Town Heads Addicts. Page 4

Quote: Leevil @ June 1, 2007, 11:45 PM

We've all heard your opinion. If you really do want to leave Best Wishes, you'll move onto another thread and offer you criticisms somewhere else.

Why single out Charley?

This is incredible. I'm not singling out Charley. Her's were the first pages I read. I commented on them, offering a writer's perspective. Next thing I know, she's hysterical and others are joining in with personal abuse.
It's crazy.
The lack of self awareness around here is amazing.

Well look at some others then. There's loads on thre Critiques section.

Give us some idea of your pedigree and we MAY takeyou seriously.

You didn't have to reply.

Move on and stop harassing dear, sweet charley.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 1, 2007, 11:48 PM

This is incredible. I'm not singling out Charley. Her's were the first pages I read. I commented on them, offering a writer's perspective. Next thing I know, she's hysterical and others are joining in with personal abuse.
It's crazy.
The lack of self awareness around here is amazing.

I agree that there's a lack of self awareness. You've made 20 posts and they are all about Charley's work. Move along now.
Best wishes.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 1, 2007, 11:51 PM

Well look at some others then. There's loads on thre Critiques section.

Give us some idea of your pedigree and we MAY takeyou seriously.

Professional writer for 19 years, numerous scripts sold, several produced.
But why should that matter? I could be lying. It's the internet.
The fact is, I offered some clear reasons for why Charley's pages do not work.
Whether YOU take me seriously is irrelevant, David. But if people take their writing seriously, they should learn to recognise their failings.
Only then will they have a chance of improving. If they don't, they'll just tread water, posting pages on boards for their mates.
As I said, I am sorry I found Charley's pages so poor, but pretending otherwise is no use to anyone.
I had lunch with a BBC director on Tuesday to discuss a new project. The chat turned to unsolicited scripts and he despaired of the quality.
I wonder if the people who write some of these scripts even watch TV, so poor is their grasp of the form.

I'm guessing it went like I'm Alan Partridge.

Did you suggest Monkey Tennis and run out shouting, "Smell my cheese?".

Quote: Leevil @ June 2, 2007, 12:01 AM

I'm guessing it went like I'm Alan Partridge.

Did you suggest Monkey Tennis and run out shouting, "Smell my cheese?".

Yes, that's precisely how it went. (shakes head)

I had dinner with a man dressed as a gopher. He had some interesting ideas on redefining the fundementals of SQL.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 1, 2007, 11:59 PM

Professional writer for 19 years, numerous scripts sold, several produced.
But why should that matter? I could be lying. It's the internet.
The fact is, I offered some clear reasons for why Charley's pages do not work.
Whether YOU take me seriously is irrelevant, David. But if people take their writing seriously, they should learn to recognise their failings.
Only then will they have a chance of improving. If they don't, they'll just tread water, posting pages on boards for their mates.
As I said, I am sorry I found Charley's pages so poor, but pretending otherwise is no use to anyone.
I had lunch with a BBC director on Tuesday to discuss a new project. The chat turned to unsolicited scripts and he despaired of the quality.
I wonder if the people who write some of these scripts even watch TV, so poor is their grasp of the form.

Really Alan, Charley's stuff seemed like a breath of fresh air. Most of us were doing similar-ish things and then she comes along with these which really have impact and (I think) originality.

As I said before there are so many differnt types of comedy from Bottom to Terry & June. Do you like both of these? They were both very successful.

Quote: charley rance @ June 1, 2007, 5:40 PM

Laughing out loud
That was classic. Come on then Mr Alexander. Lets see a sketch of yours with Pace, believable dialogue, recognisable characters and heart from YOU!

The point that sketch was making was once an addict always an addict. MUCH LIKE ONCE A PLONKER ALWAYS A PLONKER.

I see you became a member today. Which one of the current members are you? I have a feeling you are using an allias

Fair comment though friend.

This was my first response to your first post. The end states, "Fair comment my friend". You were the one who become 'hysterical' as you put it. Not I.
I laughed and said 'classic' meaning a good remark on your part to make. I was being friendly as well as sticking up for my own little sketch.

I would appreciate it if you would go to another thread and remove yourself from this one. If you ARE as you claim, a writer, then stop writing the same thing over & over again.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 2, 2007, 12:05 AM

Really Alan, Charley's stuff seemed like a breath of fresh air. Most of us were doing similar-ish things and then she comes along with these which really have impact and (I think) originality.

As I said before there are so many differnt types of comedy from Bottom to Terry & June. Do you like both of these? They were both very successful.

I'm not a great fan of either of those shows, which seem of their time. In fairness, Terry and June was quite tightly plotted, to a formula that seemed successful.

Charley's scripts - which I was not singling out - may seem original to you, but to me they do lack wit and charm.

I would be quite astonished if they were picked up. I may be wrong - it's a strange business - but they are incredibly amateurish.

Earlier tonight, post curry, I read some of JohnnyD's script. It has some thought about characterisation, some good lines and - while not yet perfect - seems to have been written by someone with something to say.

I am terribly sorry if my comments seem harsh, but it is important to be realistic. I had two years of rejection at the start of my career - but I learned from it.

A.A. Impressive though the above response is, I am curious to know whether your writing experience is in comedy or some other genre. Personally I think Charley has a very original mind. If I see what I believe is a talent in someone's work then I personally try to encourage and nurture it, not blast it to bits. How have you offered any encouragement or guidance at all in this exchange? Implying that someone's work is 'poorly executed' (or whatever your exact words were) can hardly be described as 'helpful'.

Quote: losaavedra @ June 2, 2007, 12:14 AM

A.A. Impressive though the above response is, I am curious to know whether your writing experience is in comedy or some other genre. Personally I think Charley has a very original mind. If I see what I believe is a talent in someone's work then I personally try to encourage and nurture it, not blast it to bits. How have you offered any encouragement or guidance at all in this exchange? Implying that someone's work is 'poorly executed' (or whatever your exact words were) can hardly be described as 'helpful'.

It's predominantly in comedy, with occasional excursions into drama and soaps.
I see no talent in Charley's work. But I may be wrong.
I suggested she think about character and dialogue. I am not going to write for her.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 2, 2007, 12:12 AM

I'm not a great fan of either of those shows, which seem of their time. In fairness, Terry and June was quite tightly plotted, to a formula that seemed successful.

Charley's scripts - which I was not singling out - may seem original to you, but to me they do lack wit and charm.

I would be quite astonished if they were picked up. I may be wrong - it's a strange business - but they are incredibly amateurish.

Earlier tonight, post curry, I read some of JohnnyD's script. It has some thought about characterisation, some good lines and - while not yet perfect - seems to have been written by someone with something to say.

I am terribly sorry if my comments seem harsh, but it is important to be realistic. I had two years of rejection at the start of my career - but I learned from it.

Well that's your opinion I suppose. But really you haven't proven anything about yourself.

The whole point is most of us ARE amateurs - not pros with superiority complexes.

Your actually trying to bully someone over the internet. It's unbelievable. Never mind how you write it, it's harassment.

Just move on.