The Royle Family Christmas Special 2010 Page 7

Quote: SivoxII @ December 27 2010, 7:29 AM GMT

OH!!!

Forgot to mention, my "sharp eyes" wife caught a continuity error on the very 1st viewing!

As Joe comes in, Barbara takes Mary's ashes from him and places it on the left of the mantle .... 29 mins in, Barbara mentions that she can't stop looking at "those two" .... Mary's Urn is now on the "right"

OOPS!!

Continuation error which is the responsibility of the director/ a continuation 'manager' but also of the actor.

Thoroughly-enjoyed this. So nice to see the family back where they belong - in the lounge. Some very funny laugh-out-louds - loved Jim being carried about with his bad toes, protesting all the way.

JIM:
Don't put me there with me back to the telly!

DENISE:
Don't put him there, I don't want to sit next to him!

JIM:
Well why don't you put me in the bloody garden and have done with it?!

Laughing out loud

A nice return to form. Dave didn't seem quite so bizarrely-retarded in this one compared to other specials, which was a welcome relief. All seemed to be just about in place - although again, Jim seemed a bit more aggressive and bullying than he was in the series. He's been like that in all the specials though, especially The Golden Egg Cup I thought.

Anyway as I say it made me laugh lots and felt very comforting to have the Royles round for Christmas. I don't agree with the comments that Joe had too much to say. The story (and indeed title) of this special was focussed around him so I see no problem.

Anyroad. New series please, Mr Commissioner!

I don't have a problem at all with Joe having too much to say. If this had been the only episode we have ever seen with Joe present, he would have been a welcomed addition to the cast, as this particular special was, having Ant back in the household with his new GF.

The problem I have, is the huge change in antics from Dave & Joe. Previous episodes saw Joe in many sketches, with only 1 or two words to say, as he floated in and out of the Royle's palace, yet now, he can happily sit down and have a serious conversation with plenty to say (drunk or sober).

I still feel in my opinion, that they have "sillied" Dave's character, especially with announcements about going to the toilet and his refereeing about the Dyson (very similar to the Golden Egg Cup script). Oh yeah, not forgetting Ant asking GF to marry him, where we witnessed more silliness from Dave. It really appears that things have changed in the specials, as mentioned above, Jim being more aggressive, Joe having much more to say and Dave (and Denise to some degree) .. becoming simpler than we ever remembered.

All the best,
Cal :)

I have watched it two and a half times now and there is plenty that was missed on the first viewings.
Like Joe getting Saskia's name more wrong each time he says it. I think he called her swastika the last time.

I know the script isn't perfect and the jokes are sledgehammered in here and there but I don't watch it with that kind of critical eye.
I am quite prepared to suspend belief and turn a deaf ear and blind eye to the obvious shortcomings and just enjoy and laugh at the show.

swastika .... lolololololol

I must watch again and look out for that!

Most of us pick up the "down points" as we love the Royles so much and always chase perfection.

British telly, best in the world baaaaaaaaaaar NONE.

All the best,

Ha, I did think I heard him say Swastika.

I set Sky+ to record this. Imagine the surprise when sitting down to watch it I had recorded the wrong Christmas special. What a knob-jockey I am, I am.

Quote: SivoxII @ December 28 2010, 6:10 PM GMT

I still feel in my opinion, that they have "sillied" Dave's character, especially with announcements about going to the toilet and his refereeing about the Dyson (very similar to the Golden Egg Cup script). Oh yeah, not forgetting Ant asking GF to marry him, where we witnessed more silliness from Dave. It really appears that things have changed in the specials, as mentioned above, Jim being more aggressive, Joe having much more to say and Dave (and Denise to some degree) .. becoming simpler than we ever remembered.

All the best,

I don't have a problem with it. If you keep it all the same then it gets templated and stale. I liked this episode. Not as good as it is in its prime but a better-than-usual Christmas special. It was a bit predictable at times though.

I enjoyed it much more than last year's, and the Swastika line made me lol

Does anyone know if the Christmas special 2010 is going to be repeated?

Quote: Yvonne Baylis @ December 30 2010, 10:56 AM GMT

Does anyone know if the Christmas special 2010 is going to be repeated?

It's available on iPlayer, Yvonne:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x14bf/The_Royle_Family_Joes_Crackers/

Edit, as I've just noticed your location:

Link removed - please Google for solutions

Sorry, but anyone who thinks Jim has become more bullying needs to go back and watch Series 2, episode 4. He is a truly vile creation at times, and has been since the beginning.

As for Joe, he never needed to speak before because Mary never shut up (or so is implied). Now he's on his own, his whole dynamic and way of life has changed. It would have been frankly bizarre if he hadn't shown any difference.

I agree with Aaron. Jim has always been quite nasty on occasion and this year's special was no different. But, he has shown on occasions like Denise in labour and Norma dying and after Joe sang that he has a heart.

Quote: Aaron @ December 25 2010, 10:40 PM GMT

I've only been watching Series 1 - 3 of The Royle Family in the past month or so, and I have to say, you special-haters have made a couple of valid points over the past 3 years, but are largely wearing the largest f**king rose-tinted spectacles I've ever come across. There's little discernable difference at all - Veronica complaining about tonight's relying on bodily functions and toilet humour too much? What?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Must say, I wasn't so made up with this episode (so far) - but there's a lot of very good point being made:

I'd totally agree that Dave's character is looking more and more ridiculous - and they are running out of excuses for who they've fobbed the kids off to as each episode arrives!

I think the absence of Darren could easily be explained, assuming he is still in leading a similar life, whereas Ant has been off working and starting families etc, natural they would possibly lose contact.

Two things really stand out: it's certainly an 'open' ending for this year - who knows if they will do another? - but I think the real issue is that these are isolated episodes some time apart and a while since any series, so there's less gelling, and to be honest, I'm not even sure if they decide year on year if they will do more specials.

Personally, I think there's more mileage in the Royles. It really needs a full (or even short) series, possibly leading up to a special. While all the epsiodes are pretty much standalone, a simple continuous thread in them would seem quite easy to implement.

It's down to the cast wanting to do it. As Aherne and Cash said in the docu recently, they'd do it for 'nowt' - so come on!!!!

Corrrrrrrrrrrrect Clayton!

All the best,