Life's Too Short Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ March 21 2011, 1:02 PM GMT

I suspect you'll be proved right. People'll still love it though.

Will they? Cemetery Junction has already been forgotten.

True - but then there's a difference in both the marketing and the mass accessibility of television and of film.

Might be rubbish, might be good.
How about watching an episode, or at least five minutes of it, before slagging it off?

I have no doubt that there may be people who will say it's great just because they feel they have to like everything Ricky does, but there will be waaaaay more people hating it and shouting about how awful it is whether it's good or not. Just because they have decided to hate it from the off. (As evidenced here.)

Quote: Aaron @ March 21 2011, 1:08 PM GMT

True - but then there's a difference in both the marketing and the mass accessibility of television and of film.

I don't know. He's due for a fall. And if he and Merchant aren't in it to carry it, and it's just generic Curb-influenced cringe-comedy about a dwarf, then it might not do so well. Funny for one episode, but tiresome when stretched over six.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2011, 1:09 PM GMT

How about watching an episode, or at least five minutes of it, before slagging it off?

:O

That might be the most outrageous thing you've ever said on these boards, zooo!

Another break for new talent given out to the established on the basis of them did good a while back, it's been a bit clunky and variable since (any RG films) but it's bound to come good.
I've a nasty feeling that this will probably be as witty and incisive as Come Fly but we can hope. Or perhaps they can get togther with that other promising newcomer Fellowes and write a truly spiffing drama about a person of restricted stature trying to escape the Titanic to get back to Downton Abbey.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2011, 1:09 PM GMT

Now that would be just silly.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 21 2011, 1:41 PM GMT

Another break for new talent given out to the established on the basis of them did good a while back,

Gervais And Merchant are stars with hit shows to their names; why on earth wouldn't they get the chance to do more?

It doesn't always mean that its going to be any good. As proved by Graham and Pharoah who came up with Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. On the strength of which they also gave us Bonekickers.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 21 2011, 1:56 PM GMT

It doesn't always mean that its going to be any good. As proved by Graham and Pharoah who came up with Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. On the strength of which they also gave us Bonekickers.

Yeah, of course, but if I was a channel about to splash out some money, I'd probably give it the guys who wrote The Office than to, well, me. Just the way it goes, experience and track record counts in any industry.

I reckon this show has such potential for massive offence it could turn out to be quietly brilliant.

Quote: sootyj @ March 21 2011, 1:59 PM GMT

I reckon this show has such potential for massive offence it could turn out to be quietly brilliant.

Meh. Being offensive has become a well-worn comedy cliche in recent years.

New trailer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p00hpzxb/lifes_too_short_lifes_too_short_trailer/

Give me Red Dwarf and Blackadder anyday. Never been a fan of Dicky Jarvis. Or cringe comedy. At least Warwick Davis is still going job-wise, I imagine they will be incorporate a lot of variety and make lots of jokes at short people as bad as the title. May watch an episode, may not depends how I feel.

Hoorah for Dicky Jarvis! May his sitcoms forever never stain my mind or memories! Unimpressed

As many may have guessed by now, I'm horrendously optimistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iPmE2p52I&feature=player_embedded#at=107

The last 10-15 seconds made me laugh. :D

Wow. Those trailers are hilarious.

The trailers are funny, no doubt about it. Gervais' laugh is terribly infectious too which helps. I find Merchant comes across as sneaky, nasty piece of work though. I hope he isn't.

Mind you those Barclays voice overs, which I assume Merchant wrote himself to a brief, are pretty lame. No doubt they are supposed to be post-modern or something, but they leave the subliminal impression that Barclays are idiots

I'm not sure that was the intention