The Royle Family Christmas Special 2010 Page 8

I am so disappointed with the makers of Royle Family. What have they done to the best British comedy of all time?
All the episodes up to The Queen Of Sheba were superb works of art that made people laugh out loud. Now they are churning out Christmas specials for the sake of making a Christmas special.
Denise and Dave now have a mental age of about 10. The script is so crass and weak. Ridiculous scenes like the turkey in the bath. Cringe making stuff that even the simple Dave would never do.
Taking the show away from the front room of the house was another crazy mistake. Don't try and do something different with an already superb format.
It's all gone so bad it actually annoys me that my favourite British comedy has been ruined.
Caroline Aherne...what have you let happen to your beautiful creation? Surely it's not all just for the money now.

Quote: gymboy @ December 10 2011, 1:31 AM GMT

I am so disappointed with the makers of Royle Family. What have they done to the best British comedy of all time?
All the episodes up to The Queen Of Sheba were superb works of art that made people laugh out loud. Now they are churning out Christmas specials for the sake of making a Christmas special.
Denise and Dave now have a mental age of about 10. The script is so crass and weak. Ridiculous scenes like the turkey in the bath. Cringe making stuff that even the simple Dave would never do.
Taking the show away from the front room of the house was another crazy mistake. Don't try and do something different with an already superb format.
It's all gone so bad it actually annoys me that my favourite British comedy has been ruined.
Caroline Aherne...what have you let happen to your beautiful creation? Surely it's not all just for the money now.

Surely the last-minute cancellation of this year's special proves exactly that it is not just "all about the money", and that they do aim for a certain quality standard - even if that's not a standard you personally agree with?

In any case, they took them out of the front room to the hospital in The Queen Of Sheba, and upstairs to the bathroom and bedrooms on a number of occasions in early episodes, so changing the setting isn't necessarily a bad thing, surely?

Denise and Dave now have a mental age of about 10

Indeed. I have said this for a while now. The change in Dave & Denise, particularly Dave, has been pretty dramatic. In earlier episodes, Dave was never the "brain box" in the operation, but showed some "savvy" ... but over the last 2-3 Christmas Specials, he has looked more than dim.

Examples: sat nav script/scenes, Christmas dinner "I'm just going on the toilet" ... reaction to Ant's proposal ... and various other dim comments here and there. Let's face it, in earlier series, Dave used to wink and say "nice one Jim/James!" ... and in his own way, would share words of wisdom .. things like the "top pocket" approach when handling removals. So, the way Dave acts now, simply appears to be too much of a change to take seriously in my opinion.

The of course ... JOE! ... used to say pretty much nothing!!! (think of the kitchen scene, when Denise is trying on the wedding dress) .... then think of recent Christmas episodes, where they can't get him to shut up, think "computer in a bag" and various stories of Mary!!

Don't get me wrong, I still love what they do globally, but it seems like a departure from how some characters were earlier identified.

All the best,
Cal :)

Whereas I've watched the original series for the first time during the past year, and see little-to-no difference in the characters whatsoever.

.. believe me Aaron, as a "Die Hard" fan, there are clearly differences in Dave, Denise and Joe's characters. Jim, Barbera, Ant, Cheryl etc are pretty much the same (give or take the development in their character years!)

All the best,

Quote: SivoxII @ December 22 2011, 10:07 PM GMT

.. believe me Aaron

I don't. ;)

.. then we will agree to differ.

I saw 'Barb' on a TV interview show the other day but I only caught the very last part of where she was talking about the new Royle Family.
I think she said the show was in the can but there had been no time for any editing. Wish I'd seen the whole interview.

As for the characters changing;

Joe is more chatty (and sing'y) when he has had some booze. I therefore conclude with it being Christmas, he had been on the sauce.

Dave's fluctuating dumbness is not too much out of character. I mean even in the series he didn't catch on they were ragging him about his stolen van - even when they just about said it. (funny though)

And to me Denise has stayed much the same. :)

Whether the characters have changed or not, there are some cracking lines in that episode.

Quote: Aaron @ December 22 2011, 10:03 PM GMT

Whereas I've watched the original series for the first time during the past year, and see little-to-no difference in the characters whatsoever.

I'd say that too. It's more frequent in the recent specials, but they were always that silly/careless.

Enjoyed the 2010 special again this week. I always thought Joe was more vocal this time because it was always Mary the motormouth talking before, so he was always quiet.

Yes, quite. I mean, who'd have thought someone in mourning, spending their first Christmas alone after n-decades of marriage, might act a bit differently! How dare they! etc.

.. yes, I agree that "Dave" has always had a silliness/vacancy about him, particularly in the decorating episode scene about the van, but that's the difference I am outlining, back then, he showed a mix of these characteristics, along side hints of wise reactions. However, the last 2-3 Christmas specials have clearly given Dave a retarded character, which doesn't compare with say Series 1,2 in my opinion (that's taking into account, the possibility of 'seasonal influence' playing it's part to some degree).

Denise's general character hasn't change that much, but her "dimness" has. Again, Joe's general character is pretty much the same, just the obvious change in how sociable/chatterbox-like he has become.

All the best,

Quote: Aaron @ 30th December 2010, 3:22 PM GMT

Sorry, but anyone who thinks Jim has become more bullying needs to go back and watch Series 2, episode 4. He is a truly vile creation at times, and has been since the beginning.

As for Joe, he never needed to speak before because Mary never shut up (or so is implied). Now he's on his own, his whole dynamic and way of life has changed. It would have been frankly bizarre if he hadn't shown any difference.

Aaron watch the funeral episode where Elsie dies and he goes over the top. ;)
I think Jim loves Dave more than Anthony. You could tell Jim has always hated Dave's dad from the 1st series by saying he should pay for the wedding.