BBC College of Comedy 2 Page 14

Thank you all for the advice, will do that then, although I've still got to finish the script.

Probably won't get on the CoC anyway so it makes sense to take the money.

Given that Michael Jacob has said it won't be a conflict, I think that's your answer there.

The script you submit to CoC is purely a calling card anyway.

I'm sure you'll think up a new script if you get into the college.

Yeah I appreciate that, but I've got plenty of calling cards. And if the script is good enough to be optioned by a big production company then surely that suggests it's a strong piece of work that the BBC might be interested in developing themselves? That was my dilemma.

As this scheme is for people who are already relatively established, rather than beginners, it's unlikely that anyone sent a 'calling card' as their 10 page example - but rather their strongest piece of work. The competition standard is that high that I don't doubt people have wheeled out their big gun scripts.

I mean if Gervais and Merchant were entering and submitted the first ten pages of The Office, are people saying that they should cast those ten pages aside and develop something else? I doubt it.

Yeah I appreciate that, but I've got plenty of calling cards. And if the script is good enough to be optioned by a big production company then surely that suggests it's a strong piece of work that the BBC might be interested in developing themselves? That was my dilemma.

Ah, I see. It really depends, I suppose, on who you want to develop the script. The Beeb or those other guys.

Quote: Biggirlsblouse @ May 5 2009, 10:33 PM BST

I mean if Gervais and Merchant were entering and submitted the first ten pages of The Office, are people saying that they should cast those ten pages aside and develop something else? I doubt it.

If they were they wouldn't probably wouldn't get in with them. You say you haven't finished your script. If the deal is on the table - take it. Worry about getting accepted on the comedy college if you do.

As this scheme is for people who are already relatively established, rather than beginners, it's unlikely that anyone sent a 'calling card' as their 10 page example - but rather their strongest piece of work. The competition standard is that high that I don't doubt people have wheeled out their big gun scripts.

Well obviously, but as has already been stated, I think one of the points of the course is to develop something brand new during it, not just to polish a script you already have.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 6 2009, 8:54 AM BST

Well obviously, but as has already been stated, I think one of the points of the course is to develop something brand new during it, not just to polish a script you already have.

To be honest the skills you'll learn on the course can only benefit what ever scripts you have anyway.

I think the CoC are looking for people who can turn out various scripts. You can work on several projects at once.

Yeah, for starters, writers will be attached to a production, which I assume, depending on their style of writing, will be it of My Family, Two Pints, Grownups, etc, so therefore, you'll need storylining ideas for that.

Then there's, as previously stated, the mentoring of the "original script" from the ground up which wil be showcased on stage at the end of the course.

So basically, multiple ideas are essential.

I for one can't stop writing at the moment. I must have written at least 7 pilots this year alone, 3 of them sitcoms.

Quote: Griff @ May 6 2009, 1:15 PM BST

Keep it up and you'll have 20 by the end of the year! Awesome!

:O

I'm all sitcomed out now. :P
The next projects I've planned are one-off dramas.
Just building myself a nice portfolio of stuff. :)

Oh, and I'm writing lots of notes/potential plots etc for other episodes of those pilots, should they get picked up my prodcos.

Speaking of which, a prodco are interested in my radio sitcom, and are looking to develop a pilot to pitch to Radio 4, so things are starting to happen for me. :)

Nice!

I wish I could think up half a dozen sitcoms. I could barely manage half of one episode of one sitcom.

Good luck, Mikey! Hope it gets somewhere with the commissioners! Let us know of any developments.

Dan

Well done Mikey - that's great news.