Psychoville - Series 1 Page 40

Quote: Gluben @ August 1 2009, 12:03 AM BST

I "get" it perfectly, thanks.

You evidently really, really don't.

Quote: Gluben @ August 1 2009, 12:03 AM BST

Because Nicola just phoned him and then presumably George couldn't get through to her, leading him to assume she's in danger. George knows about Joy's past, so it's perfectly safe to say that he would go there, especially if it involved Freddie in any way.

Yeahh... Errr

Quote: Gluben @ August 1 2009, 12:15 AM BST

So it does have to have a lot of logic.

Quote: zooo @ August 1 2009, 12:16 AM BST

And it does.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ August 1 2009, 11:03 AM BST

You can assume its a dummy. I'll assume it was Glen Miller. See? None of it makes sense.

Jolly held up a dummy head to Jelly to explain when he reveals himself.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 1 2009, 1:48 AM BST

(Pity that show - also directed by Matt Lipsey - never got a second series. I personally think it's some of Vic & Bob's very best work.)

There's talk of a second series now.

As for the dwarves - yes I did watch the episode - the point is they were driving in one direction - was she taking him to the hospital or her Grandma's? no matter - the point is they were driving one way purposefully, then 'ran out of petrol' and decided to walk to their destination which was suddenly in the direction they'd just come from. I hate sloppy things like that.

Why would they keep going ahead? Unless I missed something, for all we know they could still have been 10 miles from the hospital. There could have been a house or garage they'd passed a short distance back. Ok, so there wasn't any mention of such a place, but there's equally no explanation as to why they'd continue.

Why did Joy, who has fanatically clung to Freddy all these years, desperate to bring him to life, leave him during the transfusion that she believed would 'save' him? Perhaps she'd gone for a poo?

Because she thought she'd now saved him, as a nurse knew that there was nothing she could do but wait, and didn't think that there was any danger of Nicola doing ... anything.

I like plots to unfold and generally make some sort of sense; for there to be some sort of logic.

And it did. And there was. :)

"Let's mention, for the first time, a locket that nobody has spoken about, that nobody has seen and none of the other characters could give a toss about."

In every episode we learned something new. The locket wasn't answered, no, but even without a second series there's no reason it should be. It leaves the ending as ambiguously open as it started. To have it neatly wrapped up wouldn't have sat with the rest of the show.

But, taking the last episode at face value, the dwarves are to be the centre of the future plotline.

Where do you get that from? Yeah they may very well be in a hypothetical second series, but there is no reason at all why they would be central.

I liked the bit where Mr Jelly said "I'm sure not everything adds up, I'll have to go back and check". I'm sure that was a gentle swipe at internet comedy-geeks who'd no doubt be foraging for plot holes. Which they already are it seems.

IMO Psychoville has been the best comedy on telly this year. Superb writing and performances and a million miles away from most of the other crap that's adorning our screens at the moment.

Very disappointing finale. If I had written this series it would never have got commissioned. Low on laughs (though admittedly when they came they were good ones) and even lower on final resolutions. As I think I said somewhere earlier, this was like a successful bands third album, a little self-indulgent and not many good tunes, or in this case, laughs, plus Mr Jolly sounded just like the character Mike out of League of Gentlemen, even down to the intonation in his voice.

Quote: Aaron @ August 1 2009, 1:25 PM BST

There's talk of a second series now.

What?!!! Really?

*drools*

Quote: Aldeem @ August 1 2009, 2:17 PM BST

Very disappointing finale. If I had written this series it would never have got commissioned. Low on laughs (though admittedly when they came they were good ones) and even lower on final resolutions. As I think I said somewhere earlier, this was like a successful bands third album, a little self-indulgent and not many good tunes, or in this case, laughs, plus Mr Jolly Jelly sounded just like the character Mike Geoff out of League of Gentlemen, even down to the intonation in his voice.

Mike? Don't you mean Geoff?

I have the DVD in my grubby mitts (oh it's sooo pretty) and they do hint on the commentary that should a second series be commissioned, the locket will play an important role.

You can assume it's a dummy. I'll assume it was Glen Miller. See? None of it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense?! It wasn't him! He'd set up a fake for them to think he'd been murdered. You don't have to actually see what it was within the clothes for it to make sense. It wasn't him, it was stuffed with something, or a dummy, seeing for sure what it was adds nothing. It's not a plot hole.

Why would they keep going ahead? Unless I missed something, for all we know they could still have been 10 miles from the hospital. There could have been a house or garage they'd passed a short distance back. Ok, so there wasn't any mention of such a place, but there's equally no explanation as to why they'd continue.

Very good point.

If I had written this series it would never have got commissioned.

Er, yeah. Quite likely!

Where do you get that from? Yeah they may very well be in a hypothetical second series, but there is no reason at all why they would be central.

Quite. It's a show about lots of different characters, why on earth would a second series suddenly have only one character as the focal point?

If I had written this series it would never have got commissioned.

I love it when people say that just because they didn't like something.

plus Mr Jolly (JELLY!) sounded just like the character Mike out of League of Gentlemen, even down to the intonation in his voice.

It could be because he's played by the same person, but I'm just guessing. He's not 'Reece Shearsmith, the man of a million voices'; he's just a comedic actor.

Quote: zooo @ August 1 2009, 3:22 PM BST

Er, yeah. Quite likely!

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ August 1 2009, 3:22 PM BST

Er, yeah. Quite likely!

*snort*

I don't get why people think they got it commissioned because they were "famous". By the sounds of things they had quite a bit of trouble getting it commissioned. The BBC told them that dark comedy wasn't 'in' so they went away and tried to write something light. Thank God they thought 'sod that' and wrote Psychoville instead.

Quote: Mark @ August 1 2009, 12:27 AM BST

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I really didn't see the Mr Jolly twist coming either... so that was fun.

Really? The fact you didn't see him killed, or see the face of 'the body', immediately made me question why, and there could only be one reason really; that he wasn't dead. Maybe I've wathced too many thriller/horror films!

You just need to stop second guessing everything!

(Well not just you, personally, most people.)

Isn't it more fun to be taken on the journey by the programme? Instead of ruining any chance of surprises and twists by guessing all the possible outcomes before they happen?

And then *ahem, sooty* ruining it for everyone else by pontificating on the threads...

:)

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ August 1 2009, 3:28 PM BST

*snort*

I don't get why people think they got it commissioned because they were "famous". By the sounds of things they had quite a bit of trouble getting it commissioned. The BBC told them that dark comedy wasn't 'in' so they went away and tried to write something light. Thank God they thought 'sod that' and wrote Psychoville instead.

Yeah, I've read that it was a tough sell; though I'm sure that their track record didn't hurt matters! I feel slightly perturbed that they seemingly did have to work so hard to get it on. Theyr wrote one of the stand out comedy shows of the last ten years, you would have thought that should have greased the wheels a bit more!

Quote: zooo @ August 1 2009, 3:34 PM BST

You just need to stop second guessing everything!

(Well not just you, personally, most people.)

Isn't it more fun to be taken on the journey by the programme? Instead of ruining any chance of surprises and twists by guessing all the possible outcomes before they happen?

And then *ahem, sooty* ruining it for everyone else by pontificating on the threads...

:)

Hey what did I do? Other than being criminally handsome.