BBC DVD cuts Page 3

Quote: Void @ February 17 2011, 4:32 PM GMT

Was it this box set? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001T46TCE/comedyguide-20/

No.

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Aaron @ February 17 2011, 6:00 PM GMT

No.

See Amazon product listing

Ah, I see! The reviews also mention the "racist" scene being cut out.

(By the way, I didn't know you could embed the amazon link & image. Thanks for the tip! :) )

Quote: Void @ February 17 2011, 4:32 PM GMT

Was it this box set? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001T46TCE/comedyguide-20/

If so, this might be the aforementioned one that had the other scene cut from it as well. The box set I have is different to that one, which would explain the differences.

(Edit: Yeah, the one I have is here (albeit, that one is VHS): http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AQVMX/comedyguide-21/
Different box set, it seems.)

I bought the new one (5 disc set with documentary and The Legacy Of R P) but then saw the cuts, sent it back and got the original DVD box set from 10 years ago, which does not have the cuts (pictured).

Wish I could do the same with Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, so I have just sent it back in the hope I can find the full version of Moving House elsewhere. If anyone has it please let me know!

Quote: maidenpriest @ February 18 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

I bought the new one (5 disc set with documentary and The Legacy Of R P) but then saw the cuts, sent it back and got the original DVD box set from 10 years ago, which does not have the cuts (pictured).

Wish I could do the same with Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, so I have just sent it back in the hope I can find the full version of Moving House elsewhere. If anyone has it please let me know!

Yeah, that's the boxset I've got, too. Can't help you with Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, I'm afraid, but I know someone who *might* have an original. I'll ask him, if you like. :)

Quote: maidenpriest @ February 18 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

Seems like your best option is to record the repeats from GOLD. But even those are liable to have other cuts made.

So unless you've a contact in the BBC's Film & TV Video Library...

Quote: Aaron @ February 18 2011, 2:31 PM GMT

Seems like your best option is to record the repeats from GOLD. But even those are liable to have other cuts made.

So unless you've a contact in the BBC's Film & TV Video Library...

Is it possible perhaps that a VHS version wouldn't have the cuts? Steptoe's 1973 Christmas Special on the DVD had some lines in it that were cut out of the VHS version, and some different lines that weren't on the video.

Possible, yes, but as your Steptoe example proves, there are no such guaratees, sadly. Cuts made for early VHS releases even seem to have made it into broadcast tapes in a few cases. Until a distributor develops some integrity and either chooses to list each cut/change or release programmes as first broadcast, it really is trial and error. Depressing.