Porridge - the stage show

Just been watching Channel 4 news where they ran a piece on Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais who've written a brand new Porridge stage show starring Shawn Williamson (EastEnders' Barry) as Fletch. Looks very promising.
[Rest of post edited for relevance] :)

Oooh, very exciting!

I want to see the stage show too, sounds brilliant. And I think Shaun might be perfect for the role.

Think this was probably mentioned when they announced it last year. Certainly going to try to get tickets. An exciting time for theatrical sitcoms over the past few years. The Steptoe & Son show, two versions of The New Statesman, a Last Of The Summer Wine one coming up, Porridge of course, Hi-De-Hi! I think, revival of 'Allo 'Allo!, and a tour of the Dad's Army lost episodes. Oh and that Acorn Antiques one too. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with - new productions of any of the three Carry Ons would be more than welcome here.

Quote: Aaron @ May 13 2009, 2:13 PM BST

Think this was probably mentioned when they announced it last year. Certainly going to try to get tickets. An exciting time for theatrical sitcoms over the past few years. The Steptoe & Son show, two versions of The New Statesman, a Last Of The Summer Wine one coming up, Porridge of course, Hi-De-Hi! I think, revival of 'Allo 'Allo!, and a tour of the Dad's Army lost episodes. Oh and that Acorn Antiques one too. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with - new productions of any of the three Carry Ons would be more than welcome here.

Last of the Summer Wine? Really?

http://www.theatreroyalwindsor.co.uk/event.php?id=179

Quote: Aaron @ May 13 2009, 2:13 PM BST

new productions of any of the three Carry Ons would be more than welcome here.

There were a few more than three Carry Ons, or have I missed something? Again.

Carry On stage shows.

I caught the show at the weekend and all I can say is if anyone else gets the opportunity to see the show before the end of the run then go for it. The acting was faultless with the biggest surprise coming from Shawn Williamson who absolutely nailed the part of Fletch.

The audience reaction was wonderful with so many laughing in the build-up to each gag and joining in with the punchline which, surprisingly, helped make the show work.

The only issue I had was that it could and should have been longer but then again, isn't it always the same with anything that's good.

I knew that agent off Extras would be able to get Shaun Williamson some work sooner or later.

I saw the Porridge stage show at Newcastle Theatre Royal in Autumn 2008. From Bumbling Barry to Fletch was an amazing transformation. They guy who played Mr MacKay had him down to a tee. They used plots and scenes from previous TV episodes, including Lenny Gobder in the boxing match, Fletch's daughter Ingrid visiting the jail, and the tunnel.

Characters included the daddy Grouty, and Crusher his enforcer, old timer Blanco, Black Jock McClaren, Ives the snide, and Bunny Warren.

I like the idea.

Other than the fact that it's an outlet for Barry from EastEnders.

Why does his career keep getting extended?