What Have You Done Lately? Page 7

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 8 2009, 1:46 PM GMT

It's got a strange character list - a depressed Satanist, a beautiful female Polish ex-assassin, a Secret Service Brownie, 2 zombies, a lactose-intolerant fetish guy in a bear suit, a nazi granny, a smattering of sword-wielding Lesbian Warriors and The Incredible Hulk.

Aw, you stole my idea! :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 8 2009, 1:02 AM GMT

Good luck, Lee (and congratulations on a finished script)! :D

I'm a great believer now in just writing what you personally find funny and hope that others will too. I rather think reading commissioning guidelines is a waste of time. Just best to get on and script the show you really feel you want to write at the time. (I do have one eye on what an audience might also find funny, but it's very much what my kind of audience would find funny - if that makes any sense?) Which reminds me, I have to start my new sitcom pilot next week, my first one for radio, which will make a change. Wish I always enjoyed the actual writing as much as thinking about a script/show in my head. :(

My attitude now is write the damn thing, let it go out into the world and forget about it until you perhaps hear something. Get on with the next script, with the intention that it will be the best thing you've ever written. Assuming failure will greet your last script is not being a pessimist, but a good way of gearing yourself up to write better. :)

Is it possible to ruin your 'product'? I mean, if you keep sending things out to certain people or prod. comps and the first thing(s) you sent them were shit would they not read further scripts? I purposefully haven't ever sent anything out (yet) because of this paranoid thought that one bad script means you're black listed.

Sounds like an average day on Coronation Street to me.

Good luck, Henman.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 8 2009, 2:35 PM GMT

Is it possible to ruin your 'product'? I mean, if you keep sending things out to certain people or prod. comps and the first thing(s) you sent them were shit would they not read further scripts? I purposefully haven't ever sent anything out (yet) because of this paranoid thought that one bad script means you're black listed.

I wouldn't have thought so.

They get so many scripts. They don't remember the bad ones.

Just make em the best you can. Check for spelling mistakes and send them off.

What's the worst that could happen?

Quote: bigfella @ November 8 2009, 2:42 PM GMT

What's the worst that could happen?

They might read the stuff.

I don't send out a script I don't feel is ready to be read, of course. The more you write, the sooner you know when you've done all you can, and the script is ready for someone else's opinion. I'm in the fortunate position of now having people who know that I can write and want to see new work. This can be a double-edged sword, however, as you can worry just as much about them expecting your latest script to be very good - you worry about disappointing them.

I doubt that anyone has ever sent out a perfect pilot script, instantly ready to be shot and put on screen (perhaps Gervais & Merchant with The Office, if you believe the hype). You have to trust your instincts as to when you've reached the point where you think any more work on the script is more likely to harm it than help it.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 8 2009, 2:47 PM GMT

I don't send out a script I don't feel is ready to be read, of course. The more you write, the sooner you know when you've done all you can, and the script is ready for someone else's opinion. I'm in the fortunate position of now having people who know that I can write and want to see new work. This can be a double-edged sword, however, as you can worry just as much about them expecting your latest script to be very good - you worry about disappointing them.

I doubt that anyone has ever sent out a perfect pilot script, instantly ready to be shot and put on screen (perhaps Gervais & Merchant with The Office, if you believe the hype). You have to trust your instincts as to when you've reached the point where you think any more work on the script is more likely to harm it than help it.

True, true, homes.
:)

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 8 2009, 1:46 PM GMT

It's got a strange character list - a depressed Satanist, a beautiful female Polish ex-assassin, a Secret Service Brownie, 2 zombies, a lactose-intolerant fetish guy in a bear suit, a nazi granny, a smattering of sword-wielding Lesbian Warriors and The Incredible Hulk.

Sounds like a reworking of episode four, season two, of Terry & June

It's actually very difficult to get blacklisted; so you don't really need to dwell on that too much, if at all.

If it continues to concern you, however: you can always set up a new email account, and dispatch material under a pseudonym.

Quote: don rushmore @ November 8 2009, 7:25 PM GMT

It's actually very difficult to get blacklisted; so you don't really need to dwell on that too much, if at all.

If it continues to concern you, however: you can always set up a new email account, and dispatch material under a pseudonym.

Sneaky, I like it.
Have you ever sent stuff out to prod comps Mark? I seem to remember you had some good artwork of Christian Bale and Jeff Bridges as avatars at one point.

What have I done? Sweet F all.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 8 2009, 7:28 PM GMT

Sneaky, I like it.
Have you ever sent stuff out to prod comps Mark? I seem to remember you had some good artwork of Christian Bale and Jeff Bridges as avatars at one point.

Hi pal, I'm not really a writer myself. I do, however, have links with TV through my work as a storyboard artist.

Alas, the avatars were not my own work; I didn't mean to give that impression! I have posted artwork before (not on here), and it's been stolen. So once bitten and all that...

Quote: don rushmore @ November 8 2009, 7:51 PM GMT

Hi pal, I'm not really a writer myself. I do, however, have links with television through my work as a storyboard artist.

Alas, the avatars were not my own work; I didn't mean to give that impression! I have posted artwork before (not on here), and it has been stolen. So once bitten and all that...

Have you worked on any shows I/we might have heard of/seen?
Storyboarding is a skill I'd like to have, the ability to do some speedy, minimal line drawings, seems quite handy.

Quote: don rushmore @ November 8 2009, 7:25 PM GMT

Me and BBC radio sketch show workshops. I don't know why. :(

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 8 2009, 7:59 PM GMT

Have you worked on any shows I/we might have heard of/seen?
Storyboarding is a skill I'd like to have, the ability to do some speedy, minimal line drawings, seems quite handy.

Answered via PM.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 8 2009, 8:20 PM GMT

Me and BBC radio sketch show workshops. I don't know why. :(

With your new avatar, you could probably find work as a Kim Cattrall lookalike.