Female comedians Page 12

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2010, 3:26 PM GMT

But only once a month.

:P

No.

Was I asking you?

I'm definitely starting to agree with Zooooo that this is a subject that isn't really worth discussing.

And by that I mean Chicks can be funny as well.
:D Whistling nnocently

I think most people would agree that history suggests that women are not 'natural' joke-tellers in the way that men appear to be.

Fortunately for women comedians in the 21st Century, the age of joke-telling comedians is over and a new breed of observational comedians has sprung up to fill the gaps left by the old school comics.

It's this new school of comedy in which women can and will shine brighter than ever before because talking TO people rather than AT them (which is how the joke-tellers worked) is something most women are extremely good at.

Being a comedian doesn't require muscles, it doesn't require financial investment, it can done in addition to a day job and it's done when babysitters and childminders are at their most available.

I have a feeling women will soon be flourishing in comedy like in no other occupation in history.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 10 2010, 11:37 PM GMT

And by that I mean Chics can be funny as well.
:D Whistling nnocently

Absolutely !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFgaNSJe_w

I've known quite a few very funny women socially, but I think there may be a perception problem generally when women take to the stage or screen to be professionally funny. I think the problem often comes with their choice of material and the style or voice they choose.

For example, I believe that feminist or girl power type comedians tend to alienate many men by choosing mainly female based material. A lot of men say they can't stand Victoria Wood and yet her material is very innoffensive and mild although quite obsessed with women characters.

But with some men, yes it will simply be a case of being jealous of women's success in a man's world. I can't believe Jim Davidson doesn't ever find women funny! Especially socially. But that brings back my first point that being funny socially is actually very different to being funny professionally - an awful lot of men are turned off by women being pushy or outspoken or having an agenda, and a top female comedian's act can I think be viewed in this way.

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 11 2010, 1:12 AM GMT

Absolutely !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFgaNSJe_w

I love Chic!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 11 2010, 6:07 AM GMT

I've known quite a few very funny women socially, but I think there may be a perception problem generally when women take to the stage or screen to be professionally funny. I think the problem often comes with their choice of material and the style or voice they choose.

For example, I believe that feminist or girl power type comedians tend to alienate many men by choosing mainly female based material. A lot of men say they can't stand Victoria Wood and yet her material is very innoffensive and mild although quite obsessed with women characters.

But with some men, yes it will simply be a case of being jealous of women's success in a man's world. I can't believe Jim Davidson doesn't ever find women funny! Especially socially. But that brings back my first point that being funny socially is actually very different to being funny professionally - an awful lot of men are turned off by women being pushy or outspoken or having an agenda, and a top female comedian's act can I think be viewed in this way.

Alfred,

I'm really glad you shared your opinions, it proves there's still a prejudice against females in comedy, and that it's important to actively eradicate that prejudice. I'd be interested to hear what you think would make a successful female comedian.

Men that 'don't like women comics' could never say they 'don't like black comics' .

I'm all for female comedy nights and awards, it gives us a chance to perform in front of an welcoming audience. Woman are funny, but it is a different type of humour, and sometimes men are the butt of the joke. I guess some of you can't take the heat.

Did anybody mention Jenny from Ideal?
In my opinion she's one of the funniest characters ever

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sINHpny9fxY/0.jpg

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 11 2010, 9:43 PM GMT

Men that 'don't like women comics' could never say they 'don't like black comics'

Mind you, can you name 5 UK black comics you like?

Can you name 5 UK black comics?

Ava Vidal, Andi Osho, Lenny Henry, Stephen K Amos, Nathan Hudson.

AND two of them are women.

10 gold stars!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 13 2010, 7:42 PM GMT

Ava Vidal, Andi Osho, Lenny Henry, Stephen K Amos, Nathan Hudson.

AND two of them are women.

10 gold stars!

Never heard of the Hudson fellow. Admit you made him up as your brain was too racist to think up five real black people at the same time.