Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 32

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 9:16 PM BST

Well said. Maybe the timing of this strikingly unoriginal looking thing starting the same week as the seemingly original looking Roger and Val was planned to deflect such criticism of the Beeb.

A friend of mine has this suspicion too, that the Beeb make some series better than others to make them stand out. I'm not so sure. It's more about commissioning and how much creative control they give established performers.

Re: Grandmas House...Curb your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders Show, Annually Retentive, Lead Baloon, have all used this idea (i.e. a celebrity portraying a parody of themselves) to a degree and its just getting a bit stale. It might have its good points but in the end it's a re-hash of some of those shows but it doesn't offer anything new.

I don't think Lead Balloon counts. Rick Spleen doesn't really have much in common with Jack Dee. One is massively successful, the other a big loser (career wise).

Simon is literally playing himself.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 9:16 PM BST

Well said. Maybe the timing of this strikingly unoriginal looking thing starting the same week as the seemingly original looking Roger and Val was planned to deflect such criticism of the Beeb.

Roger and Val is no more original than Grandma's House. They're both much of a muchness in the innovation stakes.

Very good again tonight, such great characters.

Loved it.

Thought this week's episode was really good. It took a while but I think it's found its way.

I think this is very clever. I loved the exercise ball scene. His mum is me. I tell my boys all the time about my nipples, stretch marks, baggy vagina & excessive skin. Not to mention my ridic long labia which I am sure they must have clung too for dear life on the way out.
Anyhoo I am enjoying this & sad that next week is the last one.

I went into this thinking "hate it hate it hate it"

But I like it, didn't like the cruelty to the plant though.

Quote: David Carmon @ September 7 2010, 12:17 AM BST

I went into this thinking "hate it hate it hate it"

Well don't give up now!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 7 2010, 7:24 AM BST

Well don't give up now!

Rolling eyes

Another wonderful episode. The Gym Ball prop was inspired.

I'm already looking forward to Series 2:
Simon announces a commission to write a sitcom about his family - My Life.
He needs to write it to 'move on'. His family reacts variously to the proposition of being portrayed on screen. "Only if Maureen Lipman plays me", ...

Series 3:
Simon's sitcom opens to mixed reviews. His acting is criticised as wooden; the format is unoriginal, ...