Chickens - Pilot Page 3

:( I do know a lot of people who go to Ypres every year to pay respects to those who sacrificed their lives in the war, and who attend 'Remembrance day' parades and services.

I think they might be offended, I have not seen prog' or details so will reserve comment.

So what is it about three men not participating in an unjust and stupid war that you find so offensive?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 1:03 PM BST

People like relatives who are STILL campaigning for the recognition of many many cases of shell shock, now a medical condition, which was conveniently mistaken for 'cowardice' and gross dereliction of duty, so the generals could have them shot in cold blood in order to remotivate their despairing, traumatised troops.

That doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the set up for this show though.

Quote: dellas @ September 2 2011, 1:04 PM BST

I have not seen prog' or details so will reserve comment.

That's really not the BCG way.

What do you think it is! Most others had to go and die, so you'd need a very good reason not to go and help them out. Flat feet, pacifism and pure cowardice are not good reasons to opt out, are they?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 1:10 PM BST

What do you think it is! Most others had to go and die, so you'd need a very good reason not to go and help them out. Flat feet, pacifism and pure cowardice are not good reasons to opt out, are they?

Quite right, down with this show that I have in no way seen! It better not get picked up, I can tell you.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 10:49 AM BST

Well, for one it is of questionable taste to say the least. Yes nearly 100 years has passed, but that war still touches a raw nerve. It isn't a very respectful slant on it, hmm?

That's what they said about Dad's Army, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and 'Allo 'Allo! before any episodes had actually aired.

You are a very strange, bitter little man.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 1:10 PM BST

Flat feet, pacifism and pure cowardice are not good reasons to opt out, are they?

So let me get this straight.

You are offended because, although in your own words the war was unjust and stupid, people should have gone to war anyway and got "butchered in their prime to simply satisfy the stuffed shirts of the day".

You think that, in a time of conscription like that, being judged - by the army - to be medically unfit to join the army is a bad reason to not join the army.

You also think that pacifism is a bad reason to avoid fighting in a war.

Nope. Still not making any sense to me.

I mean I've read synopsis seems a good 'cynical' poke at the prejudice exacted against 'conscientious objectors'.

There will be people who will see it as objectional because they believe its making light of those who died in the war, that's all I'm saying .

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 1:29 PM BST

I'm sure you know very well that's not what I'm saying at all.

It wasn't? Because it did look rather a lot like you said that being declared medically unfit or being a pacifist weren't good reasons not to go to war?

You also seemd to be saying that more people should have gone to fight in an unjust stupid war just because everyone else was, rather than the more obvious thought that perhaps fewer people should have fought if it was that unjust and stupid...

Quote: Afinkawan @ September 2 2011, 1:22 PM BST

So let me get this straight.

You are offended because, although in your own words the war was unjust and stupid, people should have gone to war anyway and got "butchered in their prime to simply satisfy the stuffed shirts of the day".

That's the quote I was referring to, not the whole lot.

You think that, in a time of conscription like that, being judged - by the army - to be medically unfit to join the army is a bad reason to not join the army.

But flat feet was not deemed medically unfit!

The casual use of such an affliction by the show's writers seems derogatory! To me!

Forget it Afinkawan, it's Kippertown.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 2 2011, 1:47 PM BST

The casual use of such an affliction by the shows writers seems derogetory! To me!

Don't watch it then, ignore the whole thing - sorted! :)

You also think that pacifism is a bad reason to avoid fighting in a war.

I did not say that! I said it's a bad reason for not GOING to war, a very different thing. Did you know that the vast majority of official con obs went to that war? I think there was at least one Victoria Cross given to one.

I don't think you need to watch it at all, Alfred. You've got plenty of opinions/hot air on it without even bothering. :)

Madam, it is my duty to watch it. And my duty to slate it. IF it does treat the subject in the way I've merely suggested it might. If it doesn't, and it adds some depth to the subject. I'll say that too.