Sitcom characters you never see Page 6

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 26 2009, 10:03 AM GMT

Yes but I thought that was in a TV episode, the one where he dreams he's Wellington or Napoleon. ?

Yeah, maybe. Seen the film loads of times though, and don't recall her making any kind of appearance. Oh, blimey, that means I'll have to watch it again!

No, I don't either and I haven't got the film on DVD, damn. But it's in the Halliwell film guide and that bloke was very seldom wrong. Is she in it, and whereabouts? ?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 26 2009, 10:10 AM GMT

Yeah, maybe. Seen the film loads of times though, and don't recall her making any kind of appearance. Oh, blimey, that means I'll have to watch it again!

The episode is called A Soldier's Farewell, I believe.

Ah yes, I've just found out that's series 5, one of the few I don't yet have, so I can't check the bunk bed scene, but I'm sure it's that one where we see the indenation of Mrs M and no more. If she is in the film then I reckon it must be a very fleeting appearance very early on. Isn't there a scene in it where we see the back of her hanging washing on the line? Or am I thinking of something else ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 26 2009, 10:57 AM GMT

Isn't there a scene in it where we see the back of her hanging washing on the line? Or am I thinking of something else ?

Mmm, don't recall that bit.

Carlton the doorman in Rhoda. Only heard on the intercom.

In Only Fools and Horses after the episode where they became millionaires Monkey Harris leaves a message on the answerphone after they have vacated the flat for millionaires row. Also the Driscoll brothers were mentioned quite a few times before they first appeared.

Me and My Girl with Richard O'Sullivan. Tim Brooke-Taylor's characters wife Muriel never appears but was mentioned a lot.

Tucker's wife in Citizen Smith. Just a pair of feet in one episode.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 26 2009, 10:30 AM GMT

No, I don't either and I haven't got the film on DVD, damn. But it's in the Halliwell film guide and that bloke was very seldom wrong. Is she in it, and whereabouts? ?

Are you sure they didn't mean 'Arthur Lowe's' wife, as she was in Dad's Army at some stage - playing one of Godfrey's sisters. Don't look for the name Lowe though, as she used a different name when acting. Another bit of trivia for anyone who's interested. I live in New Zealand and Arthur Lowe's son Stephen Lowe (have I spelt that right) live in the same small city I live in. He looks a lot like his father. He tutors in computer studies. He was actually in the film 'A Night to Remember' as a child actor (it's a film about the Titanic.) Stephen wrote a book about his father.

I've seen the Dad's Army film a few times and can't remember seeing Mrs Mainwaring. Although I suppose it's possible theres are scene where she's hiding behind clothes on a washing line or something. That does ring a bell - but maybe it's just a bell in my imagination.

I've just been reading a little book on Dad's Army. The guy who sang the theme song died a couple of months after recording it. David Jason was to play Jones, but the process of making him up each time would have been too time consuming. The show's working title was 'Fighting Tigers'.

Quote: vim1 @ November 26 2009, 11:00 PM GMT

Carlton the doorman in Rhoda. Only heard on the intercom.

In Only Fools and Horses after the episode where they became millionaires Monkey Harris leaves a message on the answerphone after they have vacated the flat for millionaires row. Also the Driscoll brothers were mentioned quite a few times before they first appeared.

Me and My Girl with Richard O'Sullivan. Tim Brooke-Taylor's characters wife Muriel never appears but was mentioned a lot.

Tucker's wife in Citizen Smith. Just a pair of feet in one episode.

Yes, Tucker's wife and Muriel are good ones.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ November 27 2009, 6:26 AM GMT

Another bit of trivia for anyone who's interested. I live in New Zealand and Arthur Lowe's son Stephen Lowe (have I spelt that right) live in the same small city I live in. He looks a lot like his father. He tutors in computer studies. He was actually in the film 'A Night to Remember' as a child actor (it's a film about the Titanic.) Stephen wrote a book about his father.

Interesting. Will have to find the book. Also living in Kiwiland thesedays is Mark Strickson, who was Turlough in Doctor Who. And one of Tom Baker's sons.

Very lamely meandering back on topic, Mr Humphries often mentioned his mother but she never appeared in AYBS, although he does disguise himself as her in one episode.

You never see the Bishop in The Vicar of Dibley

As to Norm's wife in Cheers:
--------
Norm has a wife named Vera who is often mentioned but her face is never seen. When she is finally shown, her face is covered in a thrown pie. The only other time she is seen, viewers can see only her legs.
--------
I do remember seeing her wandering in the room with face all covered with pie someone had thrown a second ago. It could have been season 6 episode or thereabouts.

Margaret in Little Britain

Quote: peter gazzard @ November 26 2009, 9:07 AM GMT

Would have said Del and Rodney's mother, but she will be in a younger incarnation in that spinoff show.

She's already been noted. :)

Quote: Kenneth @ November 27 2009, 10:45 AM GMT

Interesting. Will have to find the book.

It's quite good. Not amazing, but worth a read.

See Amazon product listing

Not seen this one, which appears to be different: [p=http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/481797/Arthur-Lowe/Product.html]

The relatives of the personnel in M*A*S*H. I know some were seen, but some weren't.

Not that he is a recurring character in Seinfeld but you never actually get to see the 'Bubble Boy'.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 27 2009, 9:32 PM GMT

Not that he is a recurring character in Seinfeld but you never actually get to see the 'Bubble Boy'.

Nope. I added Bob Sacamano earlier, but there was cousin Jeffrey as well.