Shooting Stars - Series 7 Page 17

Quote: chipolata @ August 18 2010, 12:07 PM BST

I don't think it was that mean because there is more to him than just parroting things from the past. Although I wasn't keen on Phoenix Nights,That Peter Kay Thing is one of the finest comedy shows of the last twenty years. Up there with mockumerntary classics The Office and Human Remains. And for that alone he deserves respect.

I couldn't agree more about That Peter Kay Thing. I think it's a fine bit of work if not his best. But imitation is the sincerest form of flattery in my opinion.

Hasn't Peter Kay openly been a bit 'snotty' about surreal humour? Vic and Bob could have possibly had that in mind.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 18 2010, 12:16 PM BST

Hasn't Peter Kay openly been a bit 'snotty' about surreal humour? Vic and Bob could have possibly had that in mind.

Has he? When? Although it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 18 2010, 12:16 PM BST

Hasn't Peter Kay openly been a bit 'snotty' about surreal humour?

:O

The bastard!

Quote: James Cotter @ August 18 2010, 12:18 PM BST

Has he? When? Although it wouldn't surprise me.

After Noel Fielding, at a charity bash no less, came off stage, after not doing so well, Kay came on and basically put him and his style of comedy down to get laughs. Which is a bit shitty.

I understand he killed Graham Chapman and Spike Milligan

Typical Kay behaviour, really.
He's a twat.

(Ha, I won't edit. He probably did that too.)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 18 2010, 12:19 PM BST

After Noel Fielding, at a charity bash no less, came off stage, after not doing so well, Kay came on and basically put him and his style of comedy down to get laughs. Which is a bit shitty.

I do think he's a funny guy who's written some good material but there's something about his personality I don't like. He seems to do stuff like that a lot.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 18 2010, 12:19 PM BST

The name of the game is getting laughs. Is somebody's died onstage you have a joke about it, and the person that's died is probably first to laugh. Or did little Noel Fielding cry at the beastly Kay?

Quote: sootyj @ August 18 2010, 12:19 PM BST

I understand he killed Graham Chapman and Spike Milligan

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ August 18 2010, 12:21 PM BST

The name of the game is getting laughs. Is somebody's died onstage you have a joke about it, and the person that's died is probably first to laugh. Or did little Noel Fielding cry at the beastly Kay?

It wasn't in the way you're putting it across there though, it was in a dismissive, what the f**k was that? Sort of a way. I don't recall exactly, but basically a 'what was that load of old shit' sort of a response.

I do like Kay, by the way, he's made some right good stuff.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 18 2010, 12:23 PM BST

It wasn't in the way you're putting it across there though, it was in a dismissive, what the f**k was that? Sort of a way. I don't recall exactly, but basically a 'what was that load of old shit' sort of a response.

Meh. I like him. And he dissed Liam Gallagher at the brits, which is all right in my book. I wish he'd quit arsing about and do something as good as That Peter Kay Thing again, but I wish Ricky Gervais would quit arsing about and do something as good as The Office again.

At his best he's more a dramedian than a comedian in a good way.

Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing could be quite funny. But were also genuinely emotional and moving.

He's also a canny marketer who'd sell his canned farts if he could.

I suppose he may have reason to see much modern comedy as silly and shallow.

Quote: chipolata @ August 18 2010, 12:25 PM BST

Meh. I like him.

Me too, but it doesn't stop that being a bit of a shitty thing to do! :D

Actually, I never really understood his dig at Liam G; he tossed the award to someone in the audience, so Kay called him a knob head? Bit weird. Or did I miss something?

Quote: sootyj @ August 18 2010, 12:27 PM BST

At his best he's more a dramedian than a comedian in a good way.

Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing could be quite funny.

He's also a canny marketer who'd sell his canned farts if he could.

Totally agree with all three statements. I prefer him doing Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing to stand up.

Canny marketer is a understatement. He's very business minded, a bit too much sometimes.