Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 34

I can't help but think you're wrong about everything, BB!

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 8:30 PM BST

yes agree, I asked about 30 of my friends as I thought I was losing it and 28 didn't think it funny but liked it. I think it's in the editing. There are no pauses after a 'funny' line and no camera on the reaction of the other actor receiving the 'pun'. Acting is all about reacting and that makes all the difference

Oh I absolutely agree that the timing isn't quite right. I've found myself losing the odd line because I've laughed over it.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 7 2010, 8:38 PM BST

Oh I absolutely agree that the timing isn't quite right. I've found myself losing the odd line because I've laughed over it.

exactly and that is 'bad'. and bad timing. When there's a funny line, the camera should then be on the other persons reaction to that and that is what makes it funny, but in this they continue saying line after line quicksticks and you've no time to absorb and laugh....bad editing

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 8:35 PM BST

I can't help but think you're wrong about everything, BB!

I still think it's 'the king's new clothes' :D

What's your problem then? I do not lack a sense of humour, my favourite sitcom at present is Two And A Half Men, it's a laugh every other line as is Gimme Gimme Gimme/Dad's Army/Only Fools etc etc. Grandma's House isn't. It's a drama and as I said, it is probably very funny on the page and that is most likely why it was commissioned but it is not funny acted out. It is 'amusing'...likeable but definitely not splitting sides funny, therefore not a sitcom as the Beeb and so many insist that a sitcom has six laughs a page...where are their effin' rules in this one then or is it that Simon is 'in'.....most likely. Nice for him earning a fortune in a totally different field than presenting. But I am not bitter hahahaha
I still think the lines are said too quickly and there is no reaction from the others to the 'funny' lines. The editing is all to cock

I don't understand why you keep calling it a drama! It's a right royal sitcom! I laugh my arse off at EastEnders, but I still call it a soap.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 9:26 PM BST

What's your problem then? I do not lack a sense of humour, my favourite sitcom at present is Two And A Half Men, it's a laugh every other line as is Gimmie Gimmie/Dad's Army/Only Fools etc etc. Grandma's House isn't. It's a drama and as I said, it is probably very funny on the page and that is most likely why it was commissioned but it is not funny acted out. It is 'amusing'...likable but definitely not splitting sides funny, therefore not a sitcom as the Beeb and so many insist that a sitcom has six laughs a page...where are their effin' rules in this one then or is it that Simon is 'in'.....most likely. Nice for him earning a fortune in a totally different field than presenting. But I am not bitter hahahaha
I still think the lines are said too quickly and there is no reaction from the others to the 'funny' lines. The editing is all to cock

Bushbaby, please, for the love of the little baby Jesus; this IS a sitcom! There's no question about that. Now it may be one that you don't find funny and/or badly realised on screen, but it IS still a sitcom. You not finding it funny doesn't make it anything other than a sitcom. It just is! I don't understand why this keeps coming up.

Maybe it's a dramedy?

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 6:34 PM BST

Did The Royle Family polarise people? I thought it was generally well loved

I hated the warts on Ricky Tomlinson's nose.

Revolting.

Ok, with the Beeb's rules of six laughs a page, do you belly-laugh 180 times during Grandma's House, Matthew?

Simon has no such warts.

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 9:33 PM BST

Maybe it's a dramedy?

Maybe. It isn't though, is it; it's a sitcom.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 9:34 PM BST

Ok, with the Beeb's rules of six laughs a page, do you belly-laugh 180 times during Grandma's House, Matthew?

I thought it was 3 laughs per page, to be honest. And even at that rate, I doubt there's any sitcom that makes me laugh 90 times in half an hour.