Hello to all you laughterites

As my profile says. I have a question I would like the answer to.
Who and in what role/show was it that said "I'll av arf" I believe it was in a sit com and that the character was a cloth capped northener. Maybe the early days of L.O.T.Summer Wine? it has been suggested that it was "The Pickle Factory" but I had not heard of "the pickle factory" prior, so I seriously doubt it.

If you have the answere, thanks, and if you do not thanks for reading.

Ron :)

I believe the character was 'Jacko' from 'Love Thy Neighbour'.

Yes, definitely Love Thy Neighbour.

AFAIK there is no sitcom called The Pickle Factory either. Perhaps it has been confused with Nearest And Dearest, which is set at a pickle factory.

(Thread moved.)

Well, this has whet my appetite. I now demand to see a sitcom called The Pickle Factory!

I thought it may have something to do with "I didn't know you cared" but I may be wrong.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 16 2009, 11:58 AM BST

I now demand to see a sitcom called The Pickle Factory!

It'd last!

Quote: Chappers @ June 16 2009, 12:21 PM BST

I thought it may have something to do with "I didn't know you cared" but I may be wrong.

No, but now you have got me thinking - what was Uncle Stavely's catchphrase in I Didn't Know You Cared?"

Quote: Timbo @ June 16 2009, 1:34 PM BST

No, but now you have got me thinking - what was Uncle Stavely's catchphrase in I Didn't Know You Cared?"

'I heard that! Pardon?'

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 16 2009, 1:36 PM BST

'I heard that! Pardon?'

:D Thank you!

Well Thankyou one and all for your answers and questions. How does it go "there are more questions than answers"
It seems, and don't get me wrong as I mean it in the nicest possible way..your all slightly mad!!

I can't imagine a worse place for a sitcom than somwhere that all the actors would go home just a little "pickled". Why they would forget there lines miss their intros,that's apart from smelling of vinegar ;)

Thanks again

Hi again, I have consuted she who must be obeyed. Now she insists it was "not love thy neighbour" but may have been nearest & dearest especialy if it had Thora Herd and it was "our Eligh". I could get into serious trouble here, I can feel it.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 16 2009, 11:58 AM BST

Well, this has whet my appetite. I now demand to see a sitcom called The Pickle Factory!

Well, you'd need to get a writer that knows his onions !

there was one set in a pickle factory Nearest and Dearest

It seems as though Peter Gazzard may have the answer.

Errm this is getting worse! as I have now looked up Nearest and Dearest and I suspect it was Joe Gladwin who said I'll av arf. He, as it turns out was in both N & Dearest as well as Last of t.s.wine,as Wally. So come on folks can anybody remember that far back? Was it really Wally that said I'll av arf? in l.o.t.s.w

Quote: Griff @ June 16 2009, 11:32 PM BST

"I'll have 'alf" was the character Jacko in Love Thy Neighbour.

Played by Keith Marsh as I recall.