The Life And Times Of Vivienne Vyle Page 12

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 6, 2007, 7:47 PM

Point is then, don't sell it as 'comedy' as opposed to 'comedy-drama'. There is huge difference.

If you write a comedy with scope for drama, it must establish itself first as a comedy. Audiences forgave (and were sentimental for) the down-beat scenes in, oh, I don't know, 'Only Fools And Horses', once they knew that they were primarily watching an out-and-out comedy. Similarily were the emotional scenes in 'The Office'. Dramas are allowed comic elements, comedies have to be comedies before they can be anything else.

Yes, I agree entirely. What I saw was hopelessly muddled and wasn't "sitcom", which is why I'm sticking by the scientific fact that it bombed in preview and was rewritten with more dramatic elements. (I'm using Dr Fox's version of scientific fact here.)

It was really good tonight!
I wish I'd watched it a bit more regularly now.

Only watched the last few minutes, but yes, not bad.

"F**k me."
"Absolutely!"

Has the world gone mad?

Where is the comedy? Thursdays are bleedin' miserable.

By the way, I've wondering what to call this hybrid of comedy and drama - dramady is the usual word I think, but this was more like bad karma.

This may be a show I'll have to download and watch in one sitting because the first couple of episodes didn't impress me, but quite a few people who usually like the same comedy as me like this show, apparently it is a lot more subtle than I gave it credit for.

I think it's as subtle as a brick

I'm with Badge on this one. "Subtle" is the argument of someone who is desperate to find something funny in a terminally unfunny programme.

It's a drama with moments of dry comedy.
It should NEVER have been advertised as a sitcom.

But is it? It doesn't even feel like a drama to me. The whole show really does 'feel' like it's trying to be a sitcom. It's just forgotten the 'com'.

Like so many other of Jennifer Saunders' recent programmes.

What others are there?
Oh, Jam and Jerusalem you mean?

I like this! Jen Saunders yet again proves her great talent.

Quote: zooo @ November 9, 2007, 11:42 AM

What others are there?
Oh, Jam and Jerusalem you mean?

And that Bucket show a month or so back. Utterly tragic.

It just goes to show that once you're established you don't have to bother.

You can literally get away with murder and stuff all the upcoming new talent.

On that note have you heard about Jennifer Saunders' Executions next friday?

The most worrying thing is, I had to check in my TV guide to see if that was actually a real programme.

Yes, that is the level TV has descended to, my friends.