Newsjack - Series 3 Page 16

Quote: sootyj @ June 22 2010, 11:12 PM BST

Because we can't all be you.

Please note I still have absolutely no credits to my name. Doesn't mean I hate my own material.

Quote: Ben @ June 22 2010, 11:12 PM BST

Why do so many of you seem to hate the stuff you're submitting?

Perhaps a well-developed critical faculty is necessary to ensure that the material is honed to perfection.

Or they are full of self-loathing.

Actually, I thought my sketches were good.

Unfortunately some muppet down at the BBC thought otherwise. But I'm used to it - it's almost a reassuring consistency.

No self-loathing here. I just loathe those on the other side of the fence who nonchalantly just bin my stuff.

Quote: David Burch @ June 22 2010, 4:23 PM BST

And have you had an auto-reply yet?

Yes thanks. I've printed it off and put it in my big Newsjack cut out and keep book.

Sometimes it's social nicety.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 23 2010, 7:54 AM BST

Yes thanks. I've printed it off and put it in my big Newsjack cut out and keep book.

How long did it take for you to get a reply? I sent my vox pops off yesterday
at 4.50pm ish and I've not had a reply yet. didn't get 1 last week either

Quote: David Burch @ June 23 2010, 10:29 AM BST

How long did it take for you to get a reply? I sent my vox pops off yesterday
at 4.50pm ish and I've not had a reply yet. didn't get 1 last week either

My co-writer sent ours off on Monday night and he said we got a reply pretty quickly.

Darn it. Blast. Damnation. Just spent the morning polishing my vox pops only to realise the deadline was yesterday at 5 of the pm!

What an idiot! I could have swore it was Wednesdays at 12.00. Oh well, no waiting till the last minute so Ive been rejected this week then! ARSE!

Just trying to get in the mind of the Newsjack producers.

I don't think I've ever hated stuff I've submitted, as I always think of it as funny, making it hard to hate it.

I am sometimes not convinced it fits in with style, topic, length, characterisation or don't think its as funny as it could be, as good as I'd intended or as snappy as I'd like, though. But I'm always strangely proud of it and happy it's got a chance.

Of course emphasising it's weaknesses means you're less annoyed when it's inevitably rejected, where as building it up as the greatest thing ever tends to lead to disappointment.

I love it before I press send. It's in the moments after that the realisation slowly dawns.

Oh well we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Newsjack is my World Cup.

Fantastic. A truck load of rubbish rubbish England vox pops goes down two hours before broadcast and Lo, the cartoonists have covered just about every first wave budget gag going a day and a half before we could even theoretically get them on air. And they were the two big stories of the week.

Ever heard the sound of a man getting his excuses in early?

There is a lot of self-hate on this thread.
Not from me, I bloody love my stuff. Bloody love it! :)

Well, someone has to!

Ba boom boom... tsch! Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the lamb.

Dan