The Royle Family Christmas Special 2010

Has this been confirmed? I ask because before it returned in 2008 there were reports that Aherne and Cash were writing 3 more specials to be aired in 2008, 2009 and 2010 at Christmas. But, I havent heard anything about a special this year apart from some hearsay.

I'm not aware of one, and there's no mention of another in the BCG's records.

Shame I love this show and find it just as funny now as the first episode ..

Come on Beeb / Aherne, get your fingers out. We need a Royle Xmas Spesh EVERY year. We demand it.

I thought the last two specials were dire.
They have ruined Dave and Denises characters, they made them too silly. (e.g. the turkey in the bath stuff...) Also didn't like seeing them outside of Jim and Barbara's house, or seeing Dave's parents...
I really liked series 1-3 though! Thought it was a great, realistic comedy.
But I wouldn't watch any more specials judging on the quality of the last two...

They have definitely made it less realistic and had more silly comedy, the turkey in the bath being an example but I still found them hilarious.

I suppose some people won't find them as funny if they lose the realism but personally if something is funny I will enjoy it regardles of its stupid or not.

Quote: roystonpoisoner @ September 2 2010, 11:40 PM BST

I thought the last two specials were dire.
They have ruined Dave and Denises characters, they made them too silly. (e.g. the turkey in the bath stuff...) Also didn't like seeing them outside of Jim and Barbara's house, or seeing Dave's parents...
I really liked series 1-3 though! Thought it was a great, realistic comedy.
But I wouldn't watch any more specials judging on the quality of the last two...

Any is better than none.

And anyway I didn't think the Chrissy specials were that bad - I thought at the time there was a deviation in tone from the earlier series but on reflection the specials still had some huge laughs.

I'd definitely like to see more.

Really enjoyed the last Christmas special. But did anyone else think them all singing along to The One Show jingle was just an advert for The One Show? (Not that it matters.)

No.

No as well.

Mixed feelings myself on the last couple of offerings (Christmas Specials) ... could have passed on the "Carrot Crush" episode and wasn't that keen on last Chrimbo's run...

BUT!! ... the more I watch them, the better they get (even if being outside the Royle Household, was a little foreign).

I do agree though, Dave's "CAMP DIMNESS" seemed hard to take seriously, as he clearly had more marbles in S1-S3. Joe's sudden dialogue injection also seemed very unrealistic, based on previous viewing too! ... mind you, Denise is as dim and irritating as always, so fool marks for that effort.

On reflection, ya gorra still love the Royles!!!!!!!!

All the best,
Cal :)

P.S. Anyone seen my Golden Egg Cup?

Sue Johnston said on This Morning earlier in the year there was going to be another one this year.

They shouldn't really milk this show. It's become very sentimental.

The Chrissy specials did seem to get more strained and diluted each year but for all that I thought there were some brilliant moments in all of them.

I mean Nana dying was fantastic pathos, especially as Jim had fallen out with her for stealing his remote batteries.

Jim: (at nana's wake) I'd give anything to have just one more row with her.

I remember hearing, years ago before any Christmas specials, that they had written a Christmas special where the whole family go on holiday and never leave the caravan.

So it seems to me it was shelved then brought back out and revamped to make a few bob extra.

I loved it back in the old days (Series 1-3). Just the family in the house, very realistic stuff, I felt knew the characters in real life. Then that 'Queen of Sheba' special was a bit too dramaish for me, I don't think I laughed once and wasn't happy that it wasn't shown in real time and then they'd brought the characters out of their house. The next special 'The New Sofa' was very poor in my opinion. They totally made the characters unrealistic, most notably Dave and Denise. I managed about ten minutes of last year's special and that was awful. I didn't even finish watching it. So, definitely no more I hope.