Sitcom characters you never see Page 7

Something even vaguely amusing was often expected to appear in The Thin Blue Line, but we never got to see it.

http://pebbles09.blogspot.com

Quote: Kenneth @ November 27 2009, 10:45 AM GMT

Interesting. Will have to find the book. Also living in Kiwiland thesedays is Mark Strickson, who was Turlough in Doctor Who. And one of Tom Baker's sons.

Very lamely meandering back on topic, Mr Humphries often mentioned his mother but she never appeared in AYBS, although he does disguise himself as her in one episode.

Yes, it's a long time before she appears. I think he is actually meant to be his mother in the episode, not just disguised as her. But I might be wrong. They did amazingly well to keep that programme going considering the limiations of the setting. The pantomime element - although no doubt hated by some, was ingenius really and largely the idea of John Inman I believe.

Another one that comes to mind is Frazer in Dad's Army has a relative (can't remember who) who he talks to on the telephone sometimes - who you never see or hear.

You never see many Christian characters.

Thank God

:D only meaning it light heartedly

Quote: Michael O'Connor @ November 27 2009, 11:29 PM GMT

Something even vaguely amusing was often expected to appear in The Thin Blue Line, but we never got to see it.

FAIL!

Quote: IT David @ November 28 2009, 3:17 PM GMT

That's quite a good point. They always talk about God and Jesus in The Vicar Of Dibley, but we never see them.

Quote: IT David @ November 28 2009, 3:17 PM GMT

You may like the look of this recent commission then, David. :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000180/tom_hollander_to_star_as_a_frustrated_urban_vicar_in_new_bbc2_sitcom/

I don't know if he's mentioned yet but I've never seen Sheridan Bucket. Frequently on the phone, but never shows up. I wonder what he'd look like...

Father Bigley from father Ted was never seen, although Ted used to describe him a lot. Oh and any of Alan Partridges family

The headmaster in The Inbetweeners is never seen.

Miranda's father was not shown but often mentioned.

Quote: David Carmon @ November 27 2009, 4:53 PM BST

You never see the Bishop in The Vicar of Dibley

Is that the Bishop of Mulberry? If so he was in episode 3, series 3, "Spring" played by Richard Griffiths.

Mrs H's husband Willie in Shelley, must make Jospehine Tewson only person to appear in two shows with unseen characters

Mark's mum and dad in Peep Show. Sooo much comedy potential there with Mark. :)

Another unseen character that no-one seems to have mentioned is Sir Roysten Merchant, owner of GlobeLink News in Drop The Dead Donkey.

A cut-out of him appears in an episode in the final series, and in the very last episode Sir Roysten does appear, played by Roger Hammond, when he is confronted by Gus. Sir Roysten claims to have know knowledge of who Gus is, despite the fact Gus is so loyal to him.

George Dent's wife Margaret does not appear until the final episode and does not speak, Alex Pates's mother does not appear until the final episode of series two (the last episode Alex appears in) and also does not speak, and Damien Day's camerman Gerry is heard (voiced by Andy Hamilton), but his face is never seen. The closest is during an office party when his body is covered in bandages.

Do we ever see Damien Day's unfortunate cameraman (Gerry I think his name is)?