Morecambe & Wise Page 3

RIP the great Eric Morecambe. 24 years today.

What do you think of it so far? Rubbish!

Brilliant. I still remember when I was little and quite ill one Christmas day, it was Morecambe and Wise on TV which made it all feel ok. RIP indeed.

I remember the morning the news came out that he'd died. It was early on a Saturday and I was fiddling on my ZX Spectrum, probably writing a rubbish game in BASIC, and listening to the radio.

It was like a little light had gone out. I remember thinking it was a terrible shame he was with that bloke off Crossroads (Stan Sennett?) when he died, rather than Ernie.

Quote: Rosco @ May 30 2007, 12:35 PM BST

I loved Morecambe and Wise but do you not think Vic Reeves is trying to model himself on Eric Morecambe

He has got it down to a tee. Apart from the being funny bit that it is.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ December 3 2007, 5:23 AM GMT

Eric Morecambe was once asked what he and Ernie would have done if they'd not been funny and he said, 'become Mike and Bernie Winters' which I thought was hilarious. You'd have to know M&B Winters stuff to appreciate that!

There's a story about Mike and Bernie Winters playing the Glasgow Empire. First Bernie comes on for a while, doing his shtick, stupid noises and all that, to complete silence.

Then Mike bounds on, and a heckler shouts, "Oh f**k, there's two of the bastards."

Quote: Timbo @ May 29 2008, 12:25 PM BST

He has got it down to a tee. Apart from the being funny bit that it is.

:D

The Eric Morcambe quote about Bernie Winters reminds me of the Peter Cook quote about his biggest regret in life being rescuing David Frost from drowning.

Just picked up on this thread and have read from the beginning and I nearly pissed my pants. However that had nothing to do with what I read. Ant and Dec = Morecambe and Wise. F**k me sidewards. There's two of them I'll give you that. But some of those sketches. The Stripper, Singing in the Rain. The plays 'Wot I wrote'. Genius. Ant and Dec. Amateurs in comparison. They're just TV presenters and haven't the talent to do anything else. Witness that piddling little film they 'starred' in. Rant over, going for a lie down.

Do find them a bit hit and miss, but when good, absolutely brilliant. I think 'The Breakfast Sketch' is the best sketch of all time. Also loved the part in the 'Supermarket Sketch' when Eric went over to a busty supermarket assistant and said: 'I've heard everything's coming down this weekend, what time do you finish' Also loved the Monty on the Bounty sketch with Arthur Lowe when there is an unexpected guest appearances from the rest of the Dads Army team. Seeing Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Clive Dunn, John Laurie, James Beck, Arnold Ridley and Ian Lavender in a sketch is brilliant, but the lines are great in the sketch: WILSON: Do you think that's Wise Sir, MAINWARING: No, it's Morecambe. Some of the material is not very good though.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 29 2008, 7:04 PM BST

Do find them a bit hit and miss, but when good, absolutely brilliant. I think 'The Breakfast Sketch' is the best sketch of all time. Also loved the part in the 'Supermarket Sketch' when Eric went over to a busty supermarket assistant and said: 'I've heard everything's coming down this weekend, what time do you finish'

I'm always really shocked when they're rude!
Like it though.

I received a new book in the post this morning, what I ordered yesterday morning at about 1am. I already had this one. Gawgeous, and of course very, very funny. :)

Has me in fits of giggles just reading.

Can anyone get me an interview with the great Eddie Braben?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Eddie Braben a Dustbin Man before he wrote for Morcombe and Wise.

Morecambe*

Not sure though. Don't recall having heard that one before myself, and no mention of it on Wikipedia.

In Mark Lewisohn's guide to TV Comedy, it says former Dustman Eddie Braben. Whether that means Dustbinman I don't know.

Article

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 29 2008, 9:57 PM BST

In Mark Lewisohn's guide to TV Comedy, it says former Dustman Eddie Braben. Whether that means Dustbinman I don't know.

That's rubbish!