Not Going Out - Series 1 Page 3

I skipped episode 1 after some really dodgy previews, so went to episode 2 with little expectation. I was pleasantly surprised to find it both likeable and funny. Third episode wasn't quite as good as the second but was still a very amusing way to spend half an hour. Certainly the most promising new "traditional" sitcom I've seen on BBC for a while.

I must admit that I missed the second episode after being a bit disappointed by the first, but if you think that it was better than 3, then I'll certainly watch it now. :)

Megan Dodds' character is getting better with every episode. She had a number of very nice acid zingers in episode three, and delivered them perfectly. She and Lee play very well off each other.
The traditional farce-storyline was well-handled, and the insight in Lee's character starts to make him more than a mere gag machine. I wonder how deep the series will dare to probe in his psyche though (as the accusation that his character only cares about himself is fairly correct, and it makes him a bit too invulnerable at the moment. I mean, hard to imagine anything short of a true personal disaster (say, an incurable disease) happening to Lee which could actually make him suffer at the moment).
Definitely one of the best 'neo-traditional' sit-coms around. One question though - apart from Lee Mack and Andrew Collins being credited as writers, there's a fair number of people providing 'extra material' - are these gag writers, coming up with one-liners? Or is it more of a full-fledged writer's room, with these people providing feedback and polishing up the basic script?

Quote: Andrew Collins @ October 21, 2006, 4:14 PM

I'm not sure I have such a thing, Scott, as I came onboard when the project was already "in development" at the BBC. I might have one for Grass.

Yes please, that'd be a great help. I think my scripts are often okay, but let-down by synopses and/or treatments simply because I'm never 100% sure what they are exactly, and it's difficult to get a straight answer!

If you have such a thing for 'Grass' I'd be very keen to view it :)

Quote: Wout Thielemans @ October 22, 2006, 6:23 PM

One question though - apart from Lee Mack and Andrew Collins being credited as writers, there's a fair number of people providing 'extra material' - are these gag writers, coming up with one-liners? Or is it more of a full-fledged writer's room, with these people providing feedback and polishing up the basic script?

Thanks for your positive comments! Lee and I wrote the whole thing, locked in an office for six months. Paul Kerensa was drafted in to help us meet the deadline, so he is credited as a co-writer on one whole episode (still to air). He, Simon Evans and Derren Litten were also charged with taking the scripts away and suggesting extra gags, many of which were used. Also, I believe just Paul and Simon did some last-minute rewrites and "tabling" with Lee the week of each record. Also, as you'd expect, Tim Vine made suggestions for his character too.

As a rule of thumb, if you laughed at a joke, then I definitely wrote it. If you didn't, it was one of those other blokes. ;)

Quote: Andrew Collins @ October 23, 2006, 1:53 PM

As a rule of thumb, if you laughed at a joke, then I definitely wrote it. If you didn't, it was one of those other blokes. ;)

Goes without saying! ;)

I still remember you from Telly Addicts

Quote: Scott Taylor @ October 22, 2006, 8:40 PM

If you have such a thing for 'Grass' I'd be very keen to view it :)

Scott, I've checked and I'm afraid I can't find the original pitch document for Grass, or Not Going Out. Sorry about that. The rules as I know them are: sell it in one line ("a black comedy about a London-based pub bore who is put in the witness protection programme after seeing a murder and ends up in the middle of the Norfolk countryside"). Then explain it in a paragraph. Then provide a more detailed breakdown if one is required. But if you can't sell it in one line, you've had it!

After my comments on the first episode I decided not to watch the second but tuned in again on Friday (I wasn't going out ho ho) and was pleasantly surprised by the episode.

I felt that it was stronger and a lot funnier and perhaps I was getting used to the look and feel of it also.

Anyway I will give it another go this week

now now Blenkinsop, your not sucking up to mr Collins here are you.....

;)

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ October 25, 2006, 11:19 AM

now now Blenkinsop, your not sucking up to mr Collins here are you.....

;)

That's not my style.

But I'd just like to take the opportunity to compliment you on your fabulous avatar. You seem a decent sort of person and if you write a sitcom I'm sure it will be fab.

Now can you see that I'm not one of life's sucker-uppers?

I hope you can, as I imagine perceptiveness is another one of your good qualities. ;) :D

I take it all back! Savvy, is a word I'd use, shrewd is another. You clearly have excellent taste and are welcome to a small walk on part when my sitcom is produced.......

.......... you never know, we might even make it to YouTube.

Great!

If I had any people I'd certainly get them to call your people (if you've got any that is) and we'd get something in writing to seal our deal.

I'm shooting on 3rd of January 2007 but can let you have a 'window' on any of the remaining 364 days.

Don't hang about though as I am expecting an offer of work to flood in at any minute.

Sure sure. I think we need to push the envelope on this one. I'll get something written that isn't thrown straight in the bin. I could probably have some people hired by the end of November, and then we'll really be able to run with this.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ October 25, 2006, 10:11 AM

Scott, I've checked and I'm afraid I can't find the original pitch document for Grass, or Not Going Out. Sorry about that. The rules as I know them are: sell it in one line ("a black comedy about a London-based pub bore who is put in the witness protection programme after seeing a murder and ends up in the middle of the Norfolk countryside"). Then explain it in a paragraph. Then provide a more detailed breakdown if one is required. But if you can't sell it in one line, you've had it!

No problem, thanks for checking though. All advice is welcome. The little structure you outlined is more than is available in some info sites, so cheers.