Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 30

No but it does star a future chairman of the BBC and they didn't have to take huge risks on an unknown writer or someone not already on TV. Heaven forbid the BBC accidentally giving a primetime sitcom slot to an outsider, that would be catastrophic.

Oh, give it a rest!

Not funny? For me, it's laugh-out-loud funny.

For instance, when Adam proudly adds 'that's one of mine' after reading his (online) comment on Simon's news story. ('Has anyone else noticed that his nose looks like a cock?')

Ah, well. Subjectivity is objective, and all that.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ September 5 2010, 12:16 PM BST

This programme is not a sitcom. It's not funny.

This programme is a sitcom, which you don't happen to find funny. You see? Hm?

Quote: JohnnyD @ September 5 2010, 1:00 PM BST

Not funny? For me, it's laugh-out-loud funny.

For instance, when Adam proudly adds 'that's one of mine' after reading his (online) comment on Simon's news story. ('Has anyone else noticed that his nose looks like a cock?')

Ah, well. Subjectivity is objective, and all that.

I thought that last episode was very funny, but so much so that it made the series look extremely inconsistent, lopsided even. I certainly wasn't expecting to laugh like I did after three weak episodes at best. It isn't the pile of dross I first thought it was, though I do wonder how far they can stretch the wafer thin premise and plotlines. The whole thing's thinner than a layer of baclava.

Quote: zooo @ September 5 2010, 12:39 PM BST

Oh, give it a rest!

You must be joking, now that I know BBC executives visit these boards! I have limited the number of them though since the the first bombardment. Only two more progs left (I hope) and I was very complimentary about last week's, against my own will. Think I've been quite fair. :)

Fair enough. You do rather keep banging on about the nepotism thing though. We all know how you feel about it already!

And surely now you've enjoyed parts of it you can believe that the commissioners saw genuine merit in the project, rather than just merrily handing out a show to the first Jew they saw that morning?

The BBC does that?

Where do I hang out?

Well maybe there was a light dew on the grass outside Broadcasting House that morning, let's put it that way. (Apologies to late Spike Milligan there.)

In other words, no, not really, I stand (slightly more nervously though) by my first words. Had that merriment been all over the first couple then maybe a reluctant yes to that. I think they simply managed to make a better job of a bad script as it went along, tbh, as to me, it's got much better every week, and I genuinely thought the opener was shocking. Also the pilot wasn't aired, which made me suspicious. Plus add the Beeb's history of the N word, as I banged on about in earlier posts. But enough, point made, let's move on. And of course I could be totally wrong! Only they will know. Hmmm.

However it does have some structural merit, in that it's got some good dynamics and interaction between the characters and its major saving grace imo, is the character of Clive. I mainly watch it for him. It does have some good things in it, yes. Enough to make up for its major faults? Not imo.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 5:48 PM BST

of course I could be totally wrong!

:O

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 5:48 PM BST

Also the pilot wasn't aired, which made me suspicious.

Neither was the pilot for The Office. Stop being a moron. Pilots are rarely broadcast these days.

Or was that first episode infact the pilot in some shape or form? Could explain its unevenness.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 5 2010, 6:29 PM BST

Or was that first episode infact the pilot in some shape or form? Could explain its unevenness.

I can't say I noticed it being in any way noticeably different in 'evenness' to any of the episodes that have followed.