Psychoville - Series 1 Page 43

I suggest you just put this show out of your mind and try to think about something else, Maurice. It's not good for the blood pressure. :)

I enjoyed it. Not their best work. But it was fun and I liked their daft Tommy Cooper style jokes throughout.

Quote: Gluben @ August 2 2009, 12:56 AM BST

What? That's perfectly reasonable! Joy is deranged, George goes to hospital, finds Nicola missing, asks if anyone's seen her, they say they saw an ambulance heading towards "that old abandoned place", George heads for Ravenhill. Simple.

Why would they see where Ravenhill was? It seemed to me to be in the middle of nowhere, and Joy didn't get there until night so I would assume it was a fair drive away from the hospital. You're assuming that everyone at the hospital knew where Ravenhill was. Why would they?

What? That's perfectly reasonable! Joy is deranged, George goes to hospital, finds Nicola missing, asks if anyone's seen her, they say they saw an ambulance heading towards "that old abandoned place", George heads for Ravenhill. Simple.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: Maurice Minor @ August 2 2009, 12:57 AM BST

Maybe some people watch shows and don't notice glaring omissions -

You evidently watched a different version of the show to me; the version I watched was the comedy highlight of this year so far.

Errr

Mr Minor must be a barrel of laughs. You know he watched a Tom and Jerry once and at the end said, "As if."

Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud

Enjoyed this so very much... well, for the first two or three eps, dunno, it kinda went downhill (sadly).

Not something I would buy!

Ep1 Laughing out loud

Ep2 :D

Ep3 :)

Ep4 :$

Ep5 :(

Ep6 :|

Ep7 :(

What gluben fails to understand is that people, just like characters in TV shows, aren't 100% logical and foolproof towards error. Sure the evidence may have been there for George to realize where Joy went, but it's just as likely he's too stupid to put two and two together. Just because someone COULD have done something (ie: Tea Leaf leaving instead of sticking around), doesn't mean its a plothole if they didn't do it.

Real life contains more "plot holes" than any TV show if you don't have all the information, and you don't have all the information in a TV show, just a variety of moments from different perspectives.

I've seen this argument many times. When a character acts irrationally or does something stupid, people say it's a "plot hole" because "why would they do that when they could have done this".

Well said, Sal. :)

I concede. Well argued, everyone. I have failed epically.

Hi there everyone, new to the forums but have a poke around before, nice to be here. Anyway, thought I'd weigh in with my opinions...

Overall, I enjoyed Psychoville. Looked great, well performed and while I don't think the writing was up to the standard of some of the usual League stuff, it was still entertaining all the same. Not that I'm going to harp on about it "not being as good as the original League", because this new thing is its own animal. Steve and Reece worked brilliantly together as per usual. I'd heard them saying they weren't going to be dressing up as much as in the League, but it was a nice surprise that they got to play a few characters each. Maureen and David were without doubt, my favourite. The pair of them seemed so comfortable as those characters and they were a real lynch pin to the thing overall. That fourth episode was great, and Mark's guest appearance worked out brilliantly - nice nostalgic vibe about it, but at the same time, wasn't a rehash of something already done. I also liked the term "FUCK PIG" lol.

The rest of the characters were a mixed bag I thought. As hard as I tried, I just couldn't get into any of that dwarf drama. Certainly, one of the strengths of the show was its handling of all of these different strands, but this one just seemed a bit too detached, and in my opinion didn't really have the strength to carry itself. I wasn't flicking channels at the sight of Biggins or anything, but it didn't hold my interest as much as the other stories.

I quite enjoyed Joy and Freddie Fruitcake. Granted, it went on a bit, but I'm a sucker for Dawn doing that accent and it had some really great moments. Sort of wished they'd gone for a darker tone throughout the series though, as that character got really spooky come when it came to blood transfusions. But all in all, not a bad contribution.

The rest were pretty good. I loved Lomax and Tea Leaf, thought they were hanging round in a front room in Dudley for a little too long, but a great performance by Steve there. Mr. Jelly was entertaining enough too, glad that he was kept busier than most.

I honestly didn't think the overall story was that strong though. I know they've admitted they weren't sure of what the big mystery was whilst writing it and potential plot holes were acknowledged toward the end with the big confrontation at the asylum, but it was a bit underwhelming. But, I'm picking at things. Overall, I enjoyed it, glad some of the League are back in action and think there's certainly room for a second series. I just hope it's a bit tighter next time round.

I think that Steve and Reece are the better character writers in the League, whereas Mark and Jeremy are better plot-wise. I suppose, really, we should've been happy with any ending, given that they said they didn't know what they were working towards, but maybe that was what was missing. If they had worked out the ending first, it might've been a better overall story.

Quote: Gluben @ August 6 2009, 11:41 AM BST

I think that Steve and Reece are the better character writers in the League, whereas Mark and Jeremy are better plot-wise.

I think you're right. Both Mark and Jeremy write novels so I would imagine their strengths lie in the intricacies of the plot, whereas Steve and Reece are more interested in the characters. As a foursome they balance each other out really well.

For me I wasn't bothered about possible plot holes and inconsistencies, it was the journey and not the destination I was interested in. Rolling eyes

Saying that, if they don't get recommissioned I won't be a happy bunny as the ending left a lot in the air.