Life Of Riley - Series 3 Page 4

Magda Goebbels was a great patron of the arts and Mr Goebbels may well have invented the TV sitcom.

Just because they were part of the most evil genocidal regime of all time, doesn't imply a lack of sense of humour.

Charles Manson was aparently quite a wit as well.

"Mummy, we love Caroline Quentin! May we please watch another episode of Life Of Riley?"

"Alright children, one more..."

"Thank you, Mummy!"

"...but only if you promise that as soon as it's finished, you'll drink your special cough medicine and go straight to sleep?"

"We promise! We'll imagine Neil Dudgeon doing one of his funny facial reactions - that'll help the medicine go down!"

"Very well then."

"Yay!!!"

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 16 2011, 12:34 AM BST

For masochistic reasons of my own, just watched the first ten minutes of episode 1...

Will someone please explain the laughter? I mean, what's with all the relentless laughter at lines which you can actually hear clunk on the floor as soon as they've left the dry, cracked lips of the soul-less humanoids who've agreed to speak them in exchange for monies? Do they fill Life Of Riley audience seats exclusively with people who've - that very day - been giving the 'all clear' from cancer and who are so relieved that they'll laugh at pretty much anything?

It's filmed in Glasgow. I'm sure you don't need to be told about the life expectancy up there: the audience are delighted to just still be breathing.

:) Another boring programme from the BBC, is there no end to the disminallitey of selections?

Will someone please explain the laughter? I mean, what's with all the relentless laughter at lines which you can actually hear clunk on the floor as soon as they've left the dry, cracked lips of the soul-less humanoids who've agreed to speak them in exchange for monies? Do they fill Life Of Riley audience seats exclusively with people who've - that very day - been giving the 'all clear' from cancer and who are so relieved that they'll laugh at pretty much anything?

I did try. Managed about 5 mins. Gave up after Caroline said "But I'm like your big sister/friend/etc with the obvious, predictable children's reactions.

There was NO way that was live audience laughter.

Nobody would SHRIEK with mirth at dismal facial expressions or said children's reactions. Anybody normal would groan.

They clearly borrowed the laughter track from OFAH.

No idea how the front page has got the idea that this series is "doing rather well" in the ratings. They've been significantly down so far this series compared to series 2.

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2011, 1:58 AM BST

It's filmed in Glasgow. I'm sure you don't need to be told about the life expectancy up there: the audience are delighted to just still be breathing.

Actually breathing is usually the best reaction you get from a Glasgow audience...

I'm really liking it. No idea why.

I'm not about to go out and buy it on DVD. But I am watching it.

I'll buy it on DVD I think!

Bad sitcoms might be ten-a-penny, but this show...? This show is like a compilation of the very worst bits of every bland, formulaic, comedy-by-numbers piece of shit that's ever been unlovingly shoveled in front of a disinterested British television audience.

This is a sitcom which has no artistic or comedic merit whatsoever, it merely occupies half an hour of television broadcasting space. In fact, there would be more artistic and comedic value in broadcasting a totally blank screen for thirty minutes, that's how intrinsically worthless it is. This is a programme made with absolutely no sense of passion or joy for its genre - nor indeed for drama and entertainment of any form. For the cast, writers and production team it is just a paid job which must be completed in a perfunctory manner. The whole thing reeks of a show achieved with the same grim, stoical determination of a nurse on a geriatric ward performing yet another manual evacuation of some poor sod's lower bowel.

It's a show which offends significantly more than other bad sitcoms, not because it's not funny, but simply due to its complete and utter emptiness.

(So if they're looking for a quote for the DVD...)

Quote: cwickham @ April 27 2011, 8:46 AM BST

No idea how the front page has got the idea that this series is "doing rather well" in the ratings. They've been significantly down so far this series compared to series 2.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to whatever nonsense you might read on the BCG front page. The majority of the blurbs are purely Aaron's erotic fantasies manifesting themselves.

I saw some of this last night, what struck me was its similarity to "Dani's House" a children's show that I am sometimes subjected to by children.

Quote: cwickham @ April 27 2011, 8:46 AM BST

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 28 2011, 12:03 AM BST

I wouldn't pay too much heed to whatever nonsense you might read on the BCG front page. The majority of the blurbs are purely Aaron's erotic fantasies manifesting themselves.

Actually, I write the front page.

Whichever way you look at it, Life Of Riley is "doing rather well" in the ratings. 4m+ at 8:30pm is strong. I think a fourth series is pretty much guaranteed based on those figures.

It depresses me that things like Peep Show get sub-1m, whilst this gets over four times that... but we forget shows like this are not aimed at us (comedy fans). It's aimed at families and, looking at the ratings, would appear to be meeting their comedy requirements.

Quote: Mark @ April 28 2011, 10:42 AM BST

It's aimed at families and, looking at the ratings, would appear to be meeting their comedy requirements.

With respect, you're rather missing the focus of my ire, Mark. I'm not knocking the notion of harmless, non-edgy, polite sitcoms which are suitable for the whole family - far from it, in fact. My issue is with the appalling standard of the sitcom that families are offered. Viewing figures don't signify anything in this case. It would incredible if Life Of Riley, in that particular slot, didn't achieve those kind of ratings. But of all those millions of people watching, how many are going to take fond memories of this sitcom away with them? How many kids are going to grow-up with warm feelings and the shared generational experience of having watched this sitcom, in the way other generations feel about their family sitcoms - e.g. Only Fools And Horses, Citizen Smith, Porridge, Steptoe & Son, Open All Hours - yes, even On The Buses(!) - etc...?

That's my point: sitcoms are about far, far more than transient healthy viewing figures, they're about creating cultural bonds and a shared sense of humour. And this is why Life Of Riley represents a nadir for the family sitcom.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 28 2011, 8:50 PM BST

With respect, you're rather missing the focus of my ire, Mark.

Just for the record, I'm not disagreeing with you Tim. I was mainly posting just to explain why the "good ratings" term was used on the front page.

I think the BBC should start looking to the CBBC team for the next generation of family-friendly comedy. They seem to have a knack of commissioning good stuff and credit their viewers with more intelligence than other commissioners do (looking at you here the team that thought Big Top was good enough!).