Female comedians Page 9

If we're going to discuss this rationally, we have to distinguish between comedy actors and stand-up comedians.

In the world of comedy actors, Lucille Ball is surely one of the all-time greats, regardless of gender, but is she the greatest? No. For my money that title would go to a man - and the contenders are many.

In the world of stand up, there are some superb women. Victoria Wood and Sarah Silverman to name but two at opposite ends of the safety spectrum. But when it comes to the greatest stand-ups, no matter how you define 'greatest', I'd be naming a hell of a lot of men before before a woman sprang to mind.

Clearly, many women and the entire castrati section of the male community will be holding their handbags to their chins in horror at my words but I say them in all sincerity and with total confidence.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ October 14 2010, 5:59 PM BST

Is it wrong that I hope you get trampled by a herd of stampeding feminists? No, I don't think it is.

Not you, Zooo.

Either way they still won't be making me laugh.

No, but I would, you hideous sexist.

Calm down, Nat.

If Buyon Ferry posts a few messages in Spanish, it doesn't mean he's a Spaniard.

If he posts a few mathematical formulae, it doesn't mean he's a mathematician.

Similarly, posting a few sexist remarks doesn't mean he's a sexist.

We're all writers (or would-be writers) on this site. Accordingly, the more talented ones among us can write 'in character' as well as in our own voice.

Whatever Buyon is or isn't, you shouldn't let him wind you up.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ October 14 2010, 10:41 PM BST

Calm down, Nat.

If Buyon Ferry posts a few messages in Spanish, it doesn't mean he's a Spaniard.

If he posts a few mathematical formulae, it doesn't mean he's a mathematician.

Similarly, posting a few sexist remarks doesn't mean he's a sexist.

We're all writers (or would-be writers) on this site. Accordingly, the more talented ones among us can write 'in character' as well as in our own voice.

Whatever Buyon is or isn't, you shouldn't let him wind you up.

True, we shouldn't let people wind us up. But I don't think you can just assume everything everyone says is 'in character'. Otherwise there's barely any point conversing on here at all.

Hey Nat. Why don't you run along and get me a nice cup of tea and I'll sort out all these sexists for you Whistling nnocently

Quote: Will Cam @ October 14 2010, 10:50 PM BST

Hey Nat. Why don't you run along and get me a nice cup of tea and I'll sort out all these sexists for you Whistling nnocently

Yes, sir *batts eyelashes and skips off to put apron on*. Would you like a sandwich, too?