Life Of Riley - Series 3 Page 5

Big Top could have been good enough. I don't think it was the writing that let it down per se. But that is an excellent point about CBBC not dumbing down to their audience. It is a cardinal rule in all writing for children but with Adults nowadays it seems perfectly acceptable even enshrined in certain programmes. Very odd and not healthy.

Quote: cwickham @ April 27 2011, 8:46 AM BST

No idea how the front page has got the idea that this series is "doing rather well" in the ratings. They've been significantly down so far this series compared to series 2.

I'm not sure what the ratings actually were during Series 2, but it had slightly better scheduling, being sandwiched between a still-just-watchable The One Show and Waterloo Road.

The thing is - for a sitcom shown at 8:30pm it's very poor - but put it on CBBC or CITV and it would seem very funny for a sitcom of its kind. Afterall, CBBC and CITV used to show....

The Wild House
MicroSoap (basically an older, superior version of 'Life of Riley' - anyone else remember it?)
Out of Tune
Big Kids
Kerching!
Dani's House
My Parents Are Aliens

'Life of Riley' really is of a level more similar to them than, say, 'My Family'.

Quote: johnny smith @ May 4 2011, 8:41 PM BST

'Life of Riley' really is of a level more similar to them than, say, 'My Family'.

Is this a case of damning with faint damns?

Quote: Mark @ April 28 2011, 10:42 AM BST

It's aimed at families and, looking at the ratings, would appear to be meeting their comedy requirements.

It is, but how? Is what I want to know. I cannot see how this and My Family entertains families, it's a bit beyond me. When I was young me and the family would sit and howl with laughter at Fawlty Towers and Porridge and Dad's Army and others like that. FUNNY family viewing sitcoms.

LOR in particular seems to be designed on the premise that family viewing shouldn't be hilarious with great characters, it's a sort of, 'this a family excercise in forced group laughter' thing, it is most odd the way this strange breed of show has evolved to completely hog the family sitcom slot. It's not genuine, nor I doubt is its ratings based popularity.

Sorry, repeated much of what Tim said ealier. Didn't have my glasse on to read. Totally agree with that post though, the legacy of a sitcom comes from far more than simple viewing figures.

Oh dear I was caught by my ten year old trying to watch it, he asked "what on earth are you watching THIS for....?" I had to agree and stop five minutes in. I am quite capable of watching the most awful tripe on telly and probably enjoying it, but this I can't. The laugh track (even if it is recorded in front of a live audience) is so loud and intrusive it's like you're being bullied into laughing at some extremely thin and old joke situations. Maybe the people who watch it are the soap watchers, who need to feel part of a bigger thing and appreciate the laugh track affirmation of their enjoyment?

It's one of the most unfunny sitcoms I've watched.. the BBC should be ashamed.

I love the additional material credits of seven other people.

Quote: Griff @ May 11 2011, 11:23 PM BST

I'd also say that Caroline Quentin has no business being at the centre of a sitcom. She's not likeable or funny enough to carry a comedy.

Many would argue she did just this with MBB though. Even Clunes gave her the credit for its success above him and the writer. I can see their point too, though I wasn't an avid watcher of it. I have to say she did have her share of funny moments when I saw it. So I'd say she has indeed done it.

I can't watch LOR long enough to study why she isn't doing it for this one, but from what I've seen, she seems a different Caroline Quentin now. She isn't as relaxed, she doesn't look as happy, in fact she looks like she resents being there, when I've seen it.

Does she feel embarrassed to be leading an uncool sitcom, perhaps, after the cool MBB? That would be my guess, that she's doing it for the money and the work, but doesn't rate it, and possibly even hates it like most others with a bit of taste, and resents that it's ruining her cred. But I imagine it's a pretty good earner for her.

One of the better show on telly now. It does not stand up well when compared with sitcoms such as Only Fools And Horses, but I feel it is good enough to watch. It seems very similar to the previous BBC sitcom 'My Family', but 'My Family' was much better.

Quote: OnTheBusesCrazy @ May 13 2011, 12:15 PM BST

One of the better shows on telly now.

And which other shows are deemed as "appropriate viewing" in the patients' TV lounge? ;)

Diabolic rubbish, poorly written and badly cast. Quentin proving why she was a supporting actrees in Men Behaving Badly - and she couldn't act in that either. Shoddy, predictable script - scrap it, BBC, and make space and money for something well written and acted.

Quote: billy thompson @ May 20 2011, 8:13 AM BST

Diabolic rubbish, poorly written and badly cast. Quentin proving why she was a supporting actrees in Men Behaving Badly - and she couldn't act in that either. Shoddy, predictable script - scrap it, BBC, and make space and money for something well written and acted.

You tell me you're the Doctor

Quote: sootyj @ May 20 2011, 8:18 AM BST

You tell me you're the Doctor

Pardon?

Quote: billy thompson @ May 20 2011, 8:13 AM BST

I was going to post something but luckily somebody did it for me.