The Weather Page 194

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th July 2022, 8:24 AM

I may well have mentioned this before, but in 1976 (remembered well, especially trying to keep out new born baby son cool at home), we had a repair workshop at the back of our photographic retail and in the winter we used a Super Ser portable gas heater (do they still make them?) and in a mad moment I suggested we close all the doors, put all three burners on full blast and see which one of the three of us was the first to run out of the room, unable to stand the heat any more!

Pleasures were hard to come by in those days...................

I do have a Super Ser gas heater in the shed so if I'm feeling suicidal I might try and recreate your 1976 insanity later.

Go for it, and if it's faulty you won't have to commit suicide.

The RAF have closed Brize Norton because "the runway's melted".
Woke snowflakes.

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th July 2022, 4:20 PM

The RAF have closed Brize Norton because "the runway's melted".

What are your runways made of? Chocolate?

Yes.
And it tastes nicer than your chocolate!
???

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th July 2022, 4:36 PM

Yes.
And it tastes nicer than your chocolate!

I don't eat chocolate, but I think the Belgians have us both beaten.

bloody ell, it's crackin't flags

Great to see Becky Mantin on the ITV weather in that summer dress.

Enough to make Prince Andrew sweat.

Well, someone had to.........................

As the heatwave was approaching, the tabloid media were screaming 'Thousands will die!"
With the heatwave now in full swing and temperatures in Britain already at record or near-record levels, we read, 'Death toll hits 12'.
It's almost as if we can't believe everything the papers tell us is going to happen. :O

Not sure I read 'thousands' will die...

Quote: lofthouse @ 19th July 2022, 6:50 PM

Not sure I read 'thousands' will die...

I saw it on many different websites:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/15/heat-emergency-declared-in-england-as-temperature-expected-to-hit-40c

Not a mention in The Worker eh

I mean, it was a warning, not a promise. You warn people there's a chance they might die, and they take precautions not to die, and then people don't die. It's the Y2K paradox on a smaller scale.