My Family - Series 10 Page 7

Errr... Did Ben not say, in episode one, to Michael that "you don't live here anymore"? And now he's objecting to his behaviour, not emptying the bin etc, whilst living there rent free? This is the trouble with having separate writers.

I rather enjoyed that episode!
Genuinely funny.

There was some funny stuff, but I couldn't help feeling like - half of the time, and with Michael in particular - we weren't watching the same character that we've known for the past 10 years; not even that reflective. Ok, so coming out as gay is bound to change the tone a bit, but to such a large extent? Felt weird.

Aaron is the spitting image of old school Michael!

The fact that the BBC never repeat early episodes of My Family and that there are no episodes on the internet has driven me to buy the first 3 series on DVD. It's been years since I've seen them and I just had to see all those Nick episodes again. I got the first series for £4.97 from Wilkinson and the 2nd and 3rd from HMV for £6 each. Watching them took me back to when I was in my last year of junior school.

Quote: Aaron @ July 16 2010, 9:06 PM BST

Errr... Did Ben not say, in episode one, to Michael that "you don't live here anymore"? And now he's objecting to his behaviour, not emptying the bin etc, whilst living there rent free? This is the trouble with having separate writers.

The thing is, episode one and episode two have been switched for broadcast order. Hence, tonight's episode explained why Janey was in a nurse's uniform whilst episode one just left us guessing.

Also, tonight's episode saw Mike and Scott talking about not living with Ben and Susan whilst last week they were living together anyway. Janey and Kenzo had their own flat last week, a flat that they weren't given until this week!

This change in order has really messed it up. Unimpressed

Why on Earth did they change them around? *sigh*

Quote: Aaron @ July 16 2010, 10:51 PM BST

Why on Earth did they change them around? *sigh*

One reason I've heard is that they were afraid viewers being shown an episode like the one tonight would put them off. Whereas "Wheelie Ben" prompted no complaints whatsoever. >_<

How bloody stupid!

An odd episode. I liked it, but I agree with Aaron about Michael being different.

In a way he felt a bit wooden and straight.

Quote: David Carmon @ July 17 2010, 1:27 AM BST

An odd episode. I liked it, but I agree with Aaron about Michael being different.

In a way he felt a bit wooden and straight.

:O

I just want to add that theese 2 episodes aren't the only ones to get switched.

I went to see one being filmed in December last year, and it was called 'Desperatley Stalking Susan' and we were told it will be in series 11, as it was their 10th emisode to be filmed......but now, it is on series 10 as the 3rd episode!

Ahhh I get it, I was questioning a few bits in it but it makes sense now knowing the order was swapped. Actually think Wheelie Ben was a better opener because it focused more on Susan and Ben.

A few points to make. I did think, unlike series 9, the comedy is consistent, episode 1 is as good as episode 2, however that in itself isn't that much of a good thing because they seemed very watered down and weak? I mean, sure Alfie, Roger, Abi could be annoying but it seems really empty now. I mean the house in general seems so empty, don't you think? This episode only had four regular characters... I know back in series 1 you only had 5, but Nick totally split things up and I can imagine how funny it would have been to have Nick in these episodes, frantically pushing Ben's wheelchair around, crashing it etc etc, making fun of Michael or reacting in a funny way.

But you had Ben, Susan, Janey and Michael and in all honesty despite it having funny bits it felt so flat. Roger is also still in the title sequence? Is that a mistake or does he actually appear in it? I know Kenzo isn't in every single episode but Roger's role must be fairly small?

The more I think about it, the better it would have been to finish after series 8 (the last pretty entertaining series, minus a couple of episodes) and make one special which kinda tied things up a bit.

About the Nick situation, instead of having him disappear, why not have him appear in two episodes per series? In the most likely episodes where he could work his magic? It seems a little unrealistic; Nick, Abi and Alfie have all buggered off, I know people move on but we haven't seen Nick since the half way point...

What did everyone think of this episode anyway? I thought, like the time Michael got his girlfriend "pregnant" there would be a few jokes about it from Ben and a few funny puns/double entendre or are they just being politically correct?

Really enjoyed The Son'll Come Out last night. The series is back to it's best almost. But I feel sorry for Janey as she doesn't have a hell of a lot to do in most episodes. I do think the episodes so far have both been funny and this episode actually had a decent plot. I think they dealt with the issue really well.

I just want to say that Roger is in this series, and so is Nick!! He is making a return, as it says so on Wikipedia, and on his page.

Roger or Nick aren't in the next episode, as I saw it being filmed, but just to say, in the next episode Janie did really well, as she had a line which she had to say really fast and it was really long.....it took a few takes, but was great in the end!:)