The Weather Page 195

The country's literally on fire.

It doesn't feel that much cooler today.

Quote: lofthouse @ 19th July 2022, 6:50 PM

Not sure I read 'thousands' will die...

It's true. Several sources said exactly that.

Daily Mail

Good Morning Britain

If you're saying that the Daily Mail creates sensational headlines I agree.
As for the deaths they may or may not have been prevented you never know the benefits of prevention unless you use hair brain data like the eradication of polio via a national vaccination scheme .

Quote: alison blunderland @ 20th July 2022, 7:27 AM

Good Morning Britain

That's the same woman who said yesterday, for those who wouldn't understand what a 2 degree increase in heat would mean - she compared it to Hussain Bolt knocking 2 seconds off the world record for the 100 metres.

Ahh, I see.................

Read an interesting piece about temperature.
The difference between two degrees below body temperature and two degrees above is massive in terms of how it affects your body.
Your body spends all it's time keeping you at (on average) 37.5º - if the ambient temperature is above that it has to work flat out just to keep you healthy.
Just sitting down in that sort of heat is a strain on the system.
Add in any form of activity and/or an underlying health condition and you can quickly get in trouble.
One of those condition is an infection like Covid - currently on the rise.
So, I think we can forgive the possibly over-cautious headlines.

What a f**king shitty nation of moaners, groaners, gripers, whiners and whingers we f**king are. All we ever do is moan about our shitty weather - it's too f**king cold, I'm f**king freezing, f**king cold innit? - now we get a heatwave, and what're we doing?

What a difference a day makes....

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th July 2022, 10:27 AM

What a f**king shitty nation of moaners, groaners, gripers, whiners and whingers we f**king are. All we ever do is moan about our shitty weather - it's too f**king cold, I'm f**king freezing, f**king cold innit? - now we get a heatwave, and what're we doing?

It's called being British

The weather and football - it's all the small talk I've got

Anyway I'm far too hot and bothered to be arguing with the likes of you

Don't moan. How many times have you wished every girl on the way to work was sizzling?

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th July 2022, 9:39 AM

Your body spends all it's time keeping you at (on average) 37.5º - if the ambient temperature is above that it has to work flat out just to keep you healthy.
Just sitting down in that sort of heat is a strain on the system.
Add in any form of activity and/or an underlying health condition and you can quickly get in trouble.

Thanks for passing on that cheery bit of information just before I got out and work on my grass and landscaping for two hours. It's hit at least 100F every day for the last six or seven weeks, and there's no end in sight. Plus we're in the middle of a severe drought: only 5 inches of rain so far this year (13.16 inches below normal). If it keeps up like this I won't have a yard to mow.

P.S. My daughter respectfully requests that you get the hot weather out of the way before she visits in three weeks.

Plenty of water breaks in the shade.
Tell daughter not to worry, it'll be hailing by then.
And flooding.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th July 2022, 5:11 PM

Plenty of water breaks in the shade.

Not much shade to be had. I just head inside into the air conditioning between chores, but it takes all my strength to go back out again.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th July 2022, 5:11 PM

Tell daughter not to worry, it'll be hailing by then.
And flooding.

:)

Quote: DaButt @ 20th July 2022, 5:14 PM

Not much shade to be had.

:)

Plant a tree!
?

Dull, overcast, cloudy, gloomy with possibility of rain later - HOORAY!!!!