Not Going Out - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ October 25, 2006, 2:09 PM

Sure sure. I think we need to push the envelope on this one. I'll get something written that isn't thrown straight in the bin. I could probably have some people hired by the end of November, and then we'll really be able to run with this.

Rats!!

It just goes to show...me and my big mouth! That window that I promised you next year is no longer available. I know! I know! Building your hopes etc.

But the fact is that I've just bought a new shed at IKEA and it doesn't have a window so I'm afraid I going to have to use the one I promised you.

But I like the envelope idea. Sort of like a jiffy bag but only a bit smaller and a little less robust too. But hey! I like a challenge.

Do you think that we should be pro-active on this whilst exhibiting lots of synergy, project completion stroke (or maybe dash) deadline wise?

just wondering how much of the show is actually adlibbed by lee mack? him being a stand up comdedian and all.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ October 25, 2006, 3:04 PM

But the fact is that I've just bought a new shed at IKEA and it doesn't have a window so I'm afraid I going to have to use the one I promised you.

And heres me with more windows than the crystal palace!

Quote: ryan @ October 25, 2006, 10:35 PM

just wondering how much of the show is actually adlibbed by lee mack? him being a stand up comdedian and all.

Not as much as you'd imagine, as once we'd made it to the studio recording, the script was nailed down. However, as a stand-up, he was basically ad-libbing and riffing the whole time, much of which made it to the page. Plus, the rehearsal period was an important stage in development, and Lee and Tim and Megan came up with a lot of changes based on performing it. So you could say that part of it were ad-libbed and then the ad-libs were written into the final shooting script. And Lee definitely ad-libbed the Mick Hucknall line (with the fox fur) in episode two on the day of the recording.

I'm in the process of answering loads of questions about the show, sent to me by Mark, so bear with me and I'll get them back to him as soon as I can.

Well, congratulations Andrew et al. Very funny tonight. Had me laughing throughout. Seems much more comfortable and settled into itself every week. Can't wait for the next one! :)

Indeed, a good episode. The series keeps on improving. Nice to see a mainstream sitcom based completely on URST once again.

What I particularly liked was Lee's character being vulnerable to stress. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was concerned at first that Lee was going to be an invulnerable wisecracking machine. But his encounter with the acupuncturist (who was also very good in the first episode of Lead Balloon) showed that his attitude and smartarsiness also gets him into a lot of trouble, and people don't just let him waltz over them. In short, a succesful attempt at using Mack's stand-up persona in a sitcom environment.

Keep the gags coming, and I'll keep watching...

I love her!
She was good in Hyperdrive too.
Even if (almost) nobody seemed to like the rest of it.

I tried to like Hyperdrive.

Does that help?

who thinks vegie burgers are a good idea?
lee: cows!

brilliant!! il be laughin for days at that one

Tonights episode was even better - I think I'm getting to know the characters but it's really the constant stream of gags that appeals to me.

The "cows" joke made me laugh until I had tears in my eyes :D

And I love "There's no 'F' in way"!!

cheers

Paul

And I haven't changed my mind since a certain writer started posting here
Rolling eyes

;)

Yeah, last night's episode was brilliant, and that line was pure gold. Really enjoying it now, and hoping for a second series. (Do you know if there might be one, Andrew?)

Quote: Christian Cawley @ October 30, 2006, 12:34 PM

I tried to like Hyperdrive.

Does that help?

No.
: )

It's turned into a bit of an unmissable show, hasn't it?

Like a more successful version of what Linehan said he was trying to do with the IT Crowd - make an old fashioned modern sitcom.

Quote: Aaron @ November 4, 2006, 9:10 PM

Yeah, last night's episode was brilliant, and that line was pure gold. Really enjoying it now, and hoping for a second series. (Do you know if there might be one, Andrew?)

No word as yet from powers that be. Although I note that Jack Dee is already working on the second series of Lead Balloon, which began the same week as us. Not in any way jealous.

The IT CROWD was great i thought, Ive seen a lot of negativity about it but I for one cant wait for series two, Linehan never lets you down, hes one of modern comedies true writing greats.

It was good, but not great. Certainly had "old-fashioned" aspects to it in the way that Linehan was aiming for, but I dunno, didn't quite make it IMO.