Chickens - Pilot

This new sitcom which is going to star 'Inbetweeners' stars Simon Bird and Joe Thomas looks interesting: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000391/channel_4_new_comedy_chickens/

Sounds brilliant!
I like all three actors.

It is only a pilot for now, mind. Some of the press articles haven't made that at all clear.

I saw Jonny Sweet's show at Edinburgh this year and it was fantastic.

I think it was clever to give it a historical setting, that way it won't be too similar to The Inbetweeners.

Quote: samcheese @ July 14 2011, 8:20 PM BST

I think it was clever to give it a historical setting, that way it won't be too similar to The Inbetweeners.

They are meant to be professional writers, I'm sure that they can find hundreds of ways to make it different from The Inbetweeners.

Making it any good is a whole different ball game.

They didn't write The Inbetweeners, so there's no real reason to expect it to be too similar.

Hmm, sounds like a brave choice for a sitcom project, so maybe it'll just be a pilot. Some won't like its theme and others, like me will say it's not even slightly credible. I highly doubt if any three of the characters would have existed. Let's look: Conshies were jailed; flat feet would not have stopped you being conscripted, only no feet would've, and the last one would have been shot. That's not a good start, is it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 17 2011, 1:14 PM BST

Hmm, sounds like a brave choice for a sitcom project, so maybe it'll just be a pilot. Some won't like its theme and others, like me will say it's not even slightly credible. I highly doubt if any three of the characters would have existed. Let's look: Conshies were jailed; flat feet would not have stopped you being conscripted, only no feet would've, and the last one would have been shot. That's not a good start, is it.

You're right, they probably didn't do any research into it or anything.

Anyway, all that will matter is if it's funny or not.

Like the sound of this and I'm always willing to see more Jonny Sweet on the screen. Not on til the Autumn though, so a few months yet.

Anyone going to watch this odd looking thing tonight? I shall probably glance at it for research purposes. The recent phenomenon of new young sitcom stars being handed their own writing commission is one that pleases me immensely Angry Pirate . So if it isn't instantly brilliant I shall be slating it. Can't wait. :)

I'll give this a watch. It sounds pretty interesting.

I didn't realise that Simon Bird and Joe Thomas had worked together at Footlights.

The main thing is it's part of a 'comedy showcase', which always struck me as a great way of finding new sitcoms. There's a great history of them (despite Danny Cohen's mi-opic take on TV history) and they give writers and artists the opportunity to experiment in a relativelty risk-free environment.

I do share worries on the dodgy premise of this one though - but who knows?

Quote: Lazzard @ September 2 2011, 10:17 AM BST

I do share worries on the dodgy premis of this one though - but who knows?

Why dodgy? It sounds like a good set-up to me.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 17 2011, 1:00 PM BST

They didn't write The Inbetweeners, so there's no real reason to expect it to be too similar.

And very likely nowhere near as good. Just because a couple of actors starred in one of the best British sitcoms of recent years, doesn't neccessarily translate to them being able to write a show as good. We can hope, though.