Life's Too Short Page 6

There was a lot of setting up of the world really in that one.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 10 2011, 10:11 PM GMT

There was a lot of setting up of the world really in that one.

Which is fair enough, surely? :)

Quote: AJGO @ November 10 2011, 10:21 PM GMT

Which is fair enough, surely? :)

Well yeah.

He had a nice big fluffy doggy.

Lots of money spent so it looked a lot better than it actually was. Entirely derivative of all the previous work, even including Warwick Davis doing a David Brent impression.

After roundly f**king up his chance at film world by filming woefully underdeveloped screenplays, do we really have to spend such a shitload of money for such phoned in work?

Go back to abusing the monkey boys.

Quote: Herbie @ November 10 2011, 10:45 PM GMT

even including Warwick Davis doing a David Brent impression.

For me, the whole show, was Warwick Davis doing a Brent impression.

Rolling eyes

High on sly, low on laughs. A couple of funny visual gags, but they shouldn't be short of these in this setup. Hasn't moved on much from the indulgent Extras idea of shipping in the big stars to be shown up for (small sniggery) laughs. The small guy became very secondary all too quickly. Not impressed, given G&M's record, they look too limited to one style now, getting a tad tiresome, imo.

Quote: Scartledge @ November 10 2011, 10:51 PM GMT

For me, the whole show, was Warwick Davis doing a Brent impression.

Rolling eyes

Agree

Disappointed but shall hang with it

Expected better... much better :(

Quote: Herbie @ November 10 2011, 10:45 PM GMT

Lots of money spent so it looked a lot better than it actually was. Entirely derivative of all the previous work, even including Warwick Davis doing a David Brent impression.

And the accountant seem to be doing an Extras Stephen Merchant as well. Still I laughed quite a few times and like the cut of that woman from This is England who plays the dopey secretary.

If you think Warwick Davies sounded like David Brent, you should of heard some corporate hospital manager on Radio 4's Today this morning: "Martin Luther King had a dream, he didn't have a business plan."

I can't believe that ten years on G&M are still going back to the faux documentary schtick, and making Davies do a second rate Brent impression was just sad. It wasn't really a surprise that the best scene was them interacting with and subverting people's perception of a celebrity, in which case why didn't they just do a third season of Extras with Davies taking up the Barry role?

Having just shat on it for a paragraph though, I'll acknowledge that comedy pilots are notoriously tricky. The difference with this one was that it had most of the ground work laid out from the first scene and should have just focussed on the laughs after that. I'ma stick with it, maybe it was just a poor choice of first episode. The dopey secretary has a WEIRD face.

Yeah, what they said. Warwick is basically playing a short Ricky Gervais. I'm not sure I like the average sized one.

The Liam Neeson sketch was pretty damn funny though.

:( :( :( Oh I was so, so disapointed. :( :(

The only bit I liked was the scene with Liam Neeson & even then it put me in mind of the "Someone is being raped" scene from The Office.

I have a phobia of little people & I gave 30 mins of my time, cacking myself, for that!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Some moments of brilliance, the rest not very funny. However, I'm from the school of thought that I'd rather have a few good laughs rather than lots of mini-chuckles.

I find it amusing however when people slate Ricky and Stephen's work. They are world renowned comedy writers, having won many many awards. If you don't like their work, fair enough, but at least appreciate that comedy is subjective. I'm sure they'd not think much of your own work.

It wasn't too original, but was pretty funny which is enough for me. Warwick Davis was good and it was nice to see him on TV.

I would have preferred it if they'd left out G&M's appearances, and there was definitely no need for the Liam Neeson bit.

Just as there won't be for the Johnny Depp bit next week and whover the four other stars are in the rest. G&M's sitcoms have become 'Guess the megastar who'll be using this as an opportunity to send themselves up in a predictably written scenario.'