Best cameo performances in sitcoms Page 3

Quote: Jane P @ June 6 2009, 8:38 PM BST

For reasons other than comedy I'd like to nominate George Clooney and Noah Wyle in Friends. :$

And it was more of a guest appearance than a cameo, but I thought Brad Pitt in the same show was really quite funny in it.

I'd also like to 'second' Steve Coogan in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Lastly isn't it time they repeated Caroline in the City? I used to love that show. No doubt they do, but on a channel I never get to see.

Jx

I didnt rate Billy Crystal and Robin Williams on 'Friends' as they were only on the show to promote their film Father's Day, which is incidentally better than their Friends bit IMO

Brendan Grace as Father Finton Stack in Father Ted
I thought Flash turned an average 'Blackadder II' episode into a true classic and he turned a great 'Blackadder Goes Fourth' episode into the best of the whole Blackadder series, so would go for him.
Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Clive Dunn, John Laurie, James Beck, Arnold Ridley and Ian Lavender in The Morecambe and Wise Show
Fulton Mackay in Going Straight
John Le Mesurier, James Beck and Richard Davies in Two in Clover
Johnny Speight in Till Death Us Do Part
Mr 'Waldord Salad' Hamilton in Fawlty Towers
Christopher Ryan's McCendrick twins in One Foot in the Grave

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 5 2009, 9:01 PM BST

5) Bernard Cribbins in 'Fawlty Towers'.

Loved the part when Basil went up to him and said 'Spoons Hey'

Quote: don rushmore @ June 6 2009, 1:52 AM BST

You just don't want to lose face on here by admitting I'm right.

You're right, I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation for superior wisdom, which I have worked so carefully to establish on this site over the years.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 7 2009, 10:24 PM BST

You're right, I wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation for superior wisdom, which I have worked so carefully to establish on this site over the years.

Ah yes, I recognize this. It's sarcasm, isn't it?

Well, have no fear. You'll always be a little star to me, Tim. Even if my production company did reject one of your scripts. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 5 2009, 9:01 PM BST

Apologies if there is already a similar thread. Haven't seen one.

Not the same thing but there is some crossover with this thread: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/3962

Quote: don rushmore @ June 8 2009, 1:50 AM BST

Well, have no fear. You'll always be a little star to me, Tim. Even if my production company did reject one of your scripts. :)

Quote: zooo @ June 7 2009, 2:09 PM BST

I liked Hugh Laurie in Friends. As the moody air passenger.

Ahh Hugh Laurie - did you see him on Jonathan Ross, Friday? I saw the West End show he mentioned, 'Gasping'. I never realised he was actually floating around the upper circle at the time (I needn't have wasted my money on seats at the front then!).

I know House is supposed to be very good but I miss him on our shows. He was great in Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster, even if it was basically the same character. And some of the sketches of course.

:)

Jx

I agree with the Brad Pitt thing in Friends. That was excellent and, given they were still together back then, extremely tongue-in-cheek.

Not necessarily comedy, but I'd love to see a character from a drama that had been cancelled, killed off in a different series. That would be ace. ie seeing Paulie Walnuts on the slab in CSI: New York or something.

Dan

"Word Up" is played in The Simpsons "Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words" episode.

Quote: don rushmore @ June 8 2009, 1:50 AM BST

Really? Which company/script? Hopefully it's not the one I've got a development deal on now. You're, of course, forgiven. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the only way you'll learn and grow. :)

Quote: JohnnyD @ June 8 2009, 11:11 AM BST

"Word Up" is played in The Simpsons "Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words" episode.

:D

Quote: Jane P @ June 8 2009, 7:44 AM BST

Ahh Hugh Laurie - did you see him on Jonathan Ross, Friday? I saw the West End show he mentioned, 'Gasping'. I never realised he was actually floating around the upper circle at the time (I needn't have wasted my money on seats at the front then!).

I saw 'Gasping' as well. I'm surprised we didn't bump into each other!(Back in 19..whatever it was.)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 8 2009, 1:17 PM BST

I saw 'Gasping' as well. I'm surprised we didn't bump into each other!(Back in 19..whatever it was.)

:) It was a good show wasn't it? Before he went on to musicals I was enjoying Ben Elton's plays - did you see the others? The main thing I remember from this one was that there was a kind of sauna on stage which sizzled and smelt like the real thing - quite pleasant!

Quote: Jane P @ June 8 2009, 1:44 PM BST

:) It was a good show wasn't it? Before he went on to musicals I was enjoying Ben Elton's plays - did you see the others? The main thing I remember from this one was that there was a kind of sauna on stage which sizzled and smelt like the real thing - quite pleasant!

To be honest, I'd forgotten all about the play until he mentioned it on Ross. The only thing I remember is a very long silent, physical sequence, maybe involving a massage? Mmm. Dunno. I also saw Silly Cow but not with Dawn French. Ah, the days when Ben Elton wrote good stuff.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 8 2009, 12:41 PM BST

Really? Which company/script? Hopefully it's not the one I've got a development deal on now. You're, of course, forgiven. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the only way you'll learn and grow. :)

'Hopefully it's not the one I've got a development deal on now' - not unless you're writing under a different name.

'You're, of course, forgiven. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the only way you'll learn and grow' - is this yet more sarcasm? Shame if it is. Although the script you sent me was rejected, I certainly had you down as 'one to watch'.

I wish you the very best of luck with your writing in the future.