The Weather Page 193

You sound disappointed, Alfred.

"...but the wind will make it feel colder."

We don't care what it feels like without the wind. We want to know how bloody cold it is.

Finally it's coming sunny days. I love summer:)

Springtime for me.

I've always gone by the old saying: in the spring a young man's fancy turns to the flat racing season.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th March 2022, 3:05 PM

Springtime for me.

And me, absolutely - my heart lifts when I see the beautiful pale yellow of the primrose (Primula vulgaris - says a lot about me?) and I think this comes from the happy memories of childhood when, with my mum and dad we used to take a walk through the local wood on a Sunday, which was smothered in this gorgeous little flowers....................only thing was, they tried to sneak off when I was looking at them, but I always managed to catch them up.

We part company there, as I have absolutely no interest in horse racing, which I find an utter bore.

It looks like we're firmly into spring weather here in south Texas. It's supposed to hit 83F/28C, so my neighbors and I will be having a St. Patrick's Day party on the street in an hour or two. I won't miss winter at all.

Sahara sand cloud arrived here yesterday.

Must need a lot of grit to live in the South

It has just started snowing, and big flakes too. This time last week was like a summer's day.

The end of the world is nigh!

It's global warming - oh no wait, it's global cooling

Fake news!

107F/42C at the moment. We've been in triple digits 24 out of the last 30 days. You haven't lived until you've had to spend 30 minutes in a 130F/55C attic to investigate a malfunctioning water heater. Looking forward to flying to cool(er) Seattle Thursday.

We're 12.5 inches below the normal rainfall and things are turning an unpleasant shade of brown, but for 10 minutes and 3 miles yesterday, I drove through a blinding thunderstorm and watched the thermometer on my car plunge from 107F/42C to 73F/23C in a matter of seconds. It was glorious while it lasted.

It's to warrum for me and too warrum for me dog - so we've downed tools till it's over.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday when I can wear my coat again.

I may well have mentioned this before, but in 1976 (remembered well, especially trying to keep out new born baby son cool at home), we had a repair workshop at the back of our photographic retail and in the winter we used a Super Ser portable gas heater (do they still make them?) and in a mad moment I suggested we close all the doors, put all three burners on full blast and see which one of the three of us was the first to run out of the room, unable to stand the heat any more!

Pleasures were hard to come by in those days...................