Not Going Out - Series 1 Page 11

I just watched the last 3 episodes on not going out i genuinly like it. The biggest problem i think is that i don't think i'll ever LOVE it. I can't when i don't actually care about anyone it. I think the set-up jokes are as good as i've ever seen in a sit com. I just don't believe so much of it. I don't believe he lives in that apartment, i don't believe in her and i don't care if they're happy or not. I'm glad it's gonna be on again though because i think they may be able to iron some of these things out.

I care!

But I agree that the apartment doesn't feel right.

Also, they barely ever mentioned what she's supposed to do for a living. I only just worked out in the last episode she was some kind of agent/publisher. But maybe I wasn't concentrating.

personally i think its a pure gag-fest. There is no real charcter depth, but is there supposed to be? I love Vine and Mack's stand-up routines but found it a bit weird seeing it directly transported into a sitcom. I can see why people like it as it is funny, but I didn't really get into the characters and plot as these were clearly secondary to the jokes. A lot of people like that, so fair play.

There is character depth! In the Lee being in love with thingy... thing.

Yes, the American girl? Kate? Is that it? I don't know. The whole triangle thing.

Have to say, I'd not been able to put my finger on it before, but Josh and Nuts have got it. Yes, it's funny - very funny, IMO - but I just don't feel a real connection to the characters like that. Not entirely soul-less of course, but something kind of missing.

Well, I don't *think* I feel a connection just because I fancy him. But it's always possible.

I like it a lot... but there are just too many gags. And I never thought I'd be able to say that about any sitcom.

It's almost like the bit in a Disney cartoon where all the inanimate objects start singing and you just wish they'd get on with the story.

I also like it a lot, and find it easy to watch, but i do find that although most of the gags are funny there isn't enough build up, where in only fools and horses, the most memorable scenes have a lot of build up, like the fall through the bar, he is trying to act all swish for the ladies and he falls over, in NGO there isn't any of these, there is just quick fire gags, as a stand up myself, i love the fact it is very stand up comedy-ish, but as a sit-come it is good but not great. (that is the most sense i have talked on here for weeks, i feel like a ramble now.)

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 8, 2007, 6:15 PM

I like it a lot... but there are just too many gags. And I never thought I'd be able to say that about any sitcom.

Too many gags?! You're like the emperor who told Mozart there were too many notes in his opera. ;)

It's almost like the bit in a Disney cartoon where all the inanimate objects start singing and you just wish they'd get on with the story.

:D The stories are pretty thin though, aren't they? I don't think that's a bad thing for this show though. It just works, but I wouldn't want it getting bogged down with the characters' personal lives or it would be in danger of turning into...[whispers]Friends[/whispers].

It basically IS standup with the routines veeeerrrrryyy loosely joined up into a sitcom.

Quote: Lewis Roberts @ June 8, 2007, 8:01 PM

i do find that although most of the gags are funny there isn't enough build up, where in only fools and horses, the most memorable scenes have a lot of build up, like the fall through the bar, he is trying to act all swish for the ladies and he falls over, in NGO there isn't any of these, there is just quick fire gags

I disagree. In one episode (I forget which), there's a great set up throughout the whole show about Lee working in animal suits, giving out advert leaflets, with an absolutely brilliant payoff towards the end.

I'm talking about balance. Light and shade. The spaces are as important as the... er, filled-in bits! In music and art... and comedy.

NGO would still be a million miles from Friends. Even with a bit more 'story'.

Quote: Aaron @ June 8, 2007, 11:15 PM

I disagree. In one episode (I forget which), there's a great set up throughout the whole show about Lee working in animal suits, giving out advert leaflets, with an absolutely brilliant payoff towards the end.

I knew there was a few, but i think that a lot of the gags could have better build ups, although i wouldn't like it to go too intimate on the characters, i think the one you speak of Aaron is the one when The american girls aussie friend comes to stay and her and lee pretend to be a couple and looking back on it there was another gag in that very episode with some build up which came much earlier in the episode, where Kates (i think that is the characters name) has a woody doll and it says "if i was it will you touch it" so saying there isn't any build up was wrong on my part, and as a stand up i love the quick fire and well timed delivery, and i could watch it over and over, just a few more 'in-depth' storylines would make it better IMO.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 8, 2007, 9:00 PM

It basically IS standup with the routines veeeerrrrryyy loosely joined up into a sitcom.

I think that describes it best. But I think the writers must of intended it to be like that.