Hello to all you laughterites Page 2

Quote: whosaidit @ June 16 2009, 6:23 PM BST

Hi again, I have consuted she who must be obeyed. Now she insists it was "not love thy neighbour" but may have been nearest & dearest especialy if it had Thora Herd and it was "our Eligh". I could get into serious trouble here, I can feel it.

Well that sounds like something Hird would have said in Last Of The Summer Wine. But the "I'll have 'alf" quote is DEFINITELY from Love Thy Neighbour. I have been watching the series on DVD recently so can say this with 100% certainty. Possible it's been used elsewhere of course, but as a constantly repeated catch phrase it is from Love Thy Neighbour. 'She' is just plain wrong if she says otherwise.

And Nearest And Dearest, set in a pickle factory, has been mentioned numerous times now, but as far as I know, Thora Hird was not in it. Certainly not as a regular character.

With the greatest respect, your wife (?) seems to be remembering at least 3 different series from the same era, as one.

I will watch some of Nearest And Dearest tomorrow to confirm it to myself, if no one else.

Thanks for sticking with me Griff, It is as you and indeed John Lucas 101 and Aaron say, Love Thy Neighbour and Jacko who used the phrase.
I eventually found reference to "i'll ave arf" in Wickipedia. Its a good trivia Question as most people it seems only recall the four (two couples)from the show.

Thanks again to you all for your help
keep it up (laughing)

Quote: whosaidit @ June 17 2009, 8:35 AM BST

Its a good trivia Question as most people it seems only recall the four (two couples)from the show.

Don't forget Tommy Godfrey as Arthur.