The Life And Times Of Vivienne Vyle Page 13

Quote: David Chapman @ November 9, 2007, 8:08 PM

It just goes to show that once you're established you don't have to bother.

You can literally get away with murder and stuff all the upcoming new talent.

Dave - I think you and me were gonna finish our comedy careers on 'Last of the Summer wine' weren't we? Looks like we may have to start them on there at this rate! :$

Come on guys!!!! Lets be nice. Jen Saunders is without doubt, an incredibly talented lady.
Forget about your opinions on VV. Which I might add, I liked.

You can throw Victoria wood at me & I swear I would watch her fly past. However when it comes to French & Saunders I remain as always in awe at their talent.

You Go Gals..............

Yeah, her last few projects haven't exactly made me laugh my arse off, but overall her career has been amazing. The first few series of Absolutely Fabulous, and most of French & Saunders is f**king hilarious.

Yep of course! Ab Fab very funny indeed! :)

Quote: Charley @ November 10, 2007, 1:50 AM

Jen Saunders is without doubt, an incredibly talented lady.

However when it comes to French & Saunders I remain as always in awe at their talent.

Errr

I did not want to like the VV show, but it is very good.

It is sophisticated compared to AbFab.

Jennifer is a woman with a dark & very naughty sense of humour. Her talent is delicious. I want to see her tits.

Do you reckon they're firm and pliant?

(I can't believe that I just said that.)

If I was a dude, I'd definitely want to see 'em too. She's hot. :)

i loved it, it was both and funny and moving. thats what i love in a show. the cast is great. jennifer saunders playing a cold character is diferent and i like the change. miranda richardson is too great as helena.

For what it's worth, I really liked it too. Thought it was excellent and I'm no Jennifer Saunders fan (really didn't like Ab Fab, don't think French & Saunders is all that funny.)

Dan

Too often people expect Jennifer Saunders work to be the same as Absolutely Fabulous because that's familiar and what they recognize. When she turns out anything brilliant that isn't spun straight off the vein of French & Saunders it defies the expectations set out and people don't get it or think it's dull.

The press takes a lot of blame in building those expectations for the audience by trying to relate Saunders' work back to Ab Fab, picking out strains of similarity, i.e. "it's about women", not recognizing the complete separation from the outrageousness of Ab Fab.

This newer work is much more subtle in its comedy, so much so that it's in bad form to even call them sitcoms. It's not a series of sketches with quick jokes. The humor grows out the story and character development.

For the record, I think Vivienne Vyle has some bloody brilliant writing in it, but I also don't think it really caught until the third episode, and by that point the season was half over. Anyone who didn't already think it was wonderful had gone off and left it alone. From what I can tell the next season is in production, and it fully deserves its second chance.

This does seem strange. These Jennifer Saunders fans all seem to appear from America.

Traditionally of course they don't understand our humour. Maybe they like her latest stuff because it isn't that funny but then most popular American stuff is just gag gag gag with no sense of realism.

What I want to know is are these shown in America and if so don't you watch any other British stuff?

Dave, just to partially answer, from American friends I gather that Saunders is really rather huge over there, certainly in the comedy world; moreso than here. Absolutely Fabulous is particularly loved, I believe. No idea about Vivienne Vyle, but Jam & Jerusalem is broadcast as 'Clatterford'.

Why did Jennifer Saunders make this dreadful show !!!
Saunders should have made more episodes of Absolutely Fabulous not this garbage !!!

Because the BBC indulged her with a high fee, I would guess.