Community Page 2

I just noticed last night's episode credited Tristram Shapeero as director and per IMBD he directed the excellent 'Contemporary American Poultry' episode 2 weeks ago. Also he's directed some recent episodes of Parks and Recreation.

I haven't watched this week's episode, yet.

With the exception of some moralizing here and there, this is quickly becoming my new favourite show.

Looks like this is going to be broadcast on Viva; which is good news. I liked the first few episodes I saw and want to see more.

I'm also still wondering why my opening post for this thread, the very first post of the thread in fact, has been blanked out as off topic.

Because it's not.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 6 2010, 9:42 AM BST

I'm also still wondering why my opening post for this thread, the very first post of the thread in fact, has been blanked out as off topic.

Because it's not.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit heavy-handed. Maybe the moderator thought this was a thread about 'community' with a small 'c' and decided you were off topic talking about a sitcom called Community. I'm not going to risk having my post blanked so I'd like to discuss my local communinity, Hackney.

The borough was formed in 1965 from the area of the former metropolitan boroughs of Hackney, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington. The new council adopted elements of its constituents in the new coat of arms; Shoreditch by three bells from Shoreditch Church (recalled in the rhyme Oranges and Lemons), Stoke Newington by two trees bearing fruit, and Hackney by the eight pointed cross of the principal landowners of the parish in the middle-ages, the Order of St John of Jerusalem. The shield is surmounted by a representation of St Augustin's Tower, the remains of Hackney's former parish church in the historical centre of Hackney. The motto is Justitia turris nostra, translated as Being fair is what makes us strong.[5] The Queen's portrait hangs in the council chamber, wearing the robes of the Venerable Order of Saint John.

Individual parts of the borough have a rich history. The Roman road, Ermine Street forms the western edge of the borough. Much of the rest of the land was covered with open oak and hazel woodlands, with marshland around the rivers and streams that crossed the area. Hackney lay in the Catuvellauni tribal territory.[6] The eastern boundary of the borough is formed by the River Lee. This was an ancient boundary between pre-Roman tribes, and in the Roman era, was tidal as far as Hackney Wick and continued as the boundary between the historic counties of Middlesex and Essex.

Sutton House was built in 1535In the Tudor period the lands of the religious order were seized and Hackney became a retreat for nobility around Hackney Central and Homerton, including Henry VIII's palace by the Lee Bridge roundabout, where BSix Sixth Form College stands today.[7] Sutton House, on Homerton High Street, is the oldest surviving dwelling in Hackney, originally built as Bryck Place for Tudor diplomat Sir Ralph Sadleir in 1535. The village of Hackney flourished from the Tudor to late Georgian periods as a rural retreat - brought to an end by the construction of the railway in the 1850s. Notable residents have included Thomas Sutton, Samuel Courtauld, Joseph Priestly, a governor of the Bank of England and the founding director of the Honourable East India Company.

Curtain Theatre circa 1600 print. Note: some authorities believe this to be a depiction of The Theatre - the other Elizabethan theatre in Shoreditch.London's first Tudor theatres were built in Shoreditch and the Gunpowder Plot was first exposed at nearby Hoxton.[8] Many grand houses stood in Stoke Newington and Stamford Hill, with the latter providing a haven for Hackney's many orthodox Jewish residents from the 1930s. Alfred Hitchcock made many of his first films in Hoxton at the Gainsborough Studios in Poole street.[9]

After industrialisation, extensive post-war development and immigration the area is now gentrifying its large stock of Georgian and Victorian terraces and new apartments, warehouse conversions and period restorations are being built.[10] Despite development it is inner London's 'greenest borough' and London Transport's 'best bike borough 2006',[11] with 62 parks and open spaces, covering 815 acres (3.3 km2).[12] Seven Hackney parks have now achieved Green Flag status.[13] One, Abney Park, became scheduled in 2009 as one of Britain's historic park and garden at risk from neglect and decay. [14] Hackney Marshes play host to the largest collection of football pitches in Europe; and will be the site of part of the 2012 Summer Olympics.

What the hell is Viva?

