What Have You Done Lately? Page 6

I haven't written any comedy for six months. Some would say never.

Quote: Ben @ September 10 2009, 1:13 AM BST

I just got in touch with one of the producers, chatted a few ideas over the phone with her and was then asked to submit. I suggest you give it a go.

Way to go Ben. :)

'Oi, Marc. If they want another novel and you haven't got an idea for one, move aside and let one of us fill the slot. lol'

Well the last idea is in the paper bin. I'll have another think on Monday.

Could someone be ruthlessly murdering people on a comedy forum? Simply to ensure he gets the whole of the latest run of Newsreuve to himself?

Isn't Mikey J already doing that?

The big,apocalyptic final scene: Mikey J v. SootyJ

Forever it shall be known as 'The Battle of the J's'

Dan

J-Gate

I can't write anything at the minute that is not totally influenced by The Life and Times of Tim. It's very annoying and makes me wonder if I even have an imagination.

Quote: Leevil @ September 10 2009, 11:34 AM BST

I can't write anything at the minute that is not totally influenced by The Life And Times Of Tim. It's very annoying and makes me wonder if I even have an imagination.

Cool

Could someone be ruthlessly murdering people on a comedy forum? Simply to ensure he gets the whole of the latest run of Newsrevue to himself?

Isn't Mikey J already doing that?

ha ha! :P Sooooo, you have worked out my maaaaaaster plan or NR domination. mwwaahahahaha!

Back on topic, yesterday, I finished polishing a script and sent it to Writersroom, purely with the intention of it being a "calling card" script... just to try getting my foot in the door...
... and not delusionally thinking that WR will show it to a top producer and get it made immediately. :P

Well the last idea is in the paper bin. I'll have another think on Monday.

I don't think I'll get any kind of writers' block as I'm always coming up with new ideas.
My "future projects" list is enormous.

6000 words, another 3 weeks of my life, another sitcom pilot written. Feeling quite proud and a bit pissed. This will be the 9th fully-completed script I've done. Maybe this'll be the one. Probably-not, but maybe.

I wrote it for a big Indie who showed a healthy interest in the treatment. It's probably the most honest piece I've ever written, in terms of getting down on the page what I really want to see on the telly. I've ignored current commissioning guidelines and just written what I think is funny. I have mixed feelings about doing that - but at the end of the day I think I'm happy with it. Now I have to say a little prayer and throw it to the slavering pack of wolves that is TV land. Hopefully they'll have a sniff and a lick and a nibble instead of ripping its giblets out through its newly-formed, virgin little bumhole.

Wish me luck guys.

Good luck Lee. I'm a fan of most of the things you put in critique, so I'm sure it must be pretty funny, at the very least.
Oh my god, when did I turn in to such an arse licker? *waits for SootyJ with his favourite picture*
All the best.

Good luck, Lee (and congratulations on a finished script)! :D

I'm a great believer now in just writing what you personally find funny and hope that others will too. I rather think reading commissioning guidelines is a waste of time. Just best to get on and script the show you really feel you want to write at the time. (I do have one eye on what an audience might also find funny, but it's very much what my kind of audience would find funny - if that makes any sense?) Which reminds me, I have to start my new sitcom pilot next week, my first one for radio, which will make a change. Wish I always enjoyed the actual writing as much as thinking about a script/show in my head. :(

My attitude now is write the damn thing, let it go out into the world and forget about it until you perhaps hear something. Get on with the next script, with the intention that it will be the best thing you've ever written. Assuming failure will greet your last script is not being a pessimist, but a good way of gearing yourself up to write better. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 8 2009, 1:02 AM GMT

My attitude now is write the damn thing, let it go out into the world and forget about it until you perhaps hear something. Get on with the next script, with the intention that it will be the best thing you've ever written. Assuming failure will greet your last script is not being a pessimist, but a good way of gearing yourself up to write better. :)

Wise words I think. I think that loads of people hide their work in drawers until it is "perfect". No harm in making it the best it can be, but if it is still on your desk three months later and you can only changed four or five words - I say get it out there and start on something new.

And good luck Lee.

Yeah fingers crossed Lee, well done.

:)

Quote: Marc P @ November 8 2009, 10:10 AM GMT

Yeah fingers crossed Lee, well done.

:)

Cheers all. I just wonder if the producer's going to read it and go "What the f**k are you on Henman?" Errr

It's got a strange character list - a depressed Satanist, a beautiful female Polish ex-assassin, a Secret Service Brownie, 2 zombies, a lactose-intolerant fetish guy in a bear suit, a nazi granny, a smattering of sword-wielding Lesbian Warriors and The Incredible Hulk.

It's not really a BBC1 thing. :)