Community

Just caught the pilot of this new-ish American sitcom, featuring Chevy Chase in a role no less. Really quite liked it, I'll definitely catch up with the rest of the episodes.

What with this, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Eastbound And Down, The Office, The Big Bang Theory and Better Off Ted, it seems like America is really kicking our butts sitcom-wise at the moment. Oh, and maybe add Parks And Recreation to that list too; I haven't watched after a not great pilot episode, but it's apparently improved quite a bit, so I'll have to check it out again.

At the moment we do have some decent stuff. My DVR is perpetually stuffed right now. :)

This is the best new sitcom on TV (in America).

Ken Jeong as Senor Chang is the best sitcom character since Dwight Schrute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XPhLTEQL8&feature=related

'Senor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?' :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2010, 9:18 PM GMT

What with this, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Eastbound And Down, The Office, The Big Bang Theory and Better Off Ted, it seems like America is really kicking our butts sitcom-wise at the moment. Oh, and maybe add Parks And Recreation to that list too; I haven't watched after a not great pilot episode, but it's apparently improved quite a bit, so I'll have to check it out again.

I thought 'Modern Family' was very meh when I caught it, and haven't seen it since. I never heard of 'Eastbound and Down,' though.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but I think that 'The Office' jumped the shark when they made Jim and Pam get together. The two best aspects of that show was the chemistry between Michael and Dwight and the star-crossed relationship between Pam and Jim. Adding Andy Bernard actually improved the Michael/Dwight relationship and added another very funny character, Jim and Pam being together and getting married just KILLS their chemistry. They crackled when their love was impossible, and now they are just lame. But I suppose that should be for another thread.

Quote: deckard @ February 10 2010, 2:53 AM GMT

I thought 'Modern Family' was very meh when I caught it, and haven't seen it since. I never heard of 'Eastbound and Down,' though.

It's a low key grower, Modern Family. Eastbound And Down was on HBO, written by and starring Danny McBride (amongst others), from films like Pineapple Express. Will Ferrell produces and appears in a few episodes too. Tis a great show, second series is coming up soon-ish.

Community is amazing - really big fan. Abed and Troy obviously but the shift away from Jeff made the show much stronger.
Parks and Recreation's second season put it into the US sitcom A-list. Really, really strong ensemble work (It's often been described as The Wu Tang Clan of sitcoms), great writing and characters and ... oh I just love that show.
Eastbound & Down - really good at carrying on the feel of Foot Fist Way.
Modern Family is high quality but the Hugging and Learning grates on me and I prefer the raw meta-humour that pervades Community.

Quote: thefridaylink @ February 10 2010, 12:17 PM GMT

Parks and Recreation's second season put it into the US sitcom A-list.

I'll have to make sure to get on with watching that then. A lot of good comedy around at the moment.

Love Community.

Abed & Troy FTW.

Quote: thefridaylink @ February 10 2010, 12:17 PM GMT

(It's often been described as The Wu Tang Clan of sitcoms)

:D often, huh?

Wu Tang Clan and Parks and Recreation into Google yields about 53,000 results ... which is something Tom Haverford or April would have done...

http://www.knopeknows.com/alan-yang-answers-your-sweetums-questions Q&A with Parks and Rec writer on one of their recent (wonderful) episodes.
Sorry to derail the thread. There is good Dan Harmon (Community creator) interview floating around somewhere that I will find.

Quote: thefridaylink @ February 10 2010, 10:09 PM GMT

There is good Dan Harmon (Community creator) interview floating around somewhere that I will find.

Dan Harmon is the man, and you can clearly see his stamp on the show. The cyborg Kick-Puncher from the Romantic Expressionism episode is pure channel101.com genius. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to check out Heat Vision and Jack (kinda like Darkplace only much better).

I like Community, there is just something that keeps it from being great in my mind. I think the problem maybe in the hip vs. funny factor. The only thing less cool then sitcoms in the world of "the Arts" is being a clown.

Whu-?! My opening post of the thread is off topic?! Sort it ahhhht-!

I'm three episodes into this now; it's not bad. It isn't up there with the very best American stuff on at the moment (at least not in the first three eps) but it's a fun watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJPtmI8W6s

Amazing Dan Harmon show I stumbled across on Twitter.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 18 2010, 9:14 AM GMT

I'm three episodes into this now; it's not bad. It isn't up there with the very best American stuff on at the moment (at least not in the first three eps) but it's a fun watch.

I started watching after the third episode and I was hooked immediately. It has been preempted recently due to the Winter Olympics.