It's a free TV channel on digital.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 6 2010, 11:37 AM BST

It's a free TV channel on digital.

With appalling idents.

David's from da ghetto?

The first episode of Series 2 was a goodie. Highlights for me were Avid's constant jokes about it being their second series and trying to force in traditional sitcom tropes and Troy & Pierce's storyline making fun of CBS's sitcom #$#% My Dad Says.

Watching this for the first time. It's not too bad. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 6 2010, 9:05 AM GMT

The borough was formed in 1965 from the area of the former metropolitan boroughs of Hackney, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington. The new council adopted elements of its constituents in the new coat of arms; Shoreditch by three bells from Shoreditch Church (recalled in the rhyme Oranges and Lemons), Stoke Newington by two trees bearing fruit, and Hackney by the eight pointed cross of the principal landowners of the parish in the middle-ages, the Order of St John of Jerusalem. The shield is surmounted by a representation of St Augustin's Tower, the remains of Hackney's former parish church in the historical centre of Hackney. The motto is Justitia turris nostra, translated as Being fair is what makes us strong. The Queen's portrait hangs in the council chamber, wearing the robes of the Venerable Order of Saint John.

Individual parts of the borough have a rich history. The Roman road, Ermine Street forms the western edge of the borough. Much of the rest of the land was covered with open oak and hazel woodlands, with marshland around the rivers and streams that crossed the area. Hackney lay in the Catuvellauni tribal territory. The eastern boundary of the borough is formed by the River Lee. This was an ancient boundary between pre-Roman tribes, and in the Roman era, was tidal as far as Hackney Wick and continued as the boundary between the historic counties of Middlesex and Essex.

Sutton House was built in 1535. In the Tudor period the lands of the religious order were seized and Hackney became a retreat for nobility around Hackney Central and Homerton, including Henry VIII's palace by the Lee Bridge roundabout, where BSix Sixth Form College stands today. Sutton House, on Homerton High Street, is the oldest surviving dwelling in Hackney, originally built as Bryck Place for Tudor diplomat Sir Ralph Sadleir in 1535. The village of Hackney flourished from the Tudor to late Georgian periods as a rural retreat - brought to an end by the construction of the railway in the 1850s. Notable residents have included Thomas Sutton, Samuel Courtauld, Joseph Priestly, a governor of the Bank of England and the founding director of the Honourable East India Company.

Curtain Theatre circa 1600 print. Note: some authorities believe this to be a depiction of The Theatre - the other Elizabethan theatre in Shoreditch.London's first Tudor theatres were built in Shoreditch and the Gunpowder Plot was first exposed at nearby Hoxton. Many grand houses stood in Stoke Newington and Stamford Hill, with the latter providing a haven for Hackney's many orthodox Jewish residents from the 1930s. Alfred Hitchcock made many of his first films in Hoxton at the Gainsborough Studios in Poole street.

After industrialisation, extensive post-war development and immigration the area is now gentrifying its large stock of Georgian and Victorian terraces and new apartments, warehouse conversions and period restorations are being built. Despite development it is inner London's 'greenest borough' and London Transport's 'best bike borough 2006', with 62 parks and open spaces, covering 815 acres (3.3 km2). Seven Hackney parks have now achieved Green Flag status. One, Abney Park, became scheduled in 2009 as one of Britain's historic park and garden at risk from neglect and decay. Hackney Marshes play host to the largest collection of football pitches in Europe; and will be the site of part of the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Bussell's subtly ironic comic monologues, such as the one above, work much better when you see him perform them live at Clown Chowder. No, really...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 6 2010, 8:42 AM GMT

Because it's not.

Looks like someone must have clicked it by accident. It can happen occasionally. I've undone it now.
Sorry Stott!

Quote: zooo @ November 8 2010, 4:08 PM GMT

Sorry Stott!

That's actually a good description of him. Unimpressed

This show is aces

During a brief rhyming celebrity name bit Stephen Fry got a double name drop on the last episode 'Cooperative Calligraphy'. I hit rewind and turned on CC and sure enough I heard right the first time. Whoever wrote the caption didn't know who he was and spelled his name as "Stehpen fry" twice. :D