Morecambe & Wise

In my opinion the greatest double act of all time, Morecambe & Wise finally get some shows on a proper DVD release next Monday.

So on this, the 23rd anniversary of Eric Morecambe's death, I thought it might be an apt time to remember the loveable duo, and similarly their writers, including the brilliant Eddie Braben.

Random TRUFAX!: I get my hair cut by the same lady as Ernie's widow, Doreen.

I’ve seen a fair bit of M&W over the years and have to say they did absolutely nothing for me. Having asked around it’s seem I’m not alone, it’s seems there are people like yourself that think they are the best thing since sliced bread and other who just don’t get them but are too afraid to say anything for fear of upsetting a whole nation.

As with anything else, it's all each to their own really. We can't all like the same stuff!

I just wish that there really was a modern equivalent to them.

I love them. But weirdly, I think I love the Two Ronnies more.

I find the Boosh to have a little flavour of Morecambe & Wise sometimes. Not their sitcom maybe, but their little talky bits.

And everyone always compares Vic and Bob to them, but I reckon that's all down to Vic's glasses.

Quote: Aaron @ May 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

I just wish that there really was a modern equivalent to them.

I know you'll disagree Aaron (what with your strong dislike of them), but I think Ant and Dec could be called 'the modern equivalent' (I get the feeling you were hoping someone would say that so you could counter?).

Obviously Morecambe and Wise can never be matched, however I think the same joy for the job, genuine friendship and ability to know what the other-half is thinking is evident in both acts. Plus both pairs share the golden ratings touch.

Oh dear.

You're right though. The masses love them.
The only thing they're missing is the actual comedy.

I was going to bring up Ant and Dec myself, as for not being funny I think they can but I haven’t watch them since there very first show which was on Channel 4 just after they left Biker Grove (can’t remember what it was called). Since then they’ve only done Saturday night reality crappy TV which I can’t stand. But I know what Mark getting at.

Ant & Dec are naturally chirpie Geordie chappies. Inoffensive and appealing to grannies but not comedians as such.

I grew up watching M & W on TV regularly and they were very good for the time, and some of the pleasure is probably nostalgic and doesn't mean much to today's youth. However I loved the Marx Brothers who were from my dad's generation so it is really just a matter of taste.

Quote: Mark @ May 28, 2007, 6:35 PM

I know you'll disagree Aaron (what with your strong dislike of them), but I think Ant and Dec could be called 'the modern equivalent' (I get the feeling you were hoping someone would say that so you could counter?).

Obviously Morecambe and Wise can never be matched, however I think the same joy for the job, genuine friendship and ability to know what the other-half is thinking is evident in both acts. Plus both pairs share the golden ratings touch.

I knew someone would. ;)

And to an extent, yes, I suppose they are. But really only so far as they're a popular duo. And they work in TV. After that, the similarities end for me. A&D don't do anything remotely 'clever', or indeed funny. Entertaining perhaps, but they don't do funny. The sad thing is, yeah, they're probably the closest to a modern M&W. But they're far, far below par.

I loved Morecambe and Wise but do you not think Vic Reeves is trying to model himself on Eric Morecambe

I, like many others I’m sure, have watched old M&W shows/clips with a vague feeling of disappointment. They were without doubt one of the best things on TV at the time… and stayed, deservedly so, on top of the heap for a long while. Ernie was the epitome of the straight guy… while Eric had the funniest of funny bones.

Sadly, like so much comedy, it dates. And I’m not sure if this is because of my exposure to other (arguably, more ‘hip’) comedy over the years or whether it’s simply an age thing. My Nan, for example, will laugh as hard at M&W as she ever did.

Why is that? Do the comedy receptors in the brain freeze at a certain point?

Not so much freeze, but I wouldn't mind betting that your Nan probably hasn't been exposed to as much of more 'modern' TV as you and I may have been, and certainly not in quite the same way.

Quote: Rosco @ May 30, 2007, 11:35 AM

I loved Morecambe and Wise but do you not think Vic Reeves is trying to model himself on Eric Morecambe

Only with the way he looks, sometimes. And not so much anymore.

Not a huge fan of M&W but I do apreciate them. I too prefer the two Ronnies.

I dont think we will ever have such clean clever comedy duo's again now.

Ant & Dec are well liked by many. I am not a fan, but I know many are.

Vic & Bob, now of them I am a fan.

Quote: charley rance @ May 30, 2007, 5:35 PM

Not a huge fan of M&W but I do apreciate them. I too prefer the two Ronnies.

I dont think we will ever have such clean clever comedy duo's again now.

Ant & Dec are well liked by many. I am not a fan, but I know many are.

Vic & Bob, now of them I am a fan.

Echo.