Not Going Out - Series 1 Page 2

Just watched ep 2 - brilliant
:D

I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it was brilliant but it did make me laugh many times. The one complaint I would make is that there seem to be too many jokes in the show at times. The show has a very solid premise and it would be nice if they concentrated on the characters a little more and didn't try to crowbar in quite so many jokes.

i think lee's character is one that tends to make a joke out of everything.it's what his character centres around. personally i found the episode funny and it could be one of the mot promising ive seen on the bbc in a few years. more of the same!

Quote: Blenkinsop @ October 6, 2006, 11:17 PM

I have to say that I thought this was woeful.

It suffered from all the problems that most 'modern' sitcoms seem to suffer from, inasmuch as it wasn't remotely funny.

The characters had no depth and did nothing to engage me at all. They all seemed totally two dimensional.

I don't think I cracked a grin once except for the IT joke and I think I've maybe heard this somewhere else already.

On paper the cast and writer promised so much more and I can't really understand why we got what we got.

Maybe it was Andy Millmaned.

Just for the record, it wasn't "Andy Millmaned". If you didn't like it, I'm afraid we can't blame any interfering outside forces. It was the sitcom we set out to make. If anything, the BBC were very supportive and let us get on with it.

Well, I did quite like today's episode, I must admit. Yes, I still found some of the Tim-Lee dialogue a bit odd, but it felt a lot more like it had settled into itself and didn't have to "prove" it's worth in quite the same way. Much better. :)

Oh, and I want the gorilla and bunny suits!

(And for anyone wondering, Andrew Collins co-wrote Not Going Out with Lee Mack. Welcome Andrew!)

I watched it for the first time tonight, and it actually really made me laugh.
I've found myself muttering 'I am a spanner' to myself and chuckling like a twat all evening.
What more can you ask from a sitcom...

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. I liked the traditional structure but think the humour is well up to date. It's a good example to budding writers like myself of achieving a lot with only a few characters. My favourite bit was:

"I can't just turn it off and on like a tap"
"Force it"
"Alright, I can't just turn it off and on like a fawcet"

Great stuff.

Entertaining stuff - stumbled upon it by accident last night and I'm glad I did, not only for the lovely Megan Dodds but also for Lee Mack who somehow manages to be very funny despite not looking very funny.

Tim/Lee scenes reminiscent of Gary/Tony scenes in MBB, which cannot be a bad thing.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series (Although not as much as Torchwood...)

Have been enjoying the show, and found myself laughing continuously through last nights episode. Yes, in many ways it feels quite an old fashioned sort of show, but the sheer rate of gags meens it gets enough good hits in to be consistently amusing.

Just watched last night's episode and enjoyed it. It's good to see a traditional sitcom that works. I've had enough of madcap, out there rubbish like Dogtown and Hyperdrive.

One criticism...the excessive use of audience laughter. It felt like hysterical laughter accompanied almost every line which became annoying after a while. That aside, a good show with some funny one liners.

Quote: Wheeler @ October 21, 2006, 10:57 AM

Just watched last night's episode and enjoyed it. It's good to see a traditional sitcom that works. I've had enough of madcap, out there rubbish like Dogtown and Hyperdrive.

Couldn't agree more. Too much niche tripe around now! :)

Hopefully this will kickstart a return to the traditional structure. The traditional British sitcom is dead? My arse.

I'm still enjoying it as well and I hope it gets a second series.

I was wondering if Andrew Collins might be up for posting on the Writer's Forum the 'treatment' or 'synopsis' that was written for Not Going Out when it was submitted to the Beeb? I always struggle to make synopses sound as fresh as I'd like when I submit scripts. It's a bit cheeky to ask I know, but thought I'd ask as it would be a genuine help to me and - I'm sure - others.

Quote: Scott Taylor @ October 21, 2006, 1:32 PM

I was wondering if Andrew Collins might be up for posting on the Writer's Forum the 'treatment' or 'synopsis' that was written for Not Going Out when it was submitted to the Beeb? I always struggle to make synopses sound as fresh as I'd like when I submit scripts. It's a bit cheeky to ask I know, but thought I'd ask as it would be a genuine help to me and - I'm sure - others.

I'm not sure I have such a thing, Scott, as I came onboard when the project was already "in development" at the BBC. I might have one for Grass.