The Royle Family Christmas Special 2010 Page 6

Quote: PhilSug @ December 26 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

Too right. I lost count of the number of times that jokes were set up by Denise saying something like "what was it they called it?" or "what was it she said to them?".

It's like they had good lines and jokes but didn't know how (or simply couldn't be bothered) to write them into the script so just resorted to that easy set up device.

Like dream sequences, it's an admission a writer has run out of ideas.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 26 2010, 6:43 PM GMT

Like dream sequences, it's an admission a writer has run out of ideas.

Aherne must have been bloody stumped ever since 1998 then.

Quote: PhilSug @ December 26 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

Too right. I lost count of the number of times that jokes were set up by Denise saying something like "what was it they called it?" or "what was it she said to them?".

It's like they had good lines and jokes but didn't know how (or simply couldn't be bothered) to write them into the script so just resorted to that easy set up device.

I totally agree. I thought it started well, but soon got bogged down in too much of that. No one seems to be able to write comedy scenes anymore.
I actually got bored after half an hour and switched off.

Well, a mixed bag of reactions.

I liked it ... didn't love it though. Sad to see my earlier comments underlined, by seeing another outing by Dave, looking like 'care in the community' ... all you have to do, is pick out 3-4 episodes from Series 1/2 and you can see how little Dave spoke, but when he did, he appeared "verbally lazy" .. but not "retarded".

Joe had too much script, as again, we remember how little he spoke in the past (simply dig up the episode where the men are waiting in the kitchen with Joe, as Denise is trying her wedding dress on, prior to the Antiques Road Show coming on the box)

It's a real shame, as I liked this latest episode in small bursts, but it all comes down to a weak/unconvincing script ... although it's clear to see, the commitment from the cast is still VERY MUCH the key to The Royle Family's ongoing success.

So all in all, still definitely worth a watch! (You could have to put up with American TV!)

All the best,
Cal :)

OH!!!

Forgot to mention, my "sharp eyes" wife caught a continuity error on the very 1st viewing!

As Joe comes in, Barbara takes Mary's ashes from him and places it on the left of the mantle .... 29 mins in, Barbara mentions that she can't stop looking at "those two" .... Mary's Urn is now on the "right"

OOPS!!

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2010, 5:19 PM GMT

?
:)

I was the photographer for the show. :)

Here's one of my photos in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/26/christmas-tv-ratings-decade-high?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Great cast, great vibe, hopefully they'll be another in 2011.

Quote: SivoxII @ December 27 2010, 7:29 AM GMT

OH!!!

Forgot to mention, my "sharp eyes" wife caught a continuity error on the very 1st viewing!

As Joe comes in, Barbara takes Mary's ashes from him and places it on the left of the mantle .... 29 mins in, Barbara mentions that she can't stop looking at "those two" .... Mary's Urn is now on the "right"

OOPS!!

Well spotted.

And when Joe goes over to pick up the two urns for a photo, we see him after having picked them up, with the urns held in the 'wrong' arms. The urn that would naturally have met his left arm as he approached them is held in his right, and the other is similarly wrong.

Oh, and the urns weren't on the mantle: they were on top of the TV (I'd better say that before someone else does).

Quote: pbv3010 @ December 27 2010, 10:07 AM GMT

I was the photographer for the show. :)

Here's one of my photos in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/26/christmas-tv-ratings-decade-high?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Great cast, great vibe, hopefully they'll be another in 2011.

Ahhhh.
Excellent!

The Tutu/Sean Wright Phillips joke was brilliant, but it was overly long.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 27 2010, 11:24 AM GMT

Oh, and the urns weren't on the mantle: they were on top of the TV (I'd better say that before someone else does).

Correctamundo!!!! ... I was following the script, rather than what my eyes should have seen lololol (needed my wife on that one)

I think we caught another issue, but can't remember what it was now?

Yeah, as was mentioned above, we noticed Cheryl (spelling?) down a pint of Baileys and stuff her face with cake, yet what happened to the days where she wouldn't even accept a "polo" .... "I'm on a diet, but I will just take one to be sociable" (or words to that effect)

Personally, I would have preferred more awareness of Mary's passing prior to this special, as well as more background on Anthony's switch from Emma to the new "bun in the oven" girlfriend.

Ha Hum!

All the best,

Were they talking about her when he said to her that she wasn't as pretty as his ex?

Did you spot the name of the estate agents? Little inside-joke :)

Sold?

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2010, 9:42 PM GMT

Were they talking about her when he said to her that she wasn't as pretty as his ex?

Yup! ... Joe blabbered that Saskia (again spelling?) had a nicer personality than Emma, although Emma was better looking lololol ... lead balloon moment.

All the best,

Quote: SivoxII @ December 27 2010, 4:00 AM GMT

Well, a mixed bag of reactions.

I liked it ... didn't love it though. Sad to see my earlier comments underlined, by seeing another outing by Dave, looking like 'care in the community' ... all you have to do, is pick out 3-4 episodes from Series 1/2 and you can see how little Dave spoke, but when he did, he appeared "verbally lazy" .. but not "retarded".

Joe had too much script, as again, we remember how little he spoke in the past (simply dig up the episode where the men are waiting in the kitchen with Joe, as Denise is trying her wedding dress on, prior to the Antiques Road Show coming on the box)

It's a real shame, as I liked this latest episode in small bursts, but it all comes down to a weak/unconvincing script ... although it's clear to see, the commitment from the cast is still VERY MUCH the key to the Royle Family's ongoing success.

So all in all, still definitely worth a watch! (you could have to put up with American TV!!!!)

All the best,

Excellent review which nails all the salient points.