm sure more people would be more angry if they really knew what they were being sold. That some sets have a brief 'contractual obligations' disclaimer in tiny writing on the back is not good enough.

Good advice, now which newspaper would be the best - The Sun or Daily Mail? I mean does anyone still buy newspapers these days? :D

It really makes me mad when they gut old shows and movies because of music licensing. If they're OK with charging a website a penny to stream a song then they should take a penny per DVD and consider themselves lucky that people are willing to pay for a song that they've heard for free thousands of times.

Quote: maidenpriest @ February 12 2011, 1:15 AM GMT

Good advice, now which newspaper would be the best - The Sun or Daily Mail? I mean does anyone still buy newspapers these days? :D

No idea - but certainly not the Grauniad. They'd support cuts (for once).

Have they released 'It Half Hot Mum' yet, they must of had a nightmare trying to edit out the 'Indian Gents' on that one, incidently the guy who played Mr Singh was also in 'It Half Hot Mum', his name is Babar Bhatti, and his last role was as the restuarant owner in 'Only Fools And Horses', apparently he has not acted since 1981 and is now an insurance broker !!

Now I wonder (wild imagination of mine here so bear with me)if he quit the BBC because there PC regime killed his livelyhood and he couldn't get the cameo's in the sitcoms and therefore will not allow them to use his part on the 'Mothers' DVD's and requested his part was cut, just a thought and I could understand if that was the case???

Yes, all of It Ain't Half Hot Mum is available on DVD. No idea what cuts must have been made to that one though.

Quote: Aaron @ February 12 2011, 1:27 AM GMT

Yes, all of It Ain't Half Hot Mum is available on DVD. No idea what cuts must have been made to that one though.

I think then, that the memory of that is best for me. My blood presure can not take it if I watch it and notice edits! :(

Quote: maidenpriest @ February 12 2011, 1:15 AM GMT

Totally agree, but they are making cuts when a non-western person appears on screen and just editing them out like they are scared to show them! It's crazy, and IMO they are being racist by doing that unless there is a real reason for it. It's been over 25 years since I saw the episode of SMDAE on the TV and I can't remember if there was any dialogue between Frank Spencer and Mr Singh, but Frank would not have said "Good afternoon, Paki", it is not in his nature and would have been remembered. So why the cut? Even if the dialogue was a bit 'racist' then just include a shot of Mr Singh so Frank is not talking to no one! :( Good advice, now which newspaper would be the best - The Sun or Daily Mail? I mean does anyone still buy newspapers these days? :D

Both the Mail and The Sun are vehemently anti-Beeb, so even if it's not Auntie's fault, they'd still like it. Of course the irony is that it was probably fear of negative press affecting sales that lead to the cuts in the first place.

Here's hoping that these 'racist controversy' edits don't extend beyond the field of comedy into documentaries and beyond: otherwise we will be lumbered with box-sets of The World At War with all footage of Hitler erased from the original newsreel footage - accurate otherwise - and also the aftermath of Hiroshima resembling a Disney theme park.

Quote: chipolata @ February 12 2011, 1:11 PM GMT

Both the Mail and The Sun are vehemently anti-Beeb

Anyone/thing anti-Beeb is evil and should be killed with a hammer